Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where to rabbit hunt?

• 29-02-2008 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

im a newbie:
    hi can anyone give me an idea where to start shooting rabbits in the drogheda/meath area i have cz452 .22

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

try getting in touch with a few farmers.. just turn up with the gun. rabbits like hilly ground... just get out of the oxygen tent!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Eh yea hilly areas or areas that have soil thats easily burrowed!
    Most hedge grows are full of them!
    Keep the shots inside 80 yrds any way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

im a newbie:
    hi can anyone give me an idea where to start shooting rabbits in the drogheda/meath area i have cz452 .22

hello sledgehhammer and welcome i only have a burno .22:(
    you get a cz 452 .22:Dgreat rifle:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Eh yea hilly areas or areas that have soil thats easily burrowed!
    Most hedge grows are full of them!
    Keep the shots inside 80 yrds any way!

Id second this, if you have the time head out early morning usually alot about. Over the next few months will be great with the long evenings .. Around june or july when the sun does not go down till around 9 ish head out around 6 ish for a few hours you are sure to get a good bag full. :D
    Safe hunting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 breatta

If you know any land owners around Slane lots of them there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is it not a bit early to start shooting the fellas?

Mellor wrote: »
    Is it not a bit early to start shooting the fellas?

i wouldn't say it was a bit early. I'd say it was a bit late!!! the real hunting season for rabbits is in the winter months when they're not reproducing!! the doe's tend to have a poorer meat at this time as they give up a lot of energy in an effort to produce milk for their kids. bucks on the other hand are fine..
    but if you like hunting rabbit for sport then you need to provide them with breeding time. If your out hunting in the high summer evenings, chances are you,ll be putting a dent in next years numbers..thats OK if you are trying to rid the land of rabbits but its not a good thing if you'll be back next year look for a bit of craic
    The old wise man said only hunt rabbits in months which contain the letter "R" in their names, this gives a rough guide but its only a guide
    so September, October November December and January February March April. personally i think that even March and April are too late: but hey:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sledgehammer

thanks guys some good tips there.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Winter coat also makes for nicer pelts

kowloon wrote: »
    Winter coat also makes for nicer pelts
    That a good point!! do you tan any pelts yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I've started freezing them with plans to try out tanning them when theres a big batch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

there are some great spots i use round slane for huntin rabbits shotgun style, there are a few landowners there that will have no probs letting you loose on the rabbits, even some spots with big fat dopey rabbits you can hunt in the middle of the day ;)

Advertisement