Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland recognizes Kosova

Options
  • 29-02-2008 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Minister for Foreign Affairs Dermot Ahern TD Announces Ireland’s recognition of the Republic of Kosovo

29/02/2008

The Minister for Foreign Affairs, Dermot Ahern T.D., announced today that the Government has recognised the independence of the Republic of Kosovo.
    The recognition of Kosovo by Government decision follows a resolution by the Kosovo Assembly on 17th February to declare Kosovo independent. Minister Ahern signalled then that he would recommend that the Government recognise its independence.
    The Minister said: “We regret that years of talks failed to produce an agreement between Belgrade and Pristina. The reality is that the legacy of the conflict of the late 1990s made the return of Serb dominion in Kosovo unthinkable, and also undermined the prospects for a long-sought compromise. After almost nine years under UN-led interim administration, more than 90% of Kosovo’s population wants independence, and this is supported by most of our partners in the EU, many of whom have already recognised Kosovo.”
    “Ireland strongly supported last year’s proposal by the UN Secretary General’s Special Envoy on Kosovo, former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari, which recommended that Kosovo’s status should be independence, supervised by the international community. This proposal included detailed provisions concerning the promotion and protection of the rights of communities and their members. I am pleased to note the commitment by Kosovo to implement fully the Ahtisaari recommendations.
    “I know that the independence of Kosovo is painful for Serbia, and difficult to accept. And I want to underline that recognition of Kosovo is not an act of hostility toward Serbia. I hope that Serbia and Kosovo can soon begin to put their tragic shared past behind them and move toward a brighter future together in Europe. I look forward to future friendly relations between Ireland and Kosovo.”

Note for Editors:
    On 17 February, the Kosovo Assembly adopted a resolution which declared Kosovo to be “a democratic, secular and multi-ethnic republic, guided by the principles of non-discrimination and equal protection under the law”. It undertook to implement the obligations set out in the Ahtisaari proposal for a final status settlement, emphasising “those that protect and promote the rights of communities and their members”.
    At the General Affairs and External Relations Council (GAERC) on 18 February, EU Foreign Ministers underlined that Kosovo represented a unique case because of the legacy of the conflict of the 1990s and the fact that it has been under international administration since 1999 as provided for in UN Security Council Resolution 1244. It noted that “Member States will decide, in accordance with national practice and international law, on their relations with Kosovo.”
    As of 28 February, a number of countries have already recognised Kosovo, including the US, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Poland, Denmark, Belgium, Latvia, Estonia, Luxembourg, Australia and Turkey. Many others, including a large majority of EU Member States, have indicated their intention to do so.

Its official along with so many others
    http://www.kosovothanksyou.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭SeanW

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Good to hear :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭mick72

Very good.

Will they need visa to enter Ireland? Since most Albanians from Kosovo came to Ireland on the humanitarian grounds i.e. refugees, does that mean they will be served notice from immigration police?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

mick72 wrote: »
    Very good.

Will they need visa to enter Ireland? Since most Albanians from Kosovo came to Ireland on the humanitarian grounds i.e. refugees, does that mean they will be served notice from immigration police?

Yes it is very good for them :)

Yes like all countries they will need visa.

Police from immigration by what do you mean with that statement?

And remember they will be applying for EU and UN membership so the doors will be open for them to work and travel freely.
    Which also means they can be granted to stay and work in their adopted countries which some will and some wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Since most Albanians from Kosovo came to Ireland on the humanitarian grounds i.e. refugees...
    I didn't realise there were that many? According to the Irish Refugee Council, there were a whopping 24 cases of Kosovars being recognised as refugees in Ireland in 2004.
    ...does that mean they will be served notice from immigration police?
    Why?

• Advertisement

Well,

if you come here on the humanitarian basis such as persecution, refugees or whatever the situation and that's the grounds of your stay in Ireland, then once that obstacle is removed, what's the grounds of your residence here?

I do not know how Kosovo will ever become part of the EU since all EU states have to ratify such membership?

...if you come here on the humanitarian basis such as persecution, refugees or whatever the situation and that's the grounds of your stay in Ireland, then once that obstacle is removed, what's the grounds of your residence here?
    If you've been granted permanent residence, I don't think you can be deported, if that's what you're saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

I feel for the Serbs, they will have nothing left soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

CPT. SURF wrote: »
    I feel for the Serbs, they will have nothing left soon

Serbia, they will have Serbia. Its pretty big. Its what they had at the start before Serbian expansion in the 19th century.

You needn't feel for Serbia; as far as I understand Kosovo has always been burden not only for them but for the whole of former Yugoslavia.

Kosovo is a very poor region and was kept alive by federal and serbian subsidies. Independence of Kosovo will not solve any single problem of its citizens. Economic basis of Kosovo makes me pessimistic about abilities to suvive as an independent state.

As well as that vast majority of the UN members are not going to recognise Kosovo, which effectively means that its citizens will not be able to travel into these countries with Kosovo passport. Russia and China will veto any Kosovo attempt to join various organisations. In addition to this, Kosovo's major problem is that Serbia is united in terms of Kosovo's independence and will certainly use its military power at some stage to recover Kosovo.

I can't see any investment going into Kosovo given its relationship with Serbia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

"The reality is that the legacy of the conflict of the late 1990s made the return of Serb dominion in Kosovo unthinkable"
    On the bal, dermot.

To all those anti kosovars here, would you have Ireland put back under the brutal regime of the Brits???Remember the black and tans?? Because Serbia didnt treat Kosovo any better whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

shqipshume wrote: »
    And remember they will be applying for EU and UN membership so the doors will be open for them to work and travel freely.Which also means they can be granted to stay and work in their adopted countries which some will and some wont.
    Not going to happen. The people of Europe have had enough of the expansion of the EU and DO NOT WANT the likes of Albania/Kosovo in the union. I do not believe Albanians share the core values of the European Union, which to my mind has gone too far already.

I have met and worked countless western, central and eastern europeans. The majority decent people with a strong work ethic. I have never met anyone from Albania/Kosovo in a work context.

As far as I know, Ireland's and the UK's borders to all new EU countries remain closed, after the excessive amount of immigrants that came in (polish in our case)

turgon wrote: »
    "The reality is that the legacy of the conflict of the late 1990s made the return of Serb dominion in Kosovo unthinkable"
    On the bal, dermot.

To all those anti kosovars here, would you have Ireland put back under the brutal regime of the Brits???Remember the black and tans?? Because Serbia didnt treat Kosovo any better whatsoever.

I agree to a certain extent. But why independence 8 years after Serbian Army left Kosovo? Serbs got rid of Milosevic and all that regime in 2000.

Germany united in 1990; only 45 years after what they did which was on much larger scale to anything Serbs did

Germany united in 1990; only 45 years after what they did which was on much larger scale to anything Serbs did

I think thats irrelevant, it wasnt as if the states of western europe tried to kill lots of people in the east. You are talking as if serbia didnt do anything in Kosovo. Which, obviously, they did

Serbia did not do in Kosovo anything that Croatia did not do to local Serbs who still live in Serbia after Croatian Army drove them all out. Do I have to remind you that the Krajina in Croatia was under UN protection? Kosovo was under no such protection plus NATO started bombing Serbia without UN backing.

When Iraq was killing the Kurds in Northern Iraq they got bombs as well, as we see Turkish Army is doing the same at the moment; however they are not being bombed into submission.

C'mon, I hope you don't believe to all this humanitarian bullsh1t

murphaph wrote: »
    I do not believe Albanians share the core values of the European Union, which to my mind has gone too far already.
    :confused: What are the core values of the average Albanian? What has gone too far?
    As far as I know, Ireland's and the UK's borders to all new EU countries remain closed, after the excessive amount of immigrants that came in (polish in our case)
    Which EU countries are you referring to?

Romania and Bulgaria

Romania and Bulgaria
    Ireland's "borders" are not closed to Romanian and Bulgarian citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Not going to happen. The people of Europe have had enough of the expansion of the EU and DO NOT WANT the likes of Albania/Kosovo in the union. I do not believe Albanians share the core values of the European Union, which to my mind has gone too far already.

Unless you control the European Parliament :D...How do you know the EU do not want Albania/Kosovo?
    I have met and worked countless western, central and eastern europeans. The majority decent people with a strong work ethic. I have never met anyone from Albania/Kosovo in a work context.

So you pass judgment on the work ethic of Albania/Kosovo people you've never worked with?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    :confused: What are the core values of the average Albanian? What has gone too far?
    EU expansion has gone too far. This is evidenced by the negative votes of Dutch and French electorate over the failed EU Constitution. The core values of the average Albanian can best be summed up with the hours of CCTV footage I have of them shoplifting at will. Usually accompanied by their offspring who are learning the tricks of the trade. Albanians form a disproportionately high number of shoplifters arrested for their supposed small numbers here.

Quite honestly I do not want Albanians to have freedom of movement across the EU. I do not believe Bulgaria should have been admitted either.

gurramok wrote: »
    Unless you control the European Parliament :D...How do you know the EU do not want Albania/Kosovo?
    The French and Dutch electorate have already told the EU what they think of further expansion: non/nej!
    So you pass judgment on the work ethic of Albania/Kosovo people you've never worked with?:rolleyes:
    Are you serious? Did you really miss my blindingly obvious point: I have worked with all manner of europeans from west to east. I have never worked with an Albanian/Kosovan. Get it now?

The French and Dutch electorate have already told the EU what they think of further expansion: non/nej!

They voted against the Euro constitution at the time.
    Are you serious? Did you really miss my blindingly obvious point: I have worked with all manner of europeans from west to east. I have never worked with an Albanian/Kosovan. Get it now?

Re-read your post. You stated that the Albanians don't have core European values and then you praise the work ethic of other EE's yet you imply that the Albanians don't have a work ethic.

You seem to have an unjustified chip on your shoulder about Albanians.

They voted against the Euro constitution at the time.
    Ok, we know that. What was the EU constitution about? Why do you think it was rejected by two countries at the very heart of the EU? Do you think people read the actual constitution cover to cover before voting 'no' because they didn't like some particular point in Chapter 2, Paragraph 5, Subsection 3 or whatever? Be realistic-people voted against further EU expansion when they rejected the constitution. The constitution would have allowed further expansion without the need for a new treaty to be ratified by all existing states each and every time.
    Re-read your post. You stated that the Albanians don't have core European values and then you praise the work ethic of other EE's yet you imply that the Albanians don't have a work ethic.
    The penny drops. Albanians don't have a work ethic.
    You seem to have an unjustified chip on your shoulder about Albanians.
    My experience with them says otherwise however I wouldn't describe it as a chip more a dislike.

Ok, we know that. What was the EU constitution about? Why do you think it was rejected by two countries at the very heart of the EU? Do you think people read the actual constitution cover to cover before voting 'no' because they didn't like some particular point in Chapter 2, Paragraph 5, Subsection 3 or whatever? Be realistic-people voted against further EU expansion when they rejected the constitution. The constitution would have allowed further expansion without the need for a new treaty to be ratified by all existing states each and every time.

They voted against excessive powers being transferred to Brussels and saw the whole thing as being undemocratic.
    The penny drops. Albanians don't have a work ethic.

So despite you have never met an Albanian, you call them lazy('not having work ethic')...you have proof of this?
    My experience with them says otherwise however I wouldn't describe it as a chip more a dislike.

You had said you had never worked with an Albanian before yet you dislike them, why oh why??

They voted against excessive powers being transferred to Brussels and saw the whole thing as being undemocratic.
    Vague! They actually voted against the ability for the EU to expand without further consultation with the people. The tolerant dutch voted against it having just had an openly homosexual politician murdered by islamofascists (muslims who can't/won't conform to established rules of the societies they have adopted as home) and they feared the further infiltration of Europe by less tolerant types from the east. Are you stating categorically here that the majority of EU citizens are in favour of further expansion to include the likes of Albania? Don't make me laugh.
    So despite you have never met an Albanian, you call them lazy('not having work ethic')...you have proof of this?
    I have met Albanians. More than enough for this lifetime.
    You had said you had never worked with an Albanian before yet you dislike them, why oh why??
    Are you for real? I said I have experience of them, but not in a work context. I have only ever met them when they were caught stealing things. Is that clear enough?

I agree that Albanians do not share european values.

Serbs fell for it when they engaged the army to fight them and the media blew it out of proportion. KLA had killed more than 1,000 policemen on regular duty in the years predeeding any Serbian use of force. Even the US declared the KLA as a terrorist organisation at the time; however I do not know why they switched to support them eventually. Perhaps this documentary explains that to an extent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c9CHZqwCM4

It well known that Kosovo is a major route for human trafficking and drugs smuggling and I think Serbia is much better off without them. I just do not understand why Serbia is still repaying Kosovo's loans (€300m), and why are they still supplying them electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

How about we keep all the off-topic EU Expansion/Does A Single Albanian Have A Job rants to another thread and keep this one related to Kosovan recognition? To be clear, this isn't a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I agree that Albanians do not share european values.

Serbs fell for it when they engaged the army to fight them and the media blew it out of proportion. KLA had killed more than 1,000 policemen on regular duty in the years predeeding any Serbian use of force. Even the US declared the KLA as a terrorist organisation at the time; however I do not know why they switched to support them eventually. Perhaps this documentary explains that to an extent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c9CHZqwCM4

It well known that Kosovo is a major route for human trafficking and drugs smuggling and I think Serbia is much better off without them. I just do not understand why Serbia is still repaying Kosovo's loans (€300m), and why are they still supplying them electricity.

I do nt know if you are employed by the Serb propaganda minstry but it is interesting that you share some crazy thoughts here.
    The numbers of Serb police killed did not pass 2 dozen and that gave the serb machinery the "right" to go in an conduct ethnic cleansing.
    Many if not most Kosovars were opposed to violence but nevertheless they were expelled from their homes and made to go to Albania (my in-laws BTW) and as they left their houses, their ID cards, passports etc were conficrayted in a move to erase them from all records.
    You see to live in a loo-la land but thank God not many people out there believe you asnd people of your "caliber"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

This is a racist and at the same time insultive statement. I am surprised that the mod's have not deleted it.
    If you have never met an Albanian (Kosovar) in a work context and yet again you judge them.
    You pertain to be cosmpolitan citizen (by virtue of the facty that you have met and worked with many people) and yet you make racist comments and judge people without knowing any of them.
    What can I say other than as part of the diversity amongs people, one can expect to meet all kinds of people. Amongst them people challenged in many ways.

Not to stray away from the topic, I wish to say that the independence of Kosova is a positive trend and it is a clear message to dictators and other tyrants that their reign will not be tolerated.

Advertisement