Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland recognizes Kosova

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭mick72

Regedit, the same goes for you.

You might be employed by Albanian propaganda too. Albanians in Kosovo always boycotted Yugoslav and Serbian laws. It is wrong to blame only Serbia for Albanians misfortunes in Kosovo. Large albanians rally's were held throughout times of ex Yugoslavia when local Serbian authorities were quite liberal. There was no sight of Slobodan Milosevic in 1981 for example.

Kosovo is a very poor region and within the old federation Slovenia was first to stop sending large subsidies to keep Kosovo alive. Even it Tito's Yugoslavia, which was well respected country, Albanians did not have a status of a Yugoslav nation, but that of ethnic minority. And Yugoslav constitution of 1974 gives a right of self determination only to nations: Serbs, Croats, Slovenes, Montenegrin, Macedonians and Muslims.

I personally believe that Albanians did ask for trouble in Kosovo. How many Albanians were expelled from Belgrade or Novi Sad or some other parts of Serbia? How come Serbian army did not expell ethnic Hungarians or Slovaks from Vojvodina?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭duggie-89

well its a pity the couldn't come to a settlement but if it was the will of thepeople then so be it. thats democracy unfourtanely lol

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

mick72 wrote: »
    Regedit, the same goes for you.

You might be employed by Albanian propaganda too. Albanians in Kosovo always boycotted Yugoslav and Serbian laws. It is wrong to blame only Serbia for Albanians misfortunes in Kosovo. Large albanians rally's were held throughout times of ex Yugoslavia when local Serbian authorities were quite liberal. There was no sight of Slobodan Milosevic in 1981 for example.

Kosovo is a very poor region and within the old federation Slovenia was first to stop sending large subsidies to keep Kosovo alive. Even it Tito's Yugoslavia, which was well respected country, Albanians did not have a status of a Yugoslav nation, but that of ethnic minority. And Yugoslav constitution of 1974 gives a right of self determination only to nations: Serbs, Croats, Slovenes, Montenegrin, Macedonians and Muslims.

I personally believe that Albanians did ask for trouble in Kosovo. How many Albanians were expelled from Belgrade or Novi Sad or some other parts of Serbia? How come Serbian army did not expell ethnic Hungarians or Slovaks from Vojvodina?

I do not think that you deserve my attention any more mick72. I have argued with you in a few threads producing facts and in the absence of facts, you throw at us rubish insulting our intelligence. While it is your democratic right to say whatever you want, this needs to have some substance and not hearsay from your gradparents.
    I am open minded and have many serb frinds (do you have any albanians?).
    I know what 90% of serbs think about Kosova and TBH, I do not give a dime. It is important what the civilised people think of the newest country in Europe. You go ahead and rant about electricity and Novi Sad.
    Finally:
    Quote from "Deobe"(Divisions)1961.Volume I,page 135: "A lie,trait of our patriotism" “We lie to deceive ourselves, to console others, we lie for mercy, we lie to fight fear, to encourage ourselves, to hide our and somebody else’s misery. We lie for love and honesty. We lie because of freedom. Lying is a trait of our patriotism and the proof of our innate intelligence. We lie creatively, imaginatively and inventively."
    This is just some food for thought for the rest. do a search on Google to discover who Dobrica Cosic (the author of the quote is) and you will draw some conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Why did it take nearly a week for Ireland to come out and say it recognised Kosovo's Indepedence? It's shouldn't really be that heard to contepmlate, especially for Ireland

Regedit,

now you can finally return to Kosovo and enjoy the economic stability

• Advertisement

Regedit,

now you can finally return to Kosovo and enjoy the economic stability

I am an Irish citizen from birth and have been living here for a long time.
    Ireland is my country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

regedit wrote: »
    This is a racist and at the same time insultive statement. I am surprised that the mod's have not deleted it.
    If you have never met an Albanian (Kosovar) in a work context and yet again you judge them.
    You pertain to be cosmpolitan citizen (by virtue of the facty that you have met and worked with many people) and yet you make racist comments and judge people without knowing any of them.
    What can I say other than as part of the diversity amongs people, one can expect to meet all kinds of people. Amongst them people challenged in many ways.

Not to stray away from the topic, I wish to say that the independence of Kosova is a positive trend and it is a clear message to dictators and other tyrants that their reign will not be tolerated.
    I have hours of CCTV footage of what Albanians do best-stealing. As part of my job I hire people-I get CVs from people from all over the world and have hired people from every continent. I have NEVER even received an Albanian CV, wonder why that is. I am being open and honest here-I know there must be some decent Albanians, but not many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 STEVO B

shqipshume wrote: »
    Minister for Foreign Affairs Dermot Ahern TD Announces Ireland’s recognition of the Republic of Kosovo

29/02/2008

The Minister for Foreign Affairs, Dermot Ahern T.D., announced today that the Government has recognised the independence of the Republic of Kosovo.
    The recognition of Kosovo by Government decision follows a resolution by the Kosovo Assembly on 17th February to declare Kosovo independent. Minister Ahern signalled then that he would recommend that the Government recognise its independence.
    The Minister said: “We regret that years of talks failed to produce an agreement between Belgrade and Pristina. The reality is that the legacy of the conflict of the late 1990s made the return of Serb dominion in Kosovo unthinkable, and also undermined the prospects for a long-sought compromise. After almost nine years under UN-led interim administration, more than 90% of Kosovo’s population wants independence, and this is supported by most of our partners in the EU, many of whom have already recognised Kosovo.”
    “Ireland strongly supported last year’s proposal by the UN Secretary General’s Special Envoy on Kosovo, former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari, which recommended that Kosovo’s status should be independence, supervised by the international community. This proposal included detailed provisions concerning the promotion and protection of the rights of communities and their members. I am pleased to note the commitment by Kosovo to implement fully the Ahtisaari recommendations.
    “I know that the independence of Kosovo is painful for Serbia, and difficult to accept. And I want to underline that recognition of Kosovo is not an act of hostility toward Serbia. I hope that Serbia and Kosovo can soon begin to put their tragic shared past behind them and move toward a brighter future together in Europe. I look forward to future friendly relations between Ireland and Kosovo.”

Note for Editors:
    On 17 February, the Kosovo Assembly adopted a resolution which declared Kosovo to be “a democratic, secular and multi-ethnic republic, guided by the principles of non-discrimination and equal protection under the law”. It undertook to implement the obligations set out in the Ahtisaari proposal for a final status settlement, emphasising “those that protect and promote the rights of communities and their members”.
    At the General Affairs and External Relations Council (GAERC) on 18 February, EU Foreign Ministers underlined that Kosovo represented a unique case because of the legacy of the conflict of the 1990s and the fact that it has been under international administration since 1999 as provided for in UN Security Council Resolution 1244. It noted that “Member States will decide, in accordance with national practice and international law, on their relations with Kosovo.”
    As of 28 February, a number of countries have already recognised Kosovo, including the US, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Poland, Denmark, Belgium, Latvia, Estonia, Luxembourg, Australia and Turkey. Many others, including a large majority of EU Member States, have indicated their intention to do so.

Its official along with so many others
    http://www.kosovothanksyou.com/

Im sure this sparked joyous scenes in Kosovo & they partied long into the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

murphaph wrote: »
    I have hours of CCTV footage of what Albanians do best-stealing. As part of my job I hire people-I get CVs from people from all over the world and have hired people from every continent. I have NEVER even received an Albanian CV, wonder why that is. I am being open and honest here-I know there must be some decent Albanians, but not many.

Funny that, your the only one thats claimed such views, any proof of this by way of hordes of offenders dragged to court on charges of theft?

If you had not of noticed, Albania is a small country with a population smaller than ours, there wouldn't be that many going to little Ireland which is so far away.
    Maybe that will improve now that Kosovo is independent and Albania itself will be more settled in the region with no threats from a certain country.

Labelling 4-5million Albanians in the region as a bunch of thieves is outrageous and shameful :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Seriously man, what's your beef with Albania? And besides, we're talking about KOSOVO!

• Advertisement

Just wondering what do you do for a living?
    Are you paranoid by default or by profession?
    As someone said, Albania is a small country and at the same time poor so it is highly unlikely that you would have met many.
    You should be able to make a difference between Albanians and Kosovar Albanians but it seems you are not able to do that either. Anyway, I have met a few Irish, Serb, Swiss etc scumbaggs but iot would never cross my mind to generalise the matter (I presume that is where the education-both academic and the one obtained from the family kicks in!) Good luck in your CCTV-ing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yawns to the PC-brigade. I am stating facts known to me. If you have problems with that, well, tough. Enjoy your outrage.

Yawns to the PC-brigade. I am stating facts known to me. If you have problems with that, well, tough. Enjoy your outrage.

I coud say i.e. all people of X country are idiots because I know that these are facts.
    Seriously man, use your grey matter for something! Does this make you an idiot or the people of contry X (even thoug you(think) you have arguments?

BTW, another state to recognise Kosova is Slovenia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

:eek:I find great hypocrisy and rudeness and racism towards Albanian people as a whole, when truth is i have come across many people who work with them in construction world.They are well thought of and respected by their employers.
    In the last 12 years and some many years previous they are apart of our society. Some came before Yugoslavia broke up as Yugoslavian as that's what their passports had on them.

You never see Albanians in the news papers here and alot of the insinuations made are made by propaganda,
    Every country has criminal element and not long ago they said it was the Italians who were the biggest drug dealers and criminals and now its the Albanians,it was the Romanians,haha pointing fingers is typical.

Ireland was not so long ago thought of as third world country,and with Funding and support it grew so Albania and kosova will aswell.
    When u are no longer oppressed and spoken of as a terrorist country in its extremes as i might add also Ireland was considered not so long ago u will grow economically as all countries do.
    You gotta start somewhere

P.S Thank you for all ur replies has been very interesting 2 view so many different debates,some very factual and i am astonished and happy to see how well educated some of u are on the matter at hand.
    And for other i reiterate when u try to argue ur facts bring some facts with you.As propaganda is dying very quickly as u can see.

Iceland Recognized :cool:

Not going to happen. The people of Europe have had enough of the expansion of the EU and DO NOT WANT the likes of Albania/Kosovo in the union. I do not believe Albanians share the core values of the European Union, which to my mind has gone too far already.

I have met and worked countless western, central and eastern Europeans. The majority decent people with a strong work ethic. I have never met anyone from Albania/Kosovo in a work context.

And again please tell us your amazing source of information. You have no idea what the governments want.

Well with that mentality i am glad they haven't had to meet you!

Albania and Kosova have high fuel economy in both. Albania has the largest water resources in Europe as well. They also have turn out of highest academic achievement in University and college, hence been granted enrolment into USA universities.

I dont have the figures the mines in Kosova are worth but i know its over the millions mark. They are not poor in resources and with little bit of funding they will flourish.

while also u say u doubt they want Kosova or Albania in EU or UN as opposed to Serbia. After the show of aggression towards all people who recognized Kosova.

Albania always had water resources, and the cleanest sea. So what was stopping them to develop tourism on a large scale?

Kosovo is a Nato state as long as Nato is there. Kosovo will never become a member of United Nations, so all it can do is develop relations with countries that have recognised Kosovo.

Has anyone any statistics on Kosovo and Albania? Then we could perhaps draw some comparisons in terms of economy, culture etc..

Why do you think that Ireland was thought of as a third world country? On what grounds do you justify that?

Albania always had water resources, and the cleanest sea. So what was stopping them to develop tourism on a large scale?
    They are. Remember, Albania was a communist state until '92. There were teething problems in switching to democracy, but things seem to be picking up now - the standard of living is steadily increasing.
    Has anyone any statistics on Kosovo and Albania?
    What sort of statistics?
    Why do you think that Ireland was thought of as a third world country? On what grounds do you justify that?
    Oh, come on. We all remember Ireland pre-1990's. It was a developing country and we're still playing catch-up.

Kosovo is a Nato state as long as Nato is there. Kosovo will never become a member of United Nations, so all it can do is develop relations with countries that have recognised Kosovo.

Has anyone any statistics on Kosovo and Albania? Then we could perhaps draw some comparisons in terms of economy, culture etc..

I do not mean to be disrespectful but I do not think you are aware of your state of mind.
    You can label an individual as stupid, ignorant or backward but when you stigmatise a whole nation, then you are deemed a racist, fascist or demented.

Albania was oppressed under Hoxha for 50+ years and even before that they did not enjoy much liberty (occupied up the beginning of 20 century for 500 years by the Turks. So, it is a new state that has passed through difficult periods in the near past (the collapse of pyramid schemes). As stated previously, the mentality of Albanians from Albania is somewhat different than the Kosovar Albanians.

I for one do not work in the construction but I know for sure that Albanians in Switzerland and Germany (most of them are Kosovars are highly respected and do not end up often in black chronicles of local press). They are honest and proud of who they are.

Yes, Kosovo is poor but we might discuss why has this been so? Even though during the communist rule Kosova gained some rights, it was economically underdeveloped as there were no investments coming in! The mines of Trepca worked in 2 shifts and they got large quantities of gold etc but again, very little went back into Kosova. There was a say “Trepca is working-Belgrade been built”

Finally, it is better to be poor then oppressed.

And to add, Ireland was poor up to the 90. I was here and I know. I travelled a lot throughout Europe and can make comparisoms. We still lack the infrastructure of most EU countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'd be interested to hear how people compare this on a legal level with the Iraq war. There appears to be more popular support for this here on Boards than the war, yet both were essentially unilateral moves that were taken because they would have failed to gain UN legitimacy.

I'd be interested to hear how people compare this on a legal level with the Iraq war. There appears to be more popular support for this here on Boards than the war, yet both were essentially unilateral moves that were taken because they would have failed to gain UN legitimacy.

If the "application" for Kosova's independence had gone through the General Assembly, I am convinced that most countries would voted for the independence of Kosova. Because if went through the Security Council, that is why Russia and potentially China would have vetoes the decision. Kosova represents a unique case, most people say that. A special envoy was chosen to try and solve the issue but Ahtisaari wasn't able to please both so he decided the way he did. It does not stand that justice is on the side of Serbia as Kosova was not always part of Serbia. It was given to Serbia by the will of the big powers after the Berlin Congress!
    It was oppressed by Serbia for a long time and everything escalated in 1999.

• Advertisement

If the "application" for Kosova's independence had gone through the General Assembly, I am convinced that most countries would voted for the independence of Kosova. Because if went through the Security Council, that is why Russia and potentially China would have vetoes the decision.
    That it would have won a vote of the General Assembly, the outcome is debatable - I think you'll find that the vast majority of nations have not yet recognized Kosovo as a sovereign state, as of the current date.

Even if what you say were true, that still does not make it legal as it would have to go through a vote of the Security Council and Russia would have vetoed it, just as France would have vetoed an invasion of Iraq.
    Kosova represents a unique case, most people say that.
    Most people don't say that. Most who support the Kosovo cause say that and most who support the Serbian cause say the opposite, but the reality is that this is an issue that has not actually been properly debated yet.
    A special envoy was chosen to try and solve the issue but Ahtisaari wasn't able to please both so he decided the way he did. It does not stand that justice is on the side of Serbia as Kosova was not always part of Serbia.
    Justice was also one of the terms used by the Bush administration in their justification of the Iraq war.
    It was given to Serbia by the will of the big powers after the Berlin Congress!
    Well not exactly, Kosovo was periodically part of Serbia prior to that, so it's not like there was no history there - there's a reason for the etymology of 'balkanized' after all.

And even if it was all down to the congress of Berlin, that was almost 150 years ago - or should we discount all it 'gave'? Shall we return Bulgaria to the Turks?
    It was oppressed by Serbia for a long time and everything escalated in 1999.
    Well, apparently so, but my question was not on what people felt was right or wrong, but on what was legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭cabinteelytom

I don't support this hasty recognition of a 'state' of one and a half million land-locked people whose badge of identity is their religion. We have become part of the diplomatic and economic support to an unnatural statelet which is likely to need artificial support for all of it's controversial existence.
    Firstly the onus is on the people of Kosovo to make themselves a nation-state ; and that is not what has happened here. The independence of Kosovo owes more to US and EU sponsorship than to 'Kosovo's fight for freedom'; that would be a slim volume indeed.
    The temptations to diverge from neutrality are many and plausible and sometimes even appeal to altruism or idealism. We should recognise a new state unwillingly carved out of an existing state only after it's viability or a 'need' for it has been demonstrated. And not play patsy to superpower power games.
    Likewise I don't want to give money or blood to defend Gibraltar's 'right to exist' or Mellila or Ceuta.

Here i think this will answer some of the questions,

And for the ones who want to see a little bit of what they have 2 offer here u go Enjoy:) beautiful Also answers some economic questions for some. I am 2 tired today 2 have a debate
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=LYTtny0OP2k

I do not mean to be disrespectful but I do not think you are aware of your state of mind.
    You can label an individual as stupid, ignorant or backward but when you stigmatise a whole nation, then you are deemed a racist, fascist or demented.
    Albania was oppressed under Hoxha for 50+ years and even before that they did not enjoy much liberty (occupied up the beginning of 20 century for 500 years by the Turks. So, it is a new state that has passed through difficult periods in the near past (the collapse of pyramid schemes). As stated previously, the mentality of Albanians from Albania is somewhat different than the Kosovar Albanians.
    I for one do not work in the construction but I know for sure that Albanians in Switzerland and Germany (most of them are Kosovars are highly respected and do not end up often in black chronicles of local press). They are honest and proud of who they are.
    Yes, Kosovo is poor but we might discuss why has this been so? Even though during the communist rule Kosova gained some rights, it was economically underdeveloped as there were no investments coming in! The mines of Trepca worked in 2 shifts and they got large quantities of gold etc but again, very little went back into Kosova. There was a say “Trepca is working-Belgrade been built”

Finally, it is better to be poor then oppressed.
    And to add, Ireland was poor up to the 90. I was here and I know. I travelled a lot throughout Europe and can make comparisoms. We still lack the infrastructure of most EU countries.

I am not trying to stigmatize anyone, first of all, the declaration of Kosovo is not valid by all means. Two parties that signed Kumanovo agreement were Serbia (or Yugoslavia then) and NATO. Kosovo did not sign anything in any capacity in regards to that. Saying that Kosovo is unique is fine, but first justify that in a legal way. Only twenty odd countries recognised Kosovo, and UN had 192 members. Russia will always veto any Kosovo attempt to become a member, thus all access to various institutions will be blocked for Kosovo. I cant see any investement going Kosovo direction, since it is very unstable in the long term. The day Nato leaves, the very day Kosovo is no more.

In regards to Ireland being poor; it was poor in a relative sense. Ireland has always been a part of the western world, and was poor in comparison to these countries. Albania, Kosovo fall under different categoty, it is very silly to draw comparison in that regard.

There was a communist rule in many countries; however many of them made real progress.

In relation to statistics: Albanian GDP? Unemployment Rate? Literacy Rate?

I wouldn't agree with you about respect Germans or Swiss have for Albanians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 King.Genti

I am not trying to stigmatize anyone, first of all, the declaration of Kosovo is not valid by all means. Two parties that signed Kumanovo agreement were Serbia (or Yugoslavia then) and NATO.

I dunno, why are you raving and ranting over this anymore. The story is over.
    Repulic of Kosova is recognized by majority of the European states.
    Spain, Slovakia, Romania will recognize as well. Those three nations did not commit genocide to keep their territory, thus Republic of Kosova is unique.

It was between Yugoslavia and NATO. Read it.

Serbia did not exist as a country or a state. The world recognized Kosovo only as a Yugoslavian territory.

Resolution 1244, mentions briefly the territory and its people in Yugoslavia.

Read it..Serbia is not mentioned anywhere. Preamble is not an agreement. Since you want to abide by laws, perhaps, you could take a lesson from me or try online to learn the values of laws on agreements, treaties, accords, however you want to name it.

A 1st grade kid is trying to educate the master how the law of agreement works.
    There is no statement that indicates, Kosovo,now Republic of Kosova, is a territory of Serbia. Republic of Kosova had the right for self-determination ( a UN charter guarantees that to every one).
    Anyways,
    Serbs do not believe Albanians are humans. This is the bottom line.

World's industrial nations have recognized Republic of Kosova as a sovereign state. My neighbors, Slovenia has started, and Bulgaria was arguing today why they're waiting so long, losing their strategic important and influence by waiting as the last one. Russians were worried in the beginning. Gained their popularity, but they weren't really interested to confront the West. America is besieging them with missiles.

What can i say. Whether legally or historically, Republic of Kosova was never part of Serbia I guess, .Serbia has missed its chances to colonize African countries in the 17 century, instead decided to colonize, Kosovo, now Republic of Kosova
    Ireland's letter to the President of Republic of Kosova says "We recognize Republic of Kosova"..

Serbia will recognize us as well. It won't be very long when Serbia and Republic of Kosova will establish diplomatic ties as two independent and sovereign nations.

Ireland had its struggles to gain the Independence. Those familiar with the history, will understand where I am coming from.

Peace be with you

King.Genti wrote: »
    Repulic of Kosova is recognized by majority of the European states.
    That is presently not correct.
    Spain, Slovakia, Romania will recognize as well.
    Speculative and in some cases dubious.
    Serbia did not exist as a country or a state. The world recognized Kosovo only as a Yugoslavian territory.
    Actually the World recognizes Serbia as the successor to Yugoslavia, just as Russia was recognized as the USSR's successor. All international treaties and agreements, all embassies and foreign assets and liabilities are recognized as inherited by Serbia. Your point is invalid.
    A 1st grade kid is trying to educate the master how the law of agreement works.
    You on the other hand have not, it would appear.
    Serbs do not believe Albanians are humans. This is the bottom line.
    Then that is a human rights issue as opposed to one of statehood.
    World's industrial nations have recognized Republic of Kosova as a sovereign state.
    Again, incorrect. Of the G8 to date, for example, only five have done so.
    Serbia will recognize us as well. It won't be very long when Serbia and Republic of Kosova will establish diplomatic ties as two independent and sovereign nations.
    Possibly in time this can happen, but I do think you are painting too rosy a picture of the future. By any description of international law the declaration of independence was not legal - having said that, Realpolitik being what it is, that may not stop Kosovo being recognized legally in the long term, as the Iraq war was.

The next issue is that of viability, and presently Kosovo is simply not. Most projections I've read on the economy are actually pretty grim, painting a picture of a state completely dependent on foreign aid - now and in the long term. This is before you consider the question of the Serbian minority and what could happen if they feel overly oppressed.

Of course it could all work out in the long term, but the initial portents are not encouraging.
    Ireland had its struggles to gain the Independence. Those familiar with the history, will understand where I am coming from.
    Given you earlier (in the same post) said that "[Spain, Slovakia, Romania] did not commit genocide to keep their territory, thus Republic of Kosova is unique", I find your contradiction amusing.

I don't support this hasty recognition of a 'state' of one and a half million land-locked people whose badge of identity is their religion.
    Is it?
    ...Ireland has always been a part of the western world...
    :rolleyes:
    There was a communist rule in many countries; however many of them made real progress...
    ...after the fall of communism.
    In relation to statistics: Albanian GDP? Unemployment Rate? Literacy Rate?
    GDP per capita is $6,649; similar to Egypt. GDP is currently growing at 5% per annum (above EU average of 3.1%).

Unemployment is still very high at 30%.

Literacy rate is very high - 98.7%; higher than Italy, Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania, Israel and Greece.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭riadach

Vague! They actually voted against the ability for the EU to expand without further consultation with the people. The tolerant dutch voted against it having just had an openly homosexual politician murdered by islamofascists (muslims who can't/won't conform to established rules of the societies they have adopted as home) and they feared the further infiltration of Europe by less tolerant types from the east. Are you stating categorically here that the majority of EU citizens are in favour of further expansion to include the likes of Albania? Don't make me laugh.

So Volkert van der Graaf was a muslim now, was he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 King.Genti

That is presently not correct.

Speculative and in some cases dubious.

Actually the World recognizes Serbia as the successor to Yugoslavia, just as Russia was recognized as the USSR's successor. All international treaties and agreements, all embassies and foreign assets and liabilities are recognized as inherited by Serbia. Your point is invalid.

You on the other hand have not, it would appear.

Then that is a human rights issue as opposed to one of statehood.

Again, incorrect. Of the G8 to date, for example, only five have done so.

Possibly in time this can happen, but I do think you are painting too rosy a picture of the future. By any description of international law the declaration of independence was not legal - having said that, Realpolitik being what it is, that may not stop Kosovo being recognized legally in the long term, as the Iraq war was.

The next issue is that of viability, and presently Kosovo is simply not. Most projections I've read on the economy are actually pretty grim, painting a picture of a state completely dependent on foreign aid - now and in the long term. This is before you consider the question of the Serbian minority and what could happen if they feel overly oppressed.

Of course it could all work out in the long term, but the initial portents are not encouraging.

Given you earlier (in the same post) said that "[Spain, Slovakia, Romania] did not commit genocide to keep their territory, thus Republic of Kosova is unique", I find your contradiction amusing.

My point is made before. The Declaration of Independence is legal as much as was the declaration of Independence of Ireland or the United States.

Again, Serbia might be a successor of Yugoslavia, so is Republic of Kosova. But, in resolution 1244 does not say a such thing.
    In 1999, Serbia gave up its sovereignty over, now Republic of Kosova.
    Resolution 1244 does not say that Republic of Kosova is an integral part of Serbia. It does not say that Serbia is the successor of Yugoslavia neither.
    Serbs, Russians, Americans, Albanians agreed.

You don't seem to understand that Serbia had two options at the time.
    A full scale invasion of 200,000 troops or accept the terms presented by NATO.
    Too bad it didn't happen. Today, it'd be only Republic of Shumadia or Republic of Begradski Pashalluk.

Republic of Kosova is the newest state of Europe. The newest democracy in the world.

Everyone is happy

I don't think you read the right as far as I am concerned.

Slovakia will recognize it in within 4 months. Mark my words
    Romania will do as well. Romania will lose more than gain. They got the Russians at the front yard, will be asking Uncle Sam for help. Don't worry about it.

Spain, they will wait until their general elections in march. they don't to spark a political havoc. Communist party of Spain runs the country.
    Spain will recognize us. Madrid 's office in Prishtine has sent a letter to the President of Republic of Kosova.

Unfortunately, Serbia is not a democratic country. It does control media, it threatens press, it murders journalists, murders any democratic value.

If you keep your last hopes in Romania,Spain and Slovakia, you better start preparing yourself psycho-socially before you start burning down their embassies as well when they will do the recognition.

It's healthier for you to concede before the TRUTH and REALITY.

Serbia will recognize Republic of Kosova as well, it's gonna be your last news you will hear.

Have a good day!:)

• Advertisement

King.Genti wrote: »
    My point is made. Declaration of Independence is legals as much as was the declaration of Independence of Ireland or the United States.
    You're confusing de facto with de jure.
    Again, Serbia might be a successor of Yugoslavia, so is Republic of Kosova. But, in resolution 1244 does not say a such thing.
    It does not have to. The nuclear proliferation treaties of the latter cold war era specifically referred to the Soviet Union. Are you suggesting that they are no longer binding because the Russian Federation didn't sign?
    In 1999, Serbia gave up its sovereignty over, now Republic of Kosova.

Resolution 1244 does not say that Republic of Kosova is an integral part of Serbia. It does not say that Serbia is the successor of Yugoslavia neither.
    Serbs, Russians, Americans, Albanians agreed.
    I don't think you understand how international treaties work. Resolution 1244 does not need to reference Serbia because another agreement recognized her as Yugoslavia's successor. It does not need to recognize sovereignty over Kosovo either as this is covered by a pre-existing treaty.
    It's healthier for you to concede before the TRUTH and REALITY.
    TBH, you are actually spouting a lot of misinformed propaganda and speculation, rather than truth or reality. You will note that I corrected you on a number of factual errors in your previous post - as a result your follow up contained no attempts and stating facts and was concerned simply with your opinion.

I don't deny that Kosovo may have a legitimate argument for statehood, or that it may achieve this regardless of the legality of the declaration of independence. But neither am I going to kid myself into believing that it is not as clear cut as the jingoistic picture you're painting of the future.

A Serbian minority has rejected the secession and could turn to violence. The economy is a basket case and chronically dependent on international aid and remittances from migrants abroad. Politically the state is not even universally recognized, despite your optimism for the future - the World is full of unrecognized de facto independent states. Political questions remain regarding ownership of industry, supply of electricity or even if Kosovo wants to remain separate or seek to become part of a 'greater Albania', as some has suggested.

Kosovo could succeed, but it won't be easy and it's by no means certain.

Advertisement