Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV customers - get in here!

Options
  • 29-02-2008 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Fellow UTV'ers, any of you experiencing your connection speed having been cut in half over the last few days? My router's gone from connecting at 2mbit for the last 3 years down to 1mbit for the last few days. No amount of restarting it etc changes this. Line quality stats on the router haven't changed.

Upstream speed has also dropped from 256kb to 128kb.

Another person in the (dead) utv.support newsgroup is reporting the same issue. I've been on hold trying to get through to UTV support on the phone for the last 15 minutes :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Just off the phone. Tech support guy wants to blame it on eircom's upgrade works, even though bitstream upgrades aren't due till July or so? Got him to log a fault anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Stephen wrote: »
    Just off the phone. Tech support guy wants to blame it on eircom's upgrade works, even though bitstream upgrades aren't due till July or so? Got him to log a fault anyway.

lol you ring your ISP for tehcnical support help with your broadband sppeds, he tells you the reason and you get him to log a fault?
    Where the logic in that............oh wait you know best! I think your forgetting here Eircom own the line and resell the product to other ISP's like utv. I bet, actually know they dont find a fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

They are beginning the upgrade in March for business customers.

Stephen, do you know what exchange you are currently on?

Barlow07 wrote: »
    lol you ring your ISP for tehcnical support help with your broadband sppeds, he tells you the reason and you get him to log a fault?
    Where the logic in that............oh wait you know best! I think your forgetting here Eircom own the line and resell the product to other ISP's like utv. I bet, actually know they dont find a fault.

ZOMGWTFBBQLOL!!!?
    I know eircom own the bloody line. The guy had no information on whether work was going on or not, just said that they're upgrading speeds in the summer!
    He offered to log the fault, not me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Just off the phone. Tech support guy wants to blame it on eircom's upgrade works, even though bitstream upgrades aren't due till July or so?
    I think the fact he works for Utv he would probably know more then you ;)
    Got him to log a fault anyway.
    So he may have logged the fault, but not without pressure from you.

Did they say when you will hear about the fault?

for **** sake

believe what you want.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It used to be reflex in UTV to blame Eircom - even if it rained it was eircom's fault. I once rang them with a billing complaint (yes billing - you couldn't invent it!) and they blamed Eircom!

Then for ages they blamed their 'upstream provider' who they were quite happy to let everyone think was Eircom but of course wasn't!

Try emailing carl@u.tv - was always the best way to get anything done.

for **** sake

believe what you want.

I was just pointing out the facts, dont get your n1ckers in a twist :)

I was just pointing out the facts, dont get your n1ckers in a twist :)

Where exactly are the facts you pointed out? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    Where exactly are the facts you pointed out? :rolleyes:

I'm not getting in an arguemnt with the OP or you Dub45 so i wont them out. I just read post and thought here was someone telling someone else how do there job.

Forget about it. I hope BT, i mean Utv fix his slow speed issue ;)

I'm not getting in an arguemnt with the OP or you Dub45 so i wont them out. I just read post and thought here was someone telling someone else how do there job.

Forget about it. I hope BT, i mean Utv fix his slow speed issue ;)

For what its worth that's an opinion not a fact!

dub45 wrote: »
    For what its worth that's an opinion not a fact!

Yes, my opnion .

Yes, my opnion .

Indeed!
    Originally Posted by Barlow07
    I was just pointing out the facts, dont get your n1ckers in a twist

And your whole point in all this ?

Still agree i was right and yes it was my opnion from reading the OP post, he basically told him/her the problem, cause and didnt expect it was eircom issue.

Eircom resell the service to BT who resell the service to UTv, you only have to read Utv T&C to see that, also they dont guarantee the service will be fault free due to maintenance and upgrades :-) which the OP was told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭omalleyTown

LOL

This is the funniest thread ive seen all day

LOL

This is the funniest thread ive seen all day

I thought you had some two sense to throw.

I really do hope OP get his speeds resolved. If the synch has droped from 256/128 then something looks to be serious wrong.

I'm logging out for a while now as i dont want to get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Same here.

On the 3Mbit package, but only connected at 2048/256 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I was suppposed to be upgraded to 3mb today but its still showing as 2mb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Skyuser wrote: »
    I was suppposed to be upgraded to 3mb today but its still showing as 2mb

Me too... I was also supposed to jump from 2mb to 3mb today but I just ran a speed test and it said that I am on 927 kb/s download and 91 kb/s upload!!

What is that about??? :confused:

• Advertisement

Sounds like you're down to 1Mb/128kb too. Something's clearly not right in UTV.

UTV told me that Eircom upgraded it at 12:45pm today but since then it's still at 2mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Are people still only getting 2MB connection on 3MBit lines?

Have UTV said much about it on the support newsgroup, I can't access it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

If any regrade work takes place re-booting the router will pick up the new speed (if any) on reconnection.
    From what your saying the line has been downgraded and possibly UTV either aren't saying or don't know. You can ask them to confirm with eircom wholesale but I doubt they will for you and most likely will say they can't.
    As a previous tech support and billing spervisor I would suggest you definately log a call to tech and get a line check done and confirm the speed. If the speed is not the agreed speed you contracted to then complain and ask for a billing amendment while the problem exists. Get reference numbers for calls allways! assuming they log all calls of course.

They said today my 3mb was not put through in exchange even though they told me on Saturday it was. Now it will take another few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

My speed is up from 2Mb to 3Mb as of this morning.

Was originally planned for last Saturday - but at least it works fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

No improvement here. I'm meant to have a 2Mb connection but it's been running at 1Mb for the last few days.

I'm back up to 2Mb as of yesterday too. So are the people on the utv.support newsgroup that reported similar problems.

I'm at 3Mb now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Does anyone on here no if original 3mb will be upgraded? If so to what and when? Was looking at taking the 3mb deal with u.tv would it be better in short term to go with '2mb' as it is still shown on there site (along with 1 and 3mb)

Ok, found answer-ish...3mb going to 7.6...looks like June/July

Advertisement