Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV customers - get in here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I'm on the 3MB package, but I'm still only connecting at 2MB for the past week or so (after power cycling the router)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 littleCave

Skyuser wrote: »
    I was suppposed to be upgraded to 3mb today but its still showing as 2mb

I have had a connection with UTV since November 2007.

I should be seeing 2MB but am consistently getting only up to 8 or 9 hundred KB.

The issue is being dragged out I feel at this point, and faults are being continuously logged with Eircom, whom pass the line each time for 2MB.

I have been charged all along for 2MB.

I have tried 3 different routers, different filters, and all the technical suggestions from the support group and more, to no avail and at expense to myself.

I will give them another little while perhaps.

I wonder now about the options for moving provider. I would be happy to pay more for something that worked, but I am not too eager to lose connectivity.

I am considering taking a cable or wireless subscription before disconnecting the line, or can they move the service without loss of connectivity (phone and data) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

At this point if you are out of contract then do whatever is best for you.
    Unless you want to call them again and ask for a supervisor and demand the issue is escalated. Sounds like your best option is to go else where!!

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

littleCave wrote: »
    I have had a connection with UTV since November 2007.

I should be seeing 2MB but am consistently getting only up to 8 or 9 hundred KB.

The issue is being dragged out I feel at this point, and faults are being continuously logged with Eircom, whom pass the line each time for 2MB.

I have been charged all along for 2MB.

I have tried 3 different routers, different filters, and all the technical suggestions from the support group and more, to no avail and at expense to myself.

I will give them another little while perhaps.

I wonder now about the options for moving provider. I would be happy to pay more for something that worked, but I am not too eager to lose connectivity.

I am considering taking a cable or wireless subscription before disconnecting the line, or can they move the service without loss of connectivity (phone and data) ?

What does your router / modem say you're connecting at? What speed do you get from speedtest.net (with nothing else downloading or uploading?)

I'm still having the same problem that many people were having in this thread, I rang them Monday they said the problem is at their end and they'd sort it. Still waiting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Right, im seriously pi$$ed, i only got my phone connected in new place in Mullingar in February( after 6 months waiting for Eircon who after ailing to connect in 3 months, said the didnt know when they could connect me due to developer issues, so i complained that they were in violation of ComRegs minimum contract agreement and i was connected 2 weeks later, lmao ), using utv as ISP( was fine in athlone although never got 3Mb i was paying for, was 2400kb ). Im currently supposed to be on 3Mb connection

Anyways i get decent download speeds but absolutely horrible horrible upload speeds, it destroys my online gaming, im getting 64kb( 8kilobyte per second ) upload and like 2800kb download

this is what i see regularly:
    DSL Parameters and Status
    Vendor ID: 00B5GSPN
    Revision Number: Y1921a
    Serial Number: 123456789abcdx
    Local Tx Power: 12.13 dB
    Remote Tx Power: 19.55 dB
    Local Line Atten.: 29.5 dB
    Remote Line Atten.: 26.0 dB
    Local SNR Margin: 6.0 dB
    Remote SNR Margin: 7.0 dB
    Self Test: Passed
    DSL Standard: G.dmt
    Trellis Coding: Enable
    Framing Structure: Framing-3

Config Data Up Down
    Intrlvd Fast Intrlvd Fast
    AS0(kbps): - - 2336 0
    AS1(kbps): - - 0 0
    LS0(kbps): 64 0 - -
    LS1(kbps): 0 0 - -
    RValue: 8 0 12 0
    SValue: 8 1
    DValue: 1 8

looks fine EXCEPT for SNR Margin which looks terrible and just above disconnection issues

64kb upload is a joke, everything hangs, Battlefield 2 disconnects from server regularly, waste of time doing any torrents, opening web pages with lots of images hangs all net access( its not TCP IP setup ), tried using ADSL test socket( removing telephony connection plate that eircon installed ) and the same crap speeds. The rare time i do get 3Mb download and 384 download its absolutely wonderful in everything

From the above Attenuation you can see im around 2K from the exchange and i should be getting great speeds. Since mid february ive had utv logging calls with Eircon and they come back saying theyve reset the line and it looks fine or similar crap, i even said "Send the Eircom engineer out, i dont care anymore, he can prove to me that i can get regular upload speeds and pay the 150euro or whatever, then i got a missed call and voicemail when i was on vacation saying that its sorted and im back to square 1 ). I have a long line( 5 metres to socket ) BUT i also checked 1 metre cable with laptop and the same result, tried 2 modems and with/without filter.

I get ADSL synchronisation of 3Mb download and 384k upload 1% of the time, 99% of the time its 64k upload

On top of that it takes 10 minutes to actually get an internet connection on modem switch on/reset, always with ADSL sync failing due to "MAJOR ALARM : Failed To Get IP Address : Interface - ppp-0" errors

Im f**king raging at this, any help/info would seriously be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭pushpop

This thread is quite confusing, people seem to be using MB and MBit and mb interchangeably - they are very different things. I'm on the 2 megabit quicksilver package although in reality I usually max out at 223 kb/s which equates to about 1.77 megabits. This is a problem in england too, although I dont know whether it's due to ISP's conning us or some sort of networking overhead caused by multiple simultaneous TCP connections

pushpop wrote: »
    This thread is quite confusing, people seem to be using MB and MBit and mb interchangeably - they are very different things. I'm on the 2 megabit quicksilver package although in reality I usually max out at 223 kb/s which equates to about 1.77 megabits. This is a problem in england too, although I dont know whether it's due to ISP's conning us or some sort of networking overhead caused by multiple simultaneous TCP connections
    internet speed/ethernet is ALWAYS measured in bits not bytes, unless explicitly specified its bits, divide by 8, job done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Right, Ive posted on all the other UTV threads and just spotted this one.

I moved house in February and I'm still on a 2 Mbit line when I should be on a 3 Mbit line. I think there is something going on with UTV as I don't know how it could take so long to sort it out.

Even with the 2 Mbit line, Its very slow most of the time.

I presume UTV check these posts regularly, but don't know why they won't respond truthfully to people as its obvious from here that somethings gone belly up with UTV.

Maybe thats why they changed their tariffs, to tie down all their existing customers with new contracts as they knew something bad was happening.

Just got off the phone to UTV. The person I was speaking to for the last 4 weeks has told me that she has nothing to do with it!!!!!!!!!

So, I rang tech support. He said the fault I reported on March 11th was cleared! Even though I'm still only on a 2 Mbit line! So he's going to log a second (supposedly) fault and check into it!

I'm waiting for Mike Murphy to pop his head up and camera men to come out of the walls and say the whole thing was a joke!

lol, well my latest update is:
    i basically put the f**ks on the UTV tech support guy, i told him ive now logged 3 calls in which ive asked for a technician to be sent out and to prove to me that there is no problem
    I told them i couldnt give a crap about paying 150euro for a tech to be sent out if im proved wrong, im gonna end up paying that anyway in broadband charges when i dont have a functioning broadband, 5 hours i waited on monday for a connection
    Anyways he said eircom wont send out a tech and only in extreme circumstances( since then ive checked ComReg's site and it says that UTV themselves can send out their own technician )

I brought up the fact that as well as terrible upload synchs i keep getting "Failed to get IP address" when authenticating, the invokes another ADSL resynch, and it can continue for hours. He said this may actually be the problem with the crap upload, im not convinced though. If its not sorted on Friday, im cancelling broadband with UTV, getting Eircoms crap rip off service and moaning to them until its fixed.
    If thats not fixed within 4-5 weeks, im cancelling the whole thing

Broadband in this country is an absolute disgrace. I wouldnt mind im 2km from the switch in Mullingar and was 18km in Athlone and never had a problem there

• Advertisement

2 months and 1 week on, I'm still only on a 2mbit line!

Yesterday UTV wanted me to email them screenshots of my modem to prove my connection speed! They say Eircom are asking for it and he's excalated the fault!

I got onto comreg back in late march, so if needs be, I'l call them again and they are obliged to sort it out.

Agree that broadband is a disgrace in this country. Especially when Ireland is being set as a technical hub for tech companies.

P.S. To pi$$ everyone off here, Japan got there satelitte up and will be providing 155mbit line to all homes and a 1.2GBit line for business. Heard the Americans moaning coz they have to pay 95 Euro for a measly 50mbit line. I'd kill for that problem.

nacimroc wrote: »
    2 months and 1 week on, I'm still only on a 2mbit line!

Yesterday UTV wanted me to email them screenshots of my modem to prove my connection speed! They say Eircom are asking for it and he's excalated the fault!

I got onto comreg back in late march, so if needs be, I'l call them again and they are obliged to sort it out.

Agree that broadband is a disgrace in this country. Especially when Ireland is being set as a technical hub for tech companies.

P.S. To pi$$ everyone off here, Japan got there satelitte up and will be providing 155mbit line to all homes and a 1.2GBit line for business. Heard the Americans moaning coz they have to pay 95 Euro for a measly 50mbit line. I'd kill for that problem.
    Best of luck with that problem, i spent a year with the same crap, screenshots and what not, waste of time, i paid for 3Mb or a year and only ever got 2, at least i got 20Gb limit though. Lol, think of it like this, i have 3Mb download and 64kbps upload, id prefer your setup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 halcyon-days

I'm on the 3MB connection with U.TV and so far the download speed has been above 2.5MB most of the time i've tested it on various websites like bbmax and speedtest.net but the upload speed test shows that its stuck basically and barely goes over 20kb's... When browsing the web it has to think about opening the page for roughly 10 seconds and slowly starts opening it eventually after 30 seconds of waiting the page is open. Can't have audio/video conference calls anymore on skype/msn etc.
    I've only had the service with UTV for slightly over a month and this upload issue has only started roughly 1 week ago. I've spoken with U.TV and they've blamed my router configuration and are sending me out a new router free of charge...
    I know my router is working fine as i've used it previously at a different location without any problems. My computers are configured fine.

I've decided to cancel the service. The only sad thing is that i will have to pay for the cancellation fee as (I have broken the contract) even though to my opinion they have broken their contract to me by providing a quality service.

I recently moved from N.Ireland to Donegal and after getting over the shock of having speeds of 3MB again (can't seem to find any other ISP that can offer 8MB in donegal) i'm finding this all a complete joke.. the state of broadband in the republic is nothing short of pathetic.
    Talktalk are offering a BB package for 22 euro/month so I'm tempted to consider them and they don't have any monthly download caps.

As far U.TV they have lost my respect and my money, their a complete waste of time and i'd stay far away.

Can anyone tell me what the fastest broadband package available in Donegal is? I've searched these boards and found nothing but complaints at most ISP's so I'm confused and frustrated at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

oops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 halcyon-days

Mylow wrote: »
    Does anyone on here no if original 3mb will be upgraded? If so to what and when? Was looking at taking the 3mb deal with u.tv would it be better in short term to go with '2mb' as it is still shown on there site (along with 1 and 3mb)

Ok, found answer-ish...3mb going to 7.6...looks like June/July

Is U.TV increasing it's speed from 3MB to 8MB in June/July? If so how did you hear about this and has UTV confirmed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

if upload changed then something has changed in the last week, either a fault at the exchange or line, mostly Eircom's issue, or at the equipment at your end; something that wasn't working has stopped working. Testing a different router doesn't seem wholly unreasonable to me, in the context of some of things that go on here.

As all you are getting is the Eircom service resold, all of the providers will be giving the same speeds, the 3Mb services will (probably?) be upgraded to 7.6Mb over the summer, if your line can handle it. I'd change to Eircom in the first instance, cutting out the middleman, make sure that everything is working and then change over to another better value package in a few months when things are stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭patrickc

i had a fault with utv a few weeks ago, it came back a few hours later, anyhow at the time i rang utv and they logged the fault with eircom, 2 days later eircom rang to ask was it still down, that was speedy service IMO

im going to move from UTV to BT to see if i can get my upload rate sorted. UTV were very helpful when i got the right guy, but Eircon keep rejecting any tickets and ive been told by utv theres absolutely nothing they can do. I f***ing hate Eircon

lmimmfn wrote: »
    UTV were very helpful when i got the right guy, but Eircon keep rejecting any tickets and ive been told by utv theres absolutely nothing they can do. I f***ing hate Eircon

I'm still in the same boat! Feb 11th until now they still cannot speed up my line! I did get onto comreg back in March so I might call them back and leave it to them as of Tuesday!

I'm still in the same boat! Feb 11th until now they still cannot speed up my line! I did get onto comreg back in March so I might call them back and leave it to them as of Tuesday!
    Yep,ive had the problem since early February too, please PM me if you get anywhere with comreg as im changing provider tomorrow and if that doesnt work ill be getting onto comreg

• Advertisement

Quick update! I'm still only on a 2 mbit line despite hagling with them since February! They are a joke!

I would advise any potential customers to look FAR FAR AWAY from these goons!

I did get back onto comreg about 3 weeks ago, but nothing seems to have been done. They did refund me difference for 1 month, but that was it!

For last 2 nights I can't get anything faster than a 1 Mbit line! I was thinking they were throttling me and are trying to force me elsewhere, but I'm not going anywhere! Hard to believe they would throttle a 2 Mbit line though!

Unbelievably crap service!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Quick update! I'm still only on a 2 mbit line despite hagling with them since February! They are a joke!

I would advise any potential customers to look FAR FAR AWAY from these goons!

I did get back onto comreg about 3 weeks ago, but nothing seems to have been done. They did refund me difference for 1 month, but that was it!

For last 2 nights I can't get anything faster than a 1 Mbit line! I was thinking they were throttling me and are trying to force me elsewhere, but I'm not going anywhere! Hard to believe they would throttle a 2 Mbit line though!

Unbelievably crap service!

Have they confirmed that your line is capable of 3Mb what are your line stats?

dub45 wrote: »
    Have they confirmed that your line is capable of 3Mb what are your line stats?

My line is technically cabable of 5mbit! Their system is showing me on a 3mbit and are (as usual) blaming eircom for the problem.

They said they have put through plenty of fault reports to eircom and have escalated them. They wanted screen shots of my modem status, speed test results etc to prove it! I have done all the tests, filters, firmwares etc! Nobody is doubting the problem, but they just won't fix it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

My line is technically cabable of 5mbit! Their system is showing me on a 3mbit and are (as usual) blaming eircom for the problem.

They said they have put through plenty of fault reports to eircom and have escalated them. They wanted screen shots of my modem status, speed test results etc to prove it! I have done all the tests, filters, firmwares etc! Nobody is doubting the problem, but they just won't fix it!

And as a matter of interest what line stats are you getting? What speed to you sync at?

dub45 wrote: »
    And as a matter of interest what line stats are you getting? What speed to you sync at?

This is from my modem (not sure if this is what your asking for)
    Overall Status
    ADSL Line Status:

SHOWTIME

Downstream Data Rate:
    2016kbps
    Upstream Data Rate:
    384kbps
    PPP Connection Status:
    Connected Protocol & Encapsulation Mode: PPPoE LLC VPI/VCI: 8/35

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tried to get 2 meg here, and have been told that the line was upgraded to 2 meg but was still only getting 1 meg. cue 4-5 months of me ringing utv and being told to ring the technical support then getting on to technical support and being told to ring accounts. Back and forth, back and forth.

just gave up in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

UTV re-sell from BT in the North, and Eircom in the Republic. I used to be with them myself until January 2006. Always found them helpful, when you eventually manage to get through to an agent on the phone!

I've just moved house, and I'm getting sick of using IBB Ripwave Plus (I'm only 2 months into a 6 month contract). I've been using BT Ireland for the last 2 years, and had to cut them off recently due to me being too poor to afford it. Things have picked up a little, and also, in respect of me being absolutely at my wit's end with this pathetic "Broadband In A Box" service (I'm not paying IBB anything more and I will be cancelling on their asses 1/3 of the way through my contract), I ordered 3Mb with UTV again. Their prices are what attracted me, as I can't really afford to be paying out of my ass for something I can get this cheap.

I'll be connected within the next week or two, and as soon as I am, I'll post back here to let you all know if the service is to my satisfaction or not. BT have done OK by me for the last 2 years, and since I'm on the same exchange (just moved to a different spot in town), if there's a problem, then I'm sure it's UTV's fault.

I read this entire thread, and it's sick how these companies can do business like cowboys from the old west, and get away with it in this age. It's not on.

Also, whilst reading through this thread, I noticed somebody had nitpicked on the whole bits/bytes thing. Here's the real deal:

Kb/Mb/Gb = kilobits/megabits/gigabits
    KB/MB/GB = kilobytes/megabytes/gigabytes
    kb/mb/gb = confusion (incorrect)

You'll be needing this 1890 22 9668 (Comreg)

They told me i'd be re-connected in a 7 days aswell! took 30!

In all fairness I was with them for 2 years and had no problems until 4 months ago (still ongoing), but from what i have learned if anything goes wrong its a nightmare!

I hope all goes well for you and when they are good its a great service, but I have learned my lessson!

P.S. Would it kill them to pay 10 quid an hour to have 1 more cust service rep on so it wouldnt cost me a fortune to be on hold for hours with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

You'll be needing this 1890 22 9668 (Comreg)

They told me i'd be re-connected in a 7 days aswell! took 30!

In all fairness I was with them for 2 years and had no problems until 4 months ago (still ongoing), but from what i have learned if anything goes wrong its a nightmare!

I hope all goes well for you and when they are good its a great service, but I have learned my lessson!

P.S. Would it kill them to pay 10 quid an hour to have 1 more cust service rep on so it wouldnt cost me a fortune to be on hold for hours with them!
    Same happened to me when I was signing up to BT in 2006. They were taking forever to get my line switched on. Clearly it was Eircom's fault, as they were backlogged (so they claim). UTV have nothing to gain by keeping us waiting. We won't be paying until our lines are switched on, so why fob us off? My guess is that they'd want every customer signing up to them to have their line switched on ASAP so as to begin the billing cycle, and thus make more money!

• Advertisement

I thought that but when I moved house I found out from Eircom that UTV sat on my request for 2.5 weeks before sending it to Eircom! I double checked this with UTV and eventually found out they had just forgotten about it!

Advertisement