Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcastle Co Wickow- whats it like?

Options
  • 29-02-2008 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi

Myself and the husband were looking to buy in Kilcoole, then we had a look at Newcastle last weekend and it looked like a nice area too.

Does anybody have any info in regard to what it's like to live in?
    Is it friendly? A nice place to live?
    Safe? convenient to south dublin for work?

All pro's and cons of living there welcome!

Thanks!!
    Pixied :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Its ok few friends live there very boring thow only a pub & garage can get the 84 bus to town its pretty quite tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GaelGirl

The benefits of Newcastle are really very age dependent. Its a fairly quiet place, very little social outlets although a new restaurant, the Ol Candle opened recently. Many of the estates are of questionable quality, although I don't live in them so I'm only basing that opinion on hearsay. Public Transport is less than amazing, and although it does have an 84 and 84x service, it is a limited one! I'd give my vote to Kilcoole before Newcastle.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my cousin's husband is from there and she lived in newcastle for a number of years and really liked it but there is nothing really around the area. You also have the Hospital there which is renouned for esaping patients :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

irishbird wrote: »
    You also have the Hospital there which is renouned for esaping patients :eek:

In fairness though the Hospital is in Newtown rather than Newcastle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

annieee wrote: »
    In fairness though the Hospital is in Newtown rather than Newcastle.

Yes and there not mass murderers its a St John of Gods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

Yes and there not mass murderers its a St John of Gods.

Yes, and the Hospital grounds are beautiful - one of the nicest places in Newtown, I often bring my Toddler to run around up there, loads of space and any of the 'inmates' I've met have been very friendly (and not one of them wore a hockey mask or wielded a machete)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its a very quiet spot. the beach and surrounding wetlands are nice for a walk, theres a playground and a primary school if you have kids. Public transport is very sparse but access to the N11 is easy.

However, its only 10 minutes drive from Greystones where theres loads of good restaurants, sports clubs, the Dart etc

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sasmac

Newcastle is a very quite place to live but you do need a car as the bus is infrequent. The primary school is church of Ireland and they only take a few kids every year so it is very hard to get into. There is a very nice playschool there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Thanks everyone!

It did seem very quiet there! And there are a lot of the houses in the 1 million bracket there! lol maybe if I win the lotto!!

Is there any other nice villages like that next to the coast and within commuting distance of Dublin?

Advertisement