Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sabatical elections

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I don't really get it... are you complaining about the lack of voting for people on placement etc or trying to encourage us to vote?

At least there's much more publicity this year then in previous years, I'm still not sure if I'll vote though, none of the material I've seen as mentioned any real issues, it all seems to be "I'm mad fun" kinda stuff.
    If someone wrote down some real plans I might take the whole thing seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭elementalwater

And the results are in!

For VP Academic and Student Affairs, Tracey Flinter from the Brugha!
    For VP Services and Trading, Dermot Julien from Bolton
    For President, Martin Dunne, Current VP ASA

I disagree that people can go from one position to another... only current students should be allowed to run and the current VP is on a sabbatical/graduated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭drogbaa

I know where ur coming from, but a sabbatical is defined as a current student, and it helps maintain continuity, and it's in the constitution, so if u don't like it then change the constitution, so there!:p

Any word on what the turnout was - was any of the positions close? Surprised at the guy from Bolton St getting it - he didn't seem to know his stuff during the hustings.

Since you know more then I on the topic, is there a limit to the amount of times one can hold a sabbatical position?
    I think it's a bit suspect that the sabbatical position is defined as a current student, I wonder is that common practice in most colleges... since they're not actually studying and they're getting paid... makes me wonder.

Continuity can be achieved by other means... it's often used as quite the excuse to keep people in power for little other reason then that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

Aloha,

Long time since I've been here but someone told me I should have a gander and so I have!

To answer your questions a sabbatical can serve a maximum of two years, either in the same position or switching both depending on the will of the electorate. I don't take it that a sabbatical being classed as a current student is suspect especially as a sabbatical represents the student populace and has to be a registered student to attend various conferences, etc (e.g. USI National Congress). It's common practice in pretty much every SU in the country.

You're right continuity can be achieved by other means and in DIT Students' Union it is. We have numerous full time staff who can serve three to five-year contracts allowing for a "corporate memory" to be built up. This is cracking as it enables new sabbaticals to hit the ground running and ensures that the wool isn't pulled over the union's eyes everytime a new team of sabbaticals rolls in (this is also achieved via cross-over training).

However full-time professional staff can't, and shouldn't, drive the policy of the union as they have no democratic mandate. Policy is driven by the electorate who provide a mandate to those who run for office (and also via Governing Council) - Re-Open Nominations exists to ensure that they have the ability to reject candidates if the policies put forth don't match up with the wants and needs of the electorate.

Thus for continuity of policy sabbaticals are allowed run for second terms, this allows long-term policy objectives to be achieved. It also gives people the chance to continue the work of people whom they feel have done an acceptable job.

There are checks and balances in place to prevent people seeking power for power's sake including but not limited to restricted terms, Governing Council oversight and of course the power of the people at the ballot box!

Anyhow this has gotten a hell of alot more indepth than I intended. Long and short of it is that if you're not happy then you can change the system through the democratic organs that exist in the union, tis your union after all!

Right I'm off.

That was quite the informative post. I still don't like the idea of someone graduating and then being able to act as a voice for the students for a further two years. It's all well and good saying the students can vote the person out, but I think it's pretty widely accepted that it's easier to maintain power when you've already got it.

Fair play on the union for getting people to vote though, fair bit of harassing going on in the Aungier St. foyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

I don't really get it... are you complaining about the lack of voting for people on placement etc or trying to encourage us to vote?

both actually...

Ah cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

And the results are in!

For VP Academic and Student Affairs, Tracey Flinter from the Brugha!
    For VP Services and Trading, Dermot Julien from Bolton
    For President, Martin Dunne, Current VP ASA

well done to the above who will be guiding the student of DIT into the next college year. Hopefully they will make sure DIT have a good year and some of the problems in the college get sorted out finally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭elementalwater

That was quite the informative post. I still don't like the idea of someone graduating and then being able to act as a voice for the students for a further two years. It's all well and good saying the students can vote the person out, but I think it's pretty widely accepted that it's easier to maintain power when you've already got it.

Fair play on the union for getting people to vote though, fair bit of harassing going on in the Aungier St. foyer.

You think two years is bad? There was a bloke over in the West who was a Sabbat for Five years!!!!!

You think two years is bad? There was a bloke over in the West who was a Sabbat for Five years!!!!!

That's so so very wrong

Advertisement