Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta F1 coverage

• 29-02-2008 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Only 2 weeks before the F1 season starts.

The Setanta crew are good, but sometimes it is almost impossible to hear what they are saying, especially Gary Anderson. I know he is working from the pits, but why bother if most of the time his reports are drowned out by engine noise. Even the commentary team have to compete with the noise.
    ITV seem to be able to have much better sound insulation, and it does make a difference to to the viewing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Yeah, but you have to listen to james allen being an execrable fool. I'd choose setanta any day over that idiot, especially seeing as Lewis "why don't you all love me?" Hamilton is doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Yes i have to agree, thank god for Setanta. I couldn't bare to listen to the "Hami" brigade on ITV. It makes me shout at the telly a lot and thats not good on a Sunday morning for the other (1) people in the house!
    Here we go into another unbiased ITV season of coverage. It is amazing just how wrong they got it at the end of the seson last year when the "great" Hami pis*ed himself and lost the lot.
    Now to be fair, I do think he is a great talent, give him some more time and he will be breaking records alright. But, to listen to some of the completely biased pro Hami coverage is sickening!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

If there was an Irish driver in F1 you'd hear the exact same, if not worse from the Irish commentators.
    I prefer ITV over Setanta, simply because i hate the sound of David Kennedy's voice!
    Declan Quigley and Gary Anderson do a great job though. Lose Kennedy and i'll be back!

I <3 David Kennedy......he is a rock of common sense.

It would be interesting to see the expectations we would have of an Irish driver now, we were modest in Irvines day....even if he wasn't ;)

I don't mind having to listen to all that Rule Britannia fawning if it has some basis in terms of merit.
    My problem with the ITV commentators is that they come out will stupid things and then run with them rather than think about it and acknowledge their mistakes. In a non cute Murrayesque way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

i prefer the setanta commentry, usually more technical will gary andersons input, plus very few ads (usually only one during the grand prix). They are a bit slow to pick up on stuff sometimes, but have more of a laugh than the itv guys and usually speak more sense. Do like the itv build up to the races and the grid walk is usually worth watching

cant wait for the first race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

God I hate UTV but it's all I have...Lap 1 complete - ads, back on lap 10, lap 12 complete, ads. It's a joke!

Bring back RTE 2 commentary!!!

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Reptileboy

One of the many problems I have with ITV's coverage is its absolute fear of real criticism. It also suffers from tunnel vision in regards to only focusing on particular aspects of the race. That's why I always watch races now with live timing from the official F1 site, that way I can follow every single driver and be able to follow the reality of the race and not just the hopeful optimism.

What I really like about Setanta's coverage is that is is comprehensive. They may not have the big budget of ITV, but they do show all of the practice sessions and qualifying. Which ITV used to do, but now they seem to be more concerned with squeezing in another Emmerdale of Coronation Street omnibus.

I think we should consider ourselves lucky that we have a choice of coverage. If you had to rely on ITV for your F1 fix, you'd be forgiven for giving up on the sport altogether. At least with the two, we don't have to worry about missing the action in between ad breaks, unless both stations do so at the same time, which is rare.

Setanta does great coverage with its limited resources. And frankly, at the moment ITV are merely cheerleaders for Hamilton. Who incidently I do like, but I don't need blanket coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

setanta always show the full interview with the top three drivers at the end of their show, alot of the time itv will usually run out of time with their schedule and cut it short

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 montoyastheman

I see Setanta are running the entire race without ads from lights out to flag fall this year! It's on Setanta Sports 1 without the ads and on Setanta Ireland with two ad breaks.

Advertisement