Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rank/Tagline part 2

Options
  • 29-02-2008 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

From here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055246247

I'm starting this again because you locked my other thread thus not giving me a chance to answer in any way
    DeVore wrote:
    Default vbulletin title for someone with between 500 and 1000 posts is 'Freak'

No one changed it on you, its what you defaulted back to because you had 900 posts.

DeV.

That's a lie and I know for three reasons DeV,

Number one: my tagline never changed to "Freak" automatically when I went over 500 posts, it's always been "Registered user" until I was banned and then it suddenly changed, if that's the case then how come looking at this thread for example does Jezza (758 posts) or Donegal Lass (649 posts) not have "Freak" under their name?

Number two: I own a vBulletins site DeV and there is no default "Freak" tagline, there are no default tags at all, you have to create them and none run on here and just to prove it here's my sites rank manger as it came with the software.

ranks.jpg

See, there's no default "Freak" tag on vBulletins at all.

Number three: I'd assume if that was true you wouldn't have needed to look into it since you are a Sys Admin so one would assume you'd at least know what the rank/taglines are and when they get applied? I find it strange you needed to look into it.

Simply admit it, someone changed it to be a cnut. There's more proof to support my explaination than yours and the fact that you locked the thread so quickly only adds to that proof IMO.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

A quick google brought up this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=285002

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd say Devore locked it as it was really something that should have been posted in HelpDesk.

I don't recall a time when the post rank tag line was in effect "Cool newbie" etc.

But it's possible there was a reminent of an old one on boards.ie

I'd imagine CuLT is doing a good bit of work on the VB software at the moment and it may have bene thrown up as a result.

If this isn't the case.. then it certainly is bang out of order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Kaz have a look at this thread.

Read any of these threads.

DeV is telling it like it is. You owe him an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Freak" was the default tag line for someone on boards with 500 - 900 posts before the upgrade to vBulletin 3.x. Here's an old thread talking about the tag lines as proof: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114209 (Edit: Tragedy and Hagar beat me to it).

The tag lines along with some other features stopped working with the upgrade to vBulletin 3.0, but that wasn't a deliberate thing, maybe a conflict with all the hacks that Boards has on vBulletin. I assume the user ranks are still in the database and your banning/unbanning triggered a software glitch to resurrect your user rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Sheesh... those post count ranks are so low...

What would you call someone with over 30,000 posts? Other than 'Victor' or 'Mike65' that is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Kazobel wrote: »
    That's a lie and I know for three reasons DeV,
    Simply admit it, someone changed it to be a cnut.
    Steady on and look at the posts made by Tragedy, Hagar and Stark. I remember reading that thread by Cloud with the old categories before and I must admit when I read your first thread today I completely forgot about them. I think you should have handled this by PM with Dev, you owe him an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

52037.JPG

Sorry, Kaz - its not all just about you and your choices =)

By default, our vb install calls people by those titles, unless overwritten which is now the norm.

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Simply admit it, someone changed it to be a cnut. There's more proof to support my explaination than yours and the fact that you locked the thread so quickly only adds to that proof IMO.

i1604465_cat1.bmp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Taking the advice of others from a few ongoing feedback threads, I'm reporting this lolcat for being an attempt to derail the thread. Oh, and also calling the OP retarded.

The guy is complaining about something ... he has been given a few good answers ... now give him a decent chance to reply and apologise if he sees fit before the lolcats are called in ffs ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

ohchristafeedbackthread.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

he gave the OP a whole 45 mins. more than enough time was allowed to pass IMO :)

miju wrote: »
    he gave the OP a whole 45 mins. more than enough time was allowed to pass IMO :)

Its friday evening man! Has the OP even logged on since he posted?

"A whole 45 minutes" ... wow!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

Hagar wrote: »
    Kaz have a look at this thread.

Read any of these threads.

DeV is telling it like it is. You owe him an apology.

None of those threads apply, am I suppose to believe that a thread that started in 2003 applies now? those ranks ended a long time ago but still I was the only one the "Freak" rank magicaly applied to? that's a cop out and as I said in my 3rd point if DeV is a Sys Admin why did he just not know that? why did he have to look into it? I know I know everything that happens on my site and would never need to go looking for answers to why a rank exists since I'd assume I should already know. I owe no one an apology, on one else was labled a freak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

t'was a joke buddy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Kaz life will get much easier when you realize that not everybody is out to get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I owe no one an apology, on one else was labled a freak.
    I was labeled a freak.
    I too have an alt. account...not to evade bans though. Thank goodness nobody infracted you for "being a spanner"...

Sherifu wrote: »
    Steady on and look at the posts made by Tragedy, Hagar and Stark. I remember reading that thread by Cloud with the old categories before and I must admit when I read your first thread today I completely forgot about them. I think you should have handled this by PM with Dev, you owe him an apology.

Why should I keep it on PM? is this not what feedback is for? what was done was wrong, no one should be allowed do that no matter their feelings and if I have to live with their actions then they(and Boards since they represent Boards) should have to live with me being public about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The reason he had to investigate was because he didn't know why your tagline was changed. I presume he asked someone like regi or asok and they told him about the defaults. Do you remember everything small little detail from the past couple of years?

The reason it didn't happen to anyone could be because you were moved from the "banned" usergroup back into the "registered user" usergroup. It seems like it put you into the wrong usergroup. I know nothing about vbulletin though so I may be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Did you even read Regi's reply?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Why should I keep it on PM? is this not what feedback is for? what was done was wrong, no one should be allowed do that no matter their feelings and if I have to live with their actions then they(and Boards since they represent Boards) should have to live with me being public about it.
    Because you shouldn't be calling him a liar in public in my opinion. That's just basic manners. By all means bring it to feedback but cut out the wild allegations.

Hagar wrote: »
    Kaz life will get much easier when you realize that not everybody is out to get you.

Is that how yous are going to deal with this? dismiss me as being "all about me" sure at the best of times that's how you all deal with everything. Every real issue on here is deals with by dismissals and fcuking cat pictures but the truth is you just sweep everything under the carpet, It was an obvious homo/transphobic act and you just don't want to admit it but I'd wonder if it'd be treated the same if it was a gay guy banned and someone changed his tag to "Fag"
    Karoma wrote: »
    I was labeled a freak.
    I too have an alt. account...not to evade bans though. Thank goodness nobody infracted you for "being a spanner"...

My alt account was nothing to do with evading a ban, my alt account was created a long time before that and I explained to alot of people why I created it and they accepted it otherwise I wouldn't still be here, my alt account has nothing to do with this so stop trying to change the subject.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Kazobel, do you really think the admins would waste the time it takes to edit your tagline just to get at a user they've probably never even heard of before?

Kazobel, do you really think the admins would waste the time it takes to edit your tagline just to get at a user they've probably never even heard of before?

Admin aren't the only ones with access to taglines

Admin aren't the only ones with access to taglines
    On here I'm pretty sure they are.

Edit: Actually I think smods can too. Do you really think an smod would do something like that. They've been given that position for a reason because they can be trusted with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Is that how yous are going to deal with this? dismiss me as being "all about me" sure at the best of times that's how you all deal with everything. Every real issue on here is deals with by dismissals and fcuking cat pictures but the truth is you just sweep everything under the carpet, It was an obvious homo/transphobic act and you just don't want to admit it but I'd wonder if it'd be treated the same if it was a gay guy banned and someone changed his tag to "Fag"

Two Admins have taken the time to respond to you, one of whom you haven't even acknowledged. You have been given the reason for what happened but this is apparently not good enough for you. You have no way of proving that someone maliciously set out to mess with your tag-line.
    The admins however, have proven that there used to be rankings for post-count, one of which happened to be "freak". It is not completely unrealistic that there was a glitch when you were unbanned.

I'm not sure what more you expect from this. You have been given the answer to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have to admit, when I saw your initial thread, I was horrified. I did think it was a low blow, very inappropriate.

But, Kazobel, I have to say, the lads wouldn't stoop that low. The admins/S-mods/whoever are decent people and know where the line is. There's taking the piss, and there's crossing a line. I truly believe nobody crossed that line with you.

Maybe I am being naive, but I find it hard to believe they would take a cheap shot like that at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Ok, Kazobel, I hope you know me as someone who is fair and level-minded.

As you are aware, there is a setting for the "Freak" tagline on vBulletin, in fact, on boards.org.uk where I am a non-root Admin ,the settings regi described are the default tagline settings. There is a chance that your tagline was inadvertently changed following your unbanning. Equally, there is a chance that someone was playing silly buggers and having a laugh. Poor taste? Most certainly. Did the Admins know, most likely not, believe it or not, these guys take boards.ie very seriously!

Honestly, if it was someone messing around, then that's a bit immature but it is also likely that this was simply a quirk. I know that on boards.org.uk strange things have happened from time to time as I've been trying to do things in the Admin CP, perhaps this is one of those occassions...

Either way, perhaps deal with the Admins via PM on this occassion. Might be worth it!

• Advertisement

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Two Admins have taken the time to respond to you, one of whom you haven't even acknowledged. You have been given the reason for what happened but this is apparently not good enough for you. You have no way of proving that someone maliciously set out to mess with your tag-line.
    The admins however, have proven that there used to be rankings for post-count, one of which happened to be "freak". It is not completely unrealistic that there was a glitch when you were unbanned.

I'm not sure what more you expect from this. You have been given the answer to your question.

Actually it is unrealistic, glitches like that don't just happen, I know because I'm a software engineer and write **** like vBulletins. no other person who has been banned has ever changed to "Freak" but I, amazingly, did and when all is said and done it really applied so well to to the opinion of me by some people on here anyway so lets all just gloss over it and ignore the freak trannie. It's no wonder I needed a fcuking alternative account and no wonder all TS post under unregged accounts because all it ever comes back to is us being freaks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement