Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powers V Jameson

Options
  • 29-02-2008 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Think I read somewhere that outside greater Dublin that Powers outsells Jameson !

Personally I tended to drink Jameson as my standard drinking whiskey ( I live in Dublin ) - then got a present of a bottle of Powers ( bought in JFK duty free ) and my opinion has changed and I love the taste of Powers and now ask for it when I'm having a whiskey out in my local .. I still love Jameson but I'm tending to prefer Powers..

Anybody else in the Powers persuasion ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SavageD

I came from outside Dublin and always drank Powers. I moved to Dublin (about 8 years ago) and now only drink Jameson. Powers is lovely, however I find Jamey much smoother and more rounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Powers is what I drink in the pub. Up until recently, Powers outsold Jameson in Ireland, but I think Jameson may have taken over now. Irish Distillers put all their budget into promoting Jameson, though. On the other hand, Powers is what most pubs put in Irish Coffee...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Really? I thought Paddy was commoner.

Yes, Jameson is rounder and smoother which is why I prefer Powers -- it has a slightly rough edge to it which I really like. It's also much less malty than Jameson and has that honey flavour which I think Irish whiskey does really well. Green Spot for preference, but Power's will do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

I always though Tullamore Dew was what they put in Irish coffees abroad ? Was away on holiday last year in Lanzarote and was in a Chinese resturant and decided to have an Irish coffee to finish off the meal and was surprised to see the waitress put Paddy in the glass for it ... best place for it anyway:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I like Jameson but if I had to choose between the two I would pick Powers.

• Advertisement

shanel23 wrote: »
    I always though Tullamore Dew was what they put in Irish coffees abroad ? Was away on holiday last year in Lanzarote and was in a Chinese resturant and decided to have an Irish coffee to finish off the meal and was surprised to see the waitress put Paddy in the glass for it ... best place for it anyway:D

Tullamore Dew is easier to come across aboad, so it's possible it is used a lot in Irish coffee, especially in Germany, where Tullamore is the best-selling irish whiskey, I believe.

In Ireland, though, it's mostly Powers in Irish coffee, because it's spicier than Jameson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Id prefer Jameson to Powers, but they are both fine whiskeys. Although Powers makes a nicer hot whiskey in my opinion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd ask here.

For the past few months it's now been possible to get Powers in several places in Paris. At €23 a bottle it's not cheap esp when 1L of Jameson is €25 (Paddy is €17:50 for info).

How much coçuld I expect to pay in Ireland for a 70cl bottle?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ponster wrote: »
    How much coçuld I expect to pay in Ireland for a 70cl bottle?
    High 20s: €25-€28, generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Jameson is too sweet and unchallenging for me.
    Maybe that's why it's the best selling whiskey!

• Advertisement

It's the best-selling whiskey because Pernod ricard pump about 99% of their advertising revenue for Irish whiskey into the brand. It's designed to be inoffensive. It's not bad, though. I prefer Powers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Good to know that I can buy Powers in France cheaper than I can in Ireland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ponster wrote: »
    Good to know that I can buy Powers in France cheaper than I can in Ireland :)

I remember seeing a bottle (700ml I think) of Jameson for €14 in a supermarket in Concarneau about 3 years ago. The amount of tax we pay is atrocious!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Absolutely - in Dublin duty free - 1L Jameson is 38.50 duty paid or 18.5 duty free ! In Dusseldorf they nearly always have a 2L pack for €33 .

We are robbed in this country. Bizarrely Tullamore Dew is the best selling Irish in Germany - not bad but I prefer the powers too.

Advertisement