Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unionist wearing orange sash addresses Sin Fein Ard Fheis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

TOMASJ wrote: »
    To the left side of where he entered the M1.
    That's not even a sentence! A sentence must mean something.
    ADIG wrote:
    That is no point at all. If people disagree with part of a government approach, they should just **** off out of the country?

I have seen you moan like **** on this forum about the FF government re: corruption which you are part funding, a stock response should be: Stop the moaning or get the **** out of the country as by staying you are accepting the corruption. That is really your point?
    I'm irish though-if a brit was living here moaning about our core policies or calling for us to abandon part of our country I would tell them they are free to leave too, just like I'd tell muslim extremists in Britain that they are also free to leave if they are not happy with Britain's core values. Nobody is making you stay in Britain. You obviously like it and are happy to contribute to its exchequer and fund its military. Britain is an amazingly tolerant place-it is home to loads of irish like you who b!tch and moan about Britain this and Britain that but who live there anyway, despite you being free to return to Ireland at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

murphaph wrote: »
    That's not even a sentence! A sentence must mean something.
    When do you take your English classes me being a ordinary Irish person and all and a superior type chap like you not being able to understand I feel gutted

Can I ask where you live if you live in the 26 countys I think by your own logic you are in the wrong country
    Dublin. How am I in the wrong country? Because I care not a jot that Northern Ireland is british? You might be disappointed to hear our numbers are on the increase. Fewer and fewer people see a United Ireland as important.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When do you take your English classes me being a ordinary Irish person and all and a superior type chap like you not being able to understand I feel gutted
    I really dislike when people are critical of another persons grammar but in fairness, it is difficult to read some of your posts.

turgon wrote: »
    Like I dont mean to insult, but I think very few people know what they are talking about when they talk about the North. Not being cocky, but we just finished studying Northern Ireland 1949 - 1993 in history so im fairly well informed. I base all my arguments on the facts learned there, which i think everyone should.
    Good for you turgon, at least you are taking the time learn about what you are talking about ,unlike some on the board who get their info from newspaper columnist with very slanted views, and then go on to Google more info for the rest of there contributions

• Advertisement

Again, total and utter gibberish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

IMO just another step in the normalisation process.A sad day for our land:(

Good for you turgon, at least you are taking the time learn about what you are talking about ,unlike some on the board who get their info from newspaper columnist with very slanted views, and then go on to Google more info for the rest of there contributions
    Yawn. We al studied Northern Irish histoy at school Tomas. Even in my catholic schools with they're bias towards all things gaelic they couldn't but tell the truth of the IRA and its heinous behaviour.

Dublin. How am I in the wrong country? Because I care not a jot that Northern Ireland is british? You might be disappointed to hear our numbers are on the increase. Fewer and fewer people see a United Ireland as important.
    No,no, you have got the wrong end of the stick, you said to A Dub in Glasgow I think for someone with such negative views on the institutions of the british state' you probably shouldn't live there, well this could apply to you' why do you live in Ireland when on you posts, you come over as a very loyal british subject

No,no, you have got the wrong end of the stick, you said to A Dub in Glasgow I think for someone with such negative views on the institutions of the british state' you probably shouldn't live there, well this could apply to you' why do you live in Ireland when on you posts, you come over as a very loyal british subject
    Because ADIG and I are irish. I live in our home country and can complain at will about it. He lives in your country, the UK, so doesn't (IMO) have the same rights to complain as he is not british (AFAIK)-just like various Islamofascists have no right to complain about there being no Shariah law in Britain etc.

Funny how you automatically associate someone with an intense dislike of your paramilitary pals as a loyalist-again you misunderstand the silent majority of us in the south who ALWAYS abhored the PIRA campaign carried out in our name against our will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Tomchats

I agree

Because ADIG and I are irish. I live in our home country and can complain at will about it. He lives in your country, the UK, so doesn't (IMO) have the same rights to complain as he is not british (AFAIK)-just like various Islamofascists have no right to complain about there being no Shariah law in Britain etc.

Funny how you automatically associate someone with an intense dislike of your paramilitary pals as a loyalist-again you misunderstand the silent majority of us in the south who ALWAYS abhored the PIRA campaign carried out in our name against our will.
    What makes you think, that I live in the uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Interesting, you never answered my question.

Funny how you automatically associate the likes of me who criticises any British mishandling to be a pal of rep. murderers, yet you take a dislike to anyone who brand you on the loyalist side.

There is no monopoly on suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

How is it that a simple statement about unionists speaking to the Ard Feis turns into 'Well actually the BA were killin people lots more than the IRA etc etc etc'. These massively off topic posts demean any serious discussion.

How is it that a simple statement about unionists speaking to the Ard Feis turns into 'Well actually the BA were killin people lots more than the IRA etc etc etc'. These massively off topic posts demean any serious discussion.

That bit started at post #6 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Dubit10 wrote: »
    IMO just another step in the normalisation process.

Everytime I hear that word "normalisation", i just know its a backward paddy living in 1920 saying it. To be quite honest, I couldnt really take anyone seriously after they used that word. "normalisation", I mean what the hell?? Isnt it normal already??? or what do they mean by it???? Beats me, but every time I hear of some good integration work being done in this country, and us moving forward a bit more, i always here a backward republican sinn fein person spouting of that word.

England at croke park - "normalisation"
    St Andrews Agreement - "normalisation"
    Anglo - Irish Agreemtent - "normalisation"

No one even listens any more, rep. sinn fein.
    "normalisation". Load of crap. Is it even a word?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Now back on topic. It is great to see the two sides coming together like that. It will take years to build trust between the two communities after such a long history of distrust and violence but it is going on in the right direction. Lets hope that Ian Paisley's successor doesn't bring the unionists back to the "no surrender" or no compromise mindset.

Will Sinn Fein be invited to the next DUP annual conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

leincar wrote: »
    Getting back to the original post maybe Sinn Fein are growing up a bit judging by the reception the Unionist got at the Ard Fheis.

I wouldnt say growing up leincar I would say moving on.

I think there was a time when physical force was justified but that day is long gone and I personally feel the way forward is pretty clear cut.

As I stated before both sides took part in atrocities, war is a dirty business, but I think its time we all moved on and stopped slinging sh1t. We can spend all day here talking about Enniskillen or Bloody Sunday but it is utterly pointless and can never lead to anything productive.
    I wonder what sort of reception would a Nationalist/Republican get at a DUP party conference?

I am clearly biased but something tells me it would not be as rosy which is sad. I think it is pretty clear what party out of Sinn Fein and DUP is more committed to forging real relationships between communities.

Suppose its only fair to point out though that Sinn Fein have a politcal incentive to do that, while you could argue DUP has an an incentive for the opposite thing.

Babybing wrote: »
    Suppose its only fair to point out though that Sinn Fein have a politcal incentive to do that, while you could argue DUP has an an incentive for the opposite thing.
    Exactly. The DUP are already in a precarious position having effectively mis-sold their last election manifesto to the protestant people. They U-turned almost immediately and protestants in Northern Ireland have nobody to trust anymore. It may turn out that their best interests are served by the population of the republic who (unlike SF) are not about to commit economic suicide anytime soon. If unionists were clever they would stop voting immediately for tribal parties and start voting Conservative. If the Tories had all 10 of the Unionist seats from NI to lose they'd pay more attention to the protestant people.

If unionists were clever they would stop voting immediately for tribal parties and start voting Conservative. If the Tories had all 10 of the Unionist seats from NI to lose they'd pay more attention to the protestant people.

So the unionist population is stupid for voting for their elected representatives?

Way to go for insulting them! :D

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    So the unionist population is stupid for voting for their elected representatives?

Way to go for insulting them! :D
    Yes, my post was clearly aimed at insulting unionists and you didn't miss the point again. :rolleyes:

Yes, my post was clearly aimed at insulting unionists and you didn't miss the point again. :rolleyes:

Clever usually means not being stupid! :rolleyes:

If anyway they did starting voting Conservative(which they have not done despite the Conservative party campaigning for their votes for donkeys years), the other side will start voting for Labour to counteract them hence continuing the tribal war of words.
    One side holding unfair advantage in parliament like your prospectus ain't good for proper governance of either NI or Britain itself.

Clever usually means not being stupid! :rolleyes:
    Wrong. A person can be of what we call average intelligence, in which case they are neither clever nor stupid. Most people are of average intelligence. The hint is in the name.
    If anyway they did starting voting Conservative(which they have not done despite the Conservative party campaigning for their votes for donkeys years)
    No they haven't, not in any serious capacity. They don't even stand candidates in many constituencies!
    the other side will start voting for Labour to counteract them hence continuing the tribal war of words.
    Labour don't organise in Northern ireland at all and never have done! Do you not know this stuff?
    One side holding unfair advantage in parliament like your prospectus ain't good for proper governance of either NI or Britain itself.
    What's wrong with majority rule? It's democratic. The current power sharing is fundamentally undemocratic as a minority get a veto in everything. This can only work for so long before it goes stale. Democracy needs cut and thrust to thive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Labour don't organise in Northern ireland at all and never have done! Do you not know this stuff?

Labour already are organising in the North and plan to contest the next local government elections.

Labour already are organising in the North and plan to contest the next local government elections.
    Well if this is true (link please) then it's a new development. However Labour are a unionist party as much as the Tories (who signed the AIA! and pretty much every major agreement to do with Northern Ireland) and so I fail to see the attaction for nationalist voters who genuinely want out of the UK.

No Murph, I was talking about the Irish Labour party.

No Murph, I was talking about the Irish Labour party.
    Ah right. Well we were talking about the Conservatives and Labour in the context of a part of the United Kingdom so it's pretty obvious gurramok and I weren't talking about the ILP but the party led by Gordon Brown.

Misunderstanding on my part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Well if this is true (link please) then it's a new development. However Labour are a unionist party as much as the Tories (who signed the AIA! and pretty much every major agreement to do with Northern Ireland) and so I fail to see the attaction for nationalist voters who genuinely want out of the UK.

How many Nationalist voters genuinely want out of the U.K.?

• Advertisement

How many Nationalist voters genuinely want out of the U.K.?
    That's the nub of the issue. I suggest (as do opinion polls) they are far fewer than their actual numbers. They have it good in Northern Ireland compared to here-higher spending on public services (the highest per capita in the UK with the possible exception of London), lower cost of housing and far lower general cost of living. They might vote for their local tribal leader at election time because they get more for their area than the other tribal leader but that is a world away from actually voting to seceed from a welfare state to join the RoI which is a much leaner beast.

Advertisement