Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

self build block work

• 29-02-2008 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

i am building a 3140 sq ft house in a type of n shape to create courtyard effect at back, very traditional design in Co. Cork.

my question is about the blockwork. I have been quoted for all my walls, 3 courses of dead work, all materials and labour including:
    blocks
    soaps
    lintels
    cills
    chimneys
    fireplace flu
    dpc's
    insulation and walll ties
    sand
    cement and plas

the quote i have including everything is 33,340 euro, how does that sound?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Is that plaster or plastiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 keno75

it does not include any plastering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

who's responsible for digging / pouring the foundations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

If this price is for Just the block work and materials quoted its Daylight robbery..

Is there any stone work involved?

This Includes All Materials It Does Not Include Any Ground Works/ Foundations Etc
    Does Not Include Plastering

My Whole Project Is Coming In At About €400,000 For A 3141 Sq Ft Country Farmhouse - Thats Turnkey Everything Incl
    I Work That Out At About €127 Per Sq Ft - The Spec Would Be Quite High At That

Is It As Cut And Dry As Price. Does The Quality/reputation Of The Builder Count For Anything? This Guy Comes Very Highly Recommended To Me And A Family Member Is Project Managing The Project - Someone We Would Have 100% Confidence In.

What Do Ye Think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

keno75 wrote: »
    This Includes All Materials It Does Not Include Any Ground Works/ Foundations Etc
    Does Not Include Plastering ..............................................Thats Turnkey Everything Inc
    Thats not a turnkey project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

Do you know how many blocks are needed??? That will be a good starting point for a price comparison....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

Does Not Include Plastering

My Whole Project Is Coming In At About €400,000 For A 3141 Sq Ft Country Farmhouse - Thats Turnkey Everything Incl
    I Work That Out At About €127 Per Sq Ft - The Spec Would Be Quite High At That

Is It As Cut And Dry As Price. Does The Quality/reputation Of The Builder Count For Anything? This Guy Comes Very Highly Recommended To Me And A Family Member Is Project Managing The Project - Someone We Would Have 100% Confidence In.

What Do Ye Think?

speaking from experience i get worried when i see a project intended to come in at a certain price, what type of doors, skirting etc would be used ? oak, ash? kitchen etc all these add to the cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

i am building a 3140 sq ft house in a type of n shape to create courtyard effect at back, very traditional design in Co. Cork.

my question is about the blockwork. I have been quoted for all my walls, 3 courses of dead work, all materials and labour including:
    blocks
    soaps
    lintels
    cills
    chimneys
    fireplace flu
    dpc's
    insulation and walll ties
    sand
    cement and plas

the quote i have including everything is 33,340 euro, how does that sound?

Rough figures for 2150 sq bungalow on three levels and 232 sq ft garage.
    Includes ground work, rockbreaker,stone,radon ,tanking,wavins,blocks ,blockwork,dpc,plasticiser,lintels,cills,soaps etc,concrete for founds and sub floor,sand ,cement,wall ties and steel work.
    €49,772 + Insulation panels approx €3000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

similar sized storey and a half, 3200 sq ft with a 700 sq ft garage (did with cavity blocks) cost us 21,000 incl vat.
    i haven't done the maths on the amount of blocks but it was a euro a block roughly and the labour was 10000. included cement, sand, lintels and hire of a teleporter for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭lfcjfc

Finished the blockwork on a 3100ft H-shape house back in Autumn 07. Excluding deadwork, all labour (€1.20 per block) and all materials (everything!) came to €23000. We supplied materials ourselves. Labour costs may havedropped slightly sine then but materials have definitely gone up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi...
    We've a 1.5 Story traditional style 3200 sq ft house ongoing... I did the math for what it cost us, €28,100
    This includes everything from the foundations right up, 4 rows deadbuilding...
    We installed the radon & poured the sub floors ourselves.
    We supplied all materials to site..

Cheers..
    BAM

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tobinj6

Hi i think you would be mad to allow the builder to supply materials, you should take time out and sit down with pm or qs and get the quantity of what materials you need for the project and ring around for best prices, then pay for the laour only and you will be sure to save at least 8000 euro which in turn will go towards materials for your roof etc. Also the amount of brickies tha are crying out for work is amazing so be afraid to speak.
    Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress

Firstly to muffler - this is a turnkey project - you hardly think im after forgeting the foundations in the house. you read the post out of context.

et al - the labour is costing €22,977 for the blockwork this includes 3 courses of deadwork and all the scaffolding etc. plus what is listed in the first post. I am buying all the materials myself.

what confuses me is that if I divide that figure by the number of blocks which is 9750 - I get €2.35 per block, but obvioulsy its not as simple as this. what else beside labour per block is built into these costs, eg deadwork, window cills (36) etc

by the way thanks for all yere replies - we are due to break ground on the 14th of march

bbam,

when you say from the foundations up - do you mean incuding the foundations or not for that price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

Based on your price by the block things look very pricey. The quote I've gobne with is -
    80c a block for the rising walls.
    Then the structure itself will cost €8,000. Blockies seem to include windows and doors in their amount of blocks for costs some others not. Lads have said to me this "factors in" the headache of sills etc. I have about 6,300 blocks in the structure of the house which seems to give about 1.27 per block. Saying that there is a bay window and an area where gable wall meets a slightly angled roof and a need for a few RSJs for walls that protude. Nothing messy, but not 100% square and standard....

Another guy quoted me 10k for 3 courses of rising wall and the full structure, which is similar to the quote I've gone with.

A next door neighbour of mine has about 10,000 blocks in the house he's about to build and he's received a quote of 12k for all work from rising walls up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

bbam,

when you say from the foundations up - do you mean incuding the foundations or not for that price

No, foundations were seperate...
    Cheers
    bam

Advertisement