Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crap evening!

Options
  • 29-02-2008 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭

spent the evening trying to replace the alpine headunit in the m3 with an oem bmw business unit, finally get the fookin thing out and go to install the bmw unit and i realise the power connector has been changed to fit the alpine unit

so instead of this

pryconnector.jpg

i have this

29022008011.jpg

im so annoyed i just want a stock hu, also the only other wire i seem to have is the tuner am i missing something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Unless I'm mistaken, the large block connector with round pins is the main power/speakers/car interface. Below that, fitting into the carrier there will be a smaller pinned connector, which should be the boot CD changer cable, and you may have room and pins for another connector. Your choice whether it's to be an aux. input or iPod connection.

The aerial wire should be pretty obvious.

I feel your pain though. My heart would sink if I saw insulating tape and gunthered wires! Which BMW HU did you end up getting? Business or Pro? And from where?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

maybe this will help maybe not... in the second picture you have what i believe is called an iso connector (for blaupunkts and the like) what you seem to need is the one in the top photo (am I correct??)

Anyway, you should be able to pick up an iso, to bmw connector cable. Leave it to the pros! Down with gunthering! (joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

milltown wrote: »
    Unless I'm mistaken, the large block connector with round pins is the main power/speakers/car interface. Below that, fitting into the carrier there will be a smaller pinned connector, which should be the boot CD changer cable, and you may have room and pins for another connector. Your choice whether it's to be an aux. input or iPod connection.

The aerial wire should be pretty obvious.

I feel your pain though. My heart would sink if I saw insulating tape and gunthered wires! Which BMW HU did you end up getting? Business or Pro? And from where?

just got a slot loading business hu from the bay, 150 lids delivered!

maybe this will help maybe not... in the second picture you have what i believe is called an iso connector (for blaupunkts and the like) what you seem to need is the one in the top photo (am I correct??)

Anyway, you should be able to pick up an iso, to bmw connector cable. Leave it to the pros! Down with gunthering! (joking)

you can get the reverse alright (bmw fitting to ISO) but i dont think you can get ISO to Bmw :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

I don't think that's a ISO block, it's just an Alpine block.
    Oh that's so annoying! Why didn't the previous owner just buy a BMW -> ISO adaptor and then use the (probably supplied) ISO -> Alpine adaptor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

See if you can source a BMW connector block from a car dismantlers yard.
    You could just remove the Alpine block and carefully solder and heat shrink the BMW block back on.
    A bit of work, but at least it will be back to original.

I got the CD43 headunit for my E34. I think it looks great in the dash.
    img1662kv9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

the block there looks abit cut and shut,if you can reach back any further can you see/feel an iso block that that single block is attached to?

If not your more than likely going to have to cut the alpine single block from the loom and solder back on an iso block,not the worst in the world but it'l solve your problem

think i have a man to sort it, fingers crossed :)

Advertisement