Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memory Usage 73%

• 29-02-2008 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My laptop is using 73% memory when only running ie explorer. I ran a scan which has turned up nothing. Any ideas on whats happening here?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Are you using vista? If so, how much ram do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

As the cushion said: What OS?
    Post a screenshot of Task Manager, sorted by memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm going to move this over to Windows as it is more of a Windows problem than a specific laptop problem.

Moved from laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Core 2 Duo 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Vista Business

Can't do a printscreen for some reason won't allow me paste here

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Paste it into paint, save the image as a jpg and then when you are posting a reponse, click the manage attachments button. A new screen will open then browse to the image.

Vista is pretty ram hungry. You really would be better off with 2GBs ram for vista. You can get 2GBs ram from shop4memory.ie for around €60.

• Advertisement

How would I go about installing more ram?

You need to buy a 2x1GB (for 2GBs) ram kit or a 2x2GB kit (for 4GBs). All you have to do then is remove the old ram and slot in the new ram. It's really quite easy.

Looking at shop for memory and don't know what ram i need. Thanks for replies - never dealt with this kind of things before:D

Found it thanks will probably be back here when I go to put it in!

Are the graphs in the pic for usage normal? Still seems very large for only running ie explorer?

More or less. Vista likes a lot of ram. Just to let you know the ram you are looking for is ddr2 So-dimms.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Looking at your screen you have norton installed, uninstalling that junk should help aswell ;)

Nick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

VISTA likes ram, it also uses it.
    If you have more than 768 MB with windows XP it can be worth turning OFF the swap files because otherwise XP aggressively swaps things from memory to the hard drive because it was designed for 64MB machines , this means you have plenty of memory free but slows down your system. VISTA is the opposite, it doesn't swap stuff out of memory until you need that memory for something else. It's not that you have only 27% free memory, it's that with all the pre-caching and space reserved by windows in case it might be used you have peaked at 73%.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457057.aspx
    Windows XP does not require 128 MB of RAM. The operating system can run with 64 MB of RAM. For many workloads that involve Web browsing, e-mail, and other activities, 64 MB of RAM will provide you with a user experience equivalent or superior to that of Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me) running on the same hardware. If you're satisfied with using Windows Me on lower-end computers, you should find Windows XP a satisfactory upgrade

Advertisement