Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Invasion Plans

• 29-02-2008 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'm asking this questions in all seriousness.
    I'm don't have much knowledge of the Irish military but I do have an interest in History.

I recently learned the US has plans drafted for invading neighbouring countries, Canada for example. Most likely will never be used but it's good to have a plan stored away.

My question is does the Irish military have plans like this? Is there a plan if we were invaded by the UK most likely? Is there even a plan for a counter-attack, maybe Northern Ireland. What about a blockade of western ports by the US or other nations? Or maybe if we try to enforce a claim on Rockall?

I'm not asking for specific details for obvious reasons, just wondering are we prepared for such a situation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Well, in brief, if we do then No one on here would know and even if they did know then they couldn't/wouldn't tell us.

I assume at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

definately reckon UK have plans for our acquisition.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

definately reckon UK have plans for our acquisition.

I assume they have. I think for a long time now (since the Prussian idea of Staff Officers probably) most militaries have plans ready for any eventuality. After all they are there to protect the nation and/or the nations interests so they need a plan for it. The famous Plan Yellow (think it was yellow,or was it green?) for the German invasion of Ireland springs to mind. The US already had a plan for war with Japan when Pearl Harbour happened.

I always though it was naive of the media to claim the US were being dishonest for years by having plan for an invasion of Iraq. Rather that thinking that maybe it was kept since the last time they were there.

AS for us we probaly have a plan for blocking invading forces dependant on whether they are seaborne or landborne. Maybe possibilty of insugency campaign in face of overwhelming enemy forced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

That was definetely Operation Green. Operation Yellow was the German plan to take control of British airspace IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

As I remember correctly there was a bit of a scandal a couple of years back when somebody discovered that there actually was a plan to attack and occupy Northern Ireland.
    It's dating back to fifties - sixties an my personal opinion is, that purchase of Vampires is somehow connected to this plan.

BTW: I don't believe, that somebody actually thought that this is possible, but yes there was a plan and like was said before, I think, that every country has some sort of plan/s of this kind.

And is Ireland prepared for such eventuality? No and never was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Bramble wrote: »
    I assume they have. I think for a long time now (since the Prussian idea of Staff Officers probably) most militaries have plans ready for any eventuality. After all they are there to protect the nation and/or the nations interests so they need a plan for it. The famous Plan Yellow (think it was yellow,or was it green?) for the German invasion of Ireland springs to mind. The US already had a plan for war with Japan when Pearl Harbour happened.

I always though it was naive of the media to claim the US were being dishonest for years by having plan for an invasion of Iraq. Rather that thinking that maybe it was kept since the last time they were there.

AS for us we probaly have a plan for blocking invading forces dependant on whether they are seaborne or landborne. Maybe possibilty of insugency campaign in face of overwhelming enemy forced.

I'd say we would be better off adopting the Italian approach. Surrender to any member of the invading force asap:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

FiSe wrote: »
    As I remember correctly there was a bit of a scandal a couple of years back when somebody discovered that there actually was a plan to attack and occupy Northern Ireland.
    It's dating back to fifties - sixties an my personal opinion is, that purchase of Vampires is somehow connected to this plan.

BTW: I don't believe, that somebody actually thought that this is possible, but yes there was a plan and like was said before, I think, that every country has some sort of plan/s of this kind.

And is Ireland prepared for such eventuality? No and never was.

theres the crux, militaries plan for every eventuallity they can think of, the idea being that if something dreadfull happens at 3am on a sunday morning you'll be in a better postion if you can rip something off the shelf that tells you the enemys force composition, where its airfeilds are, what its doctrine is and how you can fight it, rather than scrambling around trying to make decisions when your HQ is burning and you've no telephone lines.

the sad thing, particularly in the case of Northern Ireland, is that had Ireland had a plan, and the resources to carry out that plan should it be required (regardless of whether the government had any actual intention of carrying out that plan despite public statements to the contrary) then its quite possible that the British Government would not have ignored the politics of NI going to the ****ter throughout the 1960's.

the BG's reluctance to get involved stemmed from its belief - well founded perhaps - that, regardless of its intentions, anything that Westmnster did in Ireland made the situation, bad as it was, worse. had there been a real threat (intention + capability = threat) that the RoI could have intervened in the event of serious civil disturbance or even struck pre-emptively against what was obviously a 'failing state', and done so potentially successfully, in the very early 60's its unlikely the BG would of taken such a 'hands off' veiw in a period when its attention might have been of significant value to all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Within our own country I do know that the Government have a bunker in Portlaoise and I've heard of one in Athlone too. There is also a plan in place to effectively shut down transport in this country which stems from the Troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

I imagine there is a still a plan for and excursion into Northern Ireland still, however theoretical it might be. I wonder though, do we have a plan to invade the UK? :D I would also imagine there is a contingency plan for a possible invasion of Ireland. Also I would guess plans to cater for an internal revolt or coup. For example, Cork might finally decide to secede from the state. They're practically a foreign country anyway. :p Or Dublin could try to give up the pretence of being Irish and expel non Dubs outside the pale and reunite with it's real homeland: Britain. :)

I daresay the Americans have a plan for the invasion of Ireland too should we be ally ourselves with Cuba or if we get Nuclear weapons. No bad thing really. I already have a stars and stripes ready to wave to the troops when they arrive.

Speaking of the Americans and plans for Iraq. I read about a British official who went to Iraq when the conventional war finished. He was handed plans for the occupation. He found them oddly familiar. He realised why when he came to the section on money. It said that only currencies acceptable for use in Iraq under the occupation were US dollars and Reichmarks.
    There were simply a poorly edited re-hash of the plans for the occupation of Nazi Germany. Obviously nothing get thrown away in the US government.:eek:

On the other hand when the US invaded Grenada, the troops were issued with tourist maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

I'd say theres some ambiguous invasion response plan for ireland. de Valera was confident that ireland would be able to hold out for longer then other previously conqured european nations in world war 2 (although the evidence is of the countrary).

It's probably not designed for a specific force, just a well structured european army.

Churchill developed palns for irelands invasion in WW2, the primary reason was not operation green or the chance of the irish siding with the germans but for the full use of our strategic ports.

• Advertisement
Advertisement