Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to Storage Heaters... Such a nightmare

• 29-02-2008 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I've recently moved into an apartment with Storage Heaters operated by the Gold Shield.
    I have two Combination Storage Heaters in the living room. So my question is the following. Is there a setting on these heaters that allows me have the heaters lukewarm (or off) during the day and hotter in the evening by switching a button or setting?

Thanks in advance.

Donal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I'm afraid not Donal.

The hottest time the heaters will be is in the morning.

You can close a damper in the heater normally which reduces the air flow through it and retains the heat until later in the day. This is about as close as you'll get to what I think you need.

I'm sorry to say that you have found the lack of versatility in the storage heating system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Yeah the damper is about the only thing and unless you have a seperate element in it it cant be switched on during the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Yeah the damper is about the only thing and unless you have a seperate element in it it cant be switched on during the day

Even if they do have a separate element that can be switched on during the day, it works off the day rate electricity so it's just the same as running a normal electric heater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

True, but the op said that they were combination units, so they do have an extra element (i.e they are a combined storage heater and panel heater), so Donal can have them come on later in the day, it will just cost more, but the control is there, he has the option, the panel heater element of the heater should have a timer on it (if not he can get one), Donal you will know it is a combi unit as it will have two switches where as a standard storage heater only has one.

BTW is unusual to have two combi units in the one living room, usually there will be only on combi and one ordinary storage heater, gold shield as a spec is gone now but that was their spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ppdonal

Yeah the damper is about the only thing

Sorry thick question but what's a damper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

ppdonal wrote: »
    Sorry thick question but what's a damper?

There's usually two knobs on a storage heater, one may be marked 'input', the other 'boost'

The input knob is a thermostat which controls how much heat is stored during the night.
    The boost knob operates a damper on the top of the heater box. If you turn it to minimum overnight and during the day, and then turn it up in the evening, the heater will store heat until you need it. (in theory)
    Mostly when people find their storage heaters are cool by the evening, the problem is in the insulation of the apartment, or possibly the heaters may not be big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭MazStar

I also have storage heating in my apartment that I am totally new to. There is a dial in my fuseboard box for the heating. When I first moved in the heating was not working so I fiddled around with this dial and it started working again. Im afraid I may have changed it to an incorrect setting? Does anyone know what it should be set at?

Thanks

Advertisement