Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I hate about Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

rb_ie wrote: »
    In your year?You're obviously underage so, you'll learn a bit when you grow up that not everyone needs alcohol to have fun.

I'm in Leaving Cert and (obviously) not underage! I've been getting into pubs for the last 2 years and I see the same **** every weekend! People of 40+ hammered off their heads drunk and making a disgrace of themselves......so it doesn't change for everybody when they grow up! I'm fairly sure that this is happening in every other town in Ireland too!
    Many other people have posted replies saying they hate peoples attitudes to drink too!
    if you weren't so dull, maybe people wouldn't have to drink?
    ;)

Tonite the whole town was out celebrating the pres being over and I was one of a very small number of people who chose not to drink! I didn't touch a drink tonight and still had a great time! Everyone i knew that was out tonite got drunk except the people that drive!
    WooPeeA wrote: »
    Maybe I have no bad experience but in my opinion 80% of population is friendly and welcoming.

That's why other nations are friendly to people from Ireland. ;)

I've seen scum outside the nightclub starting fights on people just cos their Polish! It sickens me! luckily most Polish men are far stronger and win

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

EI-DAV wrote: »
    Here's what I hate about Ireland:

- Breakfast Rolls

I was gonna jump on the band wagon and say "boo hiss @ EI-DAV" but then i thought about it. Maybe you have a point. The brekkie roll is actually a great thing, but with the influx of foreign businesses we have shops and spars that sell crappy breakfast rolls! It brings shame to the culture!

Or i could be wrong and you just dont like them full stop!

Im off for a rasher sandwich, homemade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

kawaii wrote: »
    And I hate the homeless prick begging outside the spar down the road from me.

HELLO MODS!!!

i would like to see this person barred from this forum!! this is a blatant racist, incitred to hatred. the person outside the spar involved is actually not a "prick"! merely a victim of circumstances!

flanum wrote: »
    HELLO MODS!!!

i would like to see this person barred from this forum!! this is a blatant racist, incitred to hatred. the person outside the spar involved is actually not a "prick"! merely a victim of circumstances!

It's usually best to 'report the post' - click the image on the left with the exclamation mark in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

HELLO MODS!!!

Jesus ted. Learn what racist means before you start throwing it around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

:o

fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

People in expensive cars that think they own the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

The roads and traffic. Living abroad you learn to appreciate the people. The irish people (the majority) fcking rock.

Sure the services and scumbag element suck but the majority of people i know are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭conormurphy

I love the people here, and I love being an Irish person, proud of Pearse, Michael Collins is a hero of mine (well he's everyone's hero kinda)...

I hate...

1) The economy seems stunted i.e. no great addition has been made lately in Dublin etc. The day the Spire was announced was the day I decided I don't want to live in Ireland anymore.

2) I end up in the countryside all the time and while people who haven't been there love it, I don't really, I'm more of a city person.

3) The Luas was another useless addition in my opinion.

4) The Bus system is an absolute disgrace, they're never on time.

5) There is no great attraction to the League of Ireland, I'd prefer going to big matches in Europe I suppose however I wouldn't want to live in England, it is too similar to Ireland in the way that it holds the same criticisms that I made of Ireland.

For those reasons, I want to live in Asia or America when I finish college, find work over in one of them more exciting places. However, I suppose that people in these places have criticisms for their homes too. But..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

berliner wrote: »
    It's a rip off.At night it's full of aggressive drunks.I

And this is supposed to be as opposed to every other capital city in the world?......yawn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

slipss wrote: »
    And this is supposed to be as opposed to every other capital city in the world?......yawn

meh you're wrong. its not like this where i live. i love being irish too but the figthing bugs the balls off me tbh. i have been in several capital cities and dublin is the worst for aggresiion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

this is a blatant racist
    Yes, denigrating all those poor pricks from the former soviet republic of prickistan. Sure its not their fault that the Presidential Prick turned out to be bent and started deporting pricks left right and centre. Whats a wandering prick to do only beg outside spar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

slipss wrote: »
    So you've been in loads of different cities then. I've been in a few and this place is pretty bad for its size.The culture of drinking is everywhere.Advertisements for booze are on nearly every billboard.Dublin is being sold to tourists as one big Guinness theme park.Its crazy.

im sorry(see what i mean)

i havent come across this as an irish attitude yet.

hope that didnt annoy you, sorry.

Have you mixed up arselicking with assertiveness?

You live in Cavan....you can't be an aggressive arsehole there because your not anoymous and you'll attract payback.
    Take a trip to someone more cosmopolitan like Mullingar and you'll see what I'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

Niamh-17 wrote: »
    There are a lot of things i like about Ireland but there are a few things i hate about it.

I hate the way Ireland is regarded for its "Drink". That annoys me so much. Why do some people head out at weekend to get "completly wasted" where is the enjoyment in this? I envy foreign countries attitude to drinking. For example when i was in Belgium on my holidays last year, i noticed a vending machiene which had soft drinks but also cans of beer on a street. In ireland we couldnt do this as underagers would completly abuse this. I really wish we could have a postive and mature attitude towards alcohol.
    That is just one thing i dislike about Ireland!

+ 1
    In other countries getting sloshed is very different to here. 10/12 pints in a night should not be completely normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

The problem with Ireland is its full of Irish. :D

Ok seriously ...

1. Americanised. We're practically an American state culturally. Maybe a bit fewer idiots and more scumbags but we're so Americanised its sickening. And yes I know there are plenty of people here who would be proud of being called "Americanised". Well fair play to ye.

2. Money, Money, Money. Its all we seem to care about anymore. Again, there are plenty of you who think thats a good thing, I know.

3. Politicians. Couldn't be more corrupt if everyone of them had to take a 6 month correspondence course with Charlie Haughey before going through 8 years of a Phd in corruption ran by Tony Soprano. No this is not what politicians are like the world over, why ? because any of them that are like our scum wouldn't last a week in the job in most other countries.

4. Scumbags. Could we possibly have any more ? They're like bloody rabbits.

5. Justice System. I had my first experience of the receiving end of this first hand lately. I was really really surprised actually. As long as you don't have a certain last name or are a known affiliate of such and such they want to do you for everything and anything they can. I mean, they literally spent about 30 minutes trying to convince me I had taken drugs and to put it into my statement. I eventually lost the head and told them to test me, they didn't want to because they knew bloody well I hadn't. (and by the way it wasn't for anything serious)

Oh and what I mean by being a known affiliate, having a last name etc etc is the scumbags. I have seen it so many times, they are actually afraid of the scumbags round here. I have seen two guards literally see a fight, turn around and walk away 5 or 6 times. You call them if theres "trouble" and they might come out, but mention a known scumbags name or the "tinker" word and you might as well have sent them a letter because they won't go near you till its all over.

6. rip off. Do i need to say more ?

7. Joe Duffy, Gerry Ryan and every other eejit on RTE.

8. The "Ah sher it'll do" mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

+ 1
    In other countries getting sloshed is very different to here. 10/12 pints in a night should not be completely normal

Actually I'm in Korea at the moment and they drink as much if not more then us and you know what? They generally don't start fights after it.

The bars here don't shut and it seems to be the law that after work every businessman has to get sloshed and waddle home at 5-6am with his mates.

I've seen one single fight here that wasn't even serious.

You can walk ANYWHERE in Seoul at any time of the night without fear, with a population of 23 million including the surrounding area thats what I can fairly amazing but then again I'm used to Ireland.

The only scumbags in this country I've had the "pleasure" of meeting are the ones with American accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Have you mixed up arselicking with assertiveness?

You live in Cavan....you can't be an aggressive arsehole there because your not anoymous and you'll attract payback.
    Take a trip to someone more cosmopolitan like Mullingar and you'll see what I'm talking about.

someone? is mullingar a person?
    yawn

monosharp wrote: »
    The problem with Ireland is its full of Irish. :D

Ok seriously ...

1. Americanised. We're practically an American state culturally. Maybe a bit fewer idiots and more scumbags but we're so Americanised its sickening. And yes I know there are plenty of people here who would be proud of being called "Americanised". Well fair play to ye.

2. Money, Money, Money. Its all we seem to care about anymore. Again, there are plenty of you who think thats a good thing, I know.

3. Politicians. Couldn't be more corrupt if everyone of them had to take a 6 month correspondence course with Charlie Haughey before going through 8 years of a Phd in corruption ran by Tony Soprano. No this is not what politicians are like the world over, why ? because any of them that are like our scum wouldn't last a week in the job in most other countries.

4. Scumbags. Could we possibly have any more ? They're like bloody rabbits.

5. Justice System. I had my first experience of the receiving end of this first hand lately. I was really really surprised actually. As long as you don't have a certain last name or are a known affiliate of such and such they want to do you for everything and anything they can. I mean, they literally spent about 30 minutes trying to convince me I had taken drugs and to put it into my statement. I eventually lost the head and told them to test me, they didn't want to because they knew bloody well I hadn't. (and by the way it wasn't for anything serious)

Oh and what I mean by being a known affiliate, having a last name etc etc is the scumbags. I have seen it so many times, they are actually afraid of the scumbags round here. I have seen two guards literally see a fight, turn around and walk away 5 or 6 times. You call them if theres "trouble" and they might come out, but mention a known scumbags name or the "tinker" word and you might as well have sent them a letter because they won't go near you till its all over.

6. rip off. Do i need to say more ?

7. Joe Duffy, Gerry Ryan and every other eejit on RTE.

8. The "Ah sher it'll do" mentality.
    Joe Duffy is certainly not an eegit.How dare you sir.I demand you retract that!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

monosharp wrote: »

You think our government is corrupt?
    Take a look around.
    Anywhere in Africa, South America, Asia should do.

The problem with us is that right now we don't know how good we have it.

And for a country who just ONE generation back had it so bad that's pretty shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Rates of tax we have to pay, double taxed on some things, apart from that i love Ireland

mathie wrote: »
    You think our government is corrupt?
    Take a look around.
    Anywhere in Africa, South America, Asia should do.

The problem with us is that right now we don't know how good we have it.

And for a country who just ONE generation back had it so bad that's pretty shocking.
    You obviously haven't been to an A/E recently.or travelled across Dublin.Or doged the huge amount of drunks everywhere.Incidentally,the dail sat for 78 days last year.This place is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

So Berliner..you don't like the traffic, we drink too much, the hospitals aren't up to scratch, you generally hate the place.

I know it's been asked before, but if I was you I would genuinely go. Anytime i'm in a situation which I hate..which is pretty strong comment, i would have the swingers to do something about it, i'd leave. Why stay...seriously ?

If you're staying...have you anything constructive you'd like to see happen ?

There are some top class whingers on this thread, i'm willing to bet that's all they are. Don't like something, try and change it....or get some perspective. You should be glad to be living in one of the richest countries in the world, with a system of government which affords you opportunity for freedom of speech and opportunity to do whatever you want with your miserable selves. You can come and go as you please. Most corrupt politicians ever...get a grip...get some perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

You obviously haven't been to an A/E recently.or travelled across Dublin.Or doged the huge amount of drunks everywhere.Incidentally,the dail sat for 78 days last year.This place is a joke.

Oh no! Someone hates Ireland! Whateaver will we do!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

I think you're being a bit harsh here, it's true that Ireland is a flawed country; terrible infrastructure, corrupt politicians etc.

However, it's a fun and friendly country and nowhere else can you use the phrase "it was great craic" without getting funny looks!

quick...there's two guys drinking in the street about half a mile from the office, if we're quick we can get a game of dodge the drunk on the go.

Who's in ?

:)

I am pie wrote: »
    So Berliner..you don't like the traffic, we drink too much, the hospitals aren't up to scratch, you generally hate the place.

I know it's been asked before, but if I was you I would genuinely go. Anytime i'm in a situation which I hate..which is pretty strong comment, i would have the swingers to do something about it, i'd leave. Why stay...seriously ?

If you're staying...have you anything constructive you'd like to see happen ?

There are some top class whingers on this thread, i'm willing to bet that's all they are. Don't like something, try and change it....or get some perspective. You should be glad to be living in one of the richest countries in the world, with a system of government which affords you opportunity for freedom of speech and opportunity to do whatever you want with your miserable selves. You can come and go as you please. Most corrupt politicians ever...get a grip...get some perspective.
    Why is that stock answer "why don't you leave?" always posted.:confused:

I think you're being a bit harsh here, it's true that Ireland is a flawed country; terrible infrastructure, corrupt politicians etc.

However, it's a fun and friendly country and nowhere else can you use the phrase "it was great craic" without getting funny looks!
    Ere..the post is called What I hate about ireland.i'm sure ther's another one called what i love about Ireland.Mine is just to get some bloody annoying things about this kip off my chest.:mad:

Because it would seem to be the logical thing to do ?

Why do you always give the same answer ?

You seem to be suggesting that it is not an intelligent suggestion, in reality if you really hate where you live it is the only intelligent suggestion. If not, we're back at that the what are you gonna do about it loop ?

ps...wild exaggerations won't help you sound rational.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

Ere..the post is called What I hate about ireland.i'm sure ther's another one called what i love about Ireland.Mine is just to get some bloody annoying things about this kip off my chest.:mad:

Oh ok then, my bad! I hate these Eastern European fellas that come in and mouth off about how bad everything is then get all defensive when everyone else asks why they dont just leave. That ok for you?

Advertisement