Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I hate about Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

FunkZ wrote: »
    OP dude everywhere is full of aggressive drunks!

everywhere? Sure? You been everywhere?

Copenhagen?
    Stockhom?
    Berlin*?
    Cergy-Pontoise (small town north-west of Paris)?
    Haslemere, Surrey?
    Delhi?

All places I've spent a good bit of time and met hardly any drunks whatsoever!

*Berlin has a lot of drunks, but it's not 'full of them' and they generally aren't aggressive.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    everywhere? Sure? You been everywhere?

Copenhagen?
    Stockhom?
    Berlin*?
    Cergy-Pontoise (small town north-west of Paris)?
    Haslemere, Surrey?
    Delhi?

All places I've spent a good bit of time and met hardly any drunks whatsoever!

*Berlin has a lot of drunks, but it's not 'full of them' and they generally aren't aggressive.

Yes I have been everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

flanum wrote: »
    HELLO MODS!!!

i would like to see this person barred from this forum!! this is a blatant racist, incitred to hatred. the person outside the spar involved is actually not a "prick"! merely a victim of circumstances!

RATS OUT!!!

FunkZ wrote: »
    Yes I have been everywhere.

Bloody hell, that the best you can do? Proceution rests, your honour

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Having worked in a bar in Oslo, Norway I can officially confirm that the Irish are not the biggest drinkers in the world.

Although it may have something to do with the fact that work finishes at 4pm over there so they get another hour in. People drink so much they have crazy, draconian laws about it. One guy got run over outside the pub I worked, after he walked out of the pub he was so drunk.

Things I hate:
    Weather (why is it always, always windy and/or raining?)

Materialism. We generate more waste per person than anyone else in Europe. Stop trying to compensate for your low self-esteem by buying crap that's been shipped from the other side of the planet & made in a sweatshop! You'll still hate yourself in that tshirt

God-awful public transport (we drive our cars more than Americans do..)

Pathetic cycling facilities (and the taxi drivers don't help - yes I'm going over 15km/h and no you're not going to make that right turn without hitting me).

Government that won't take responsibility for anything, sucks up to the developers & people who have money & forget about those who don't. Inequality has actually increased since the 'Celtic Tiger'.(we have one of the lowest rates of social spending in Europe)

Things I like:

Irish people
    Irish sense of humour
    We can bend the rules a bit
    Irish rugby matches(well, not a great day to be saying it but...)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

taconnol wrote: »
    Having worked in a bar in Oslo, Norway I can officially confirm that the Irish are not the biggest drinkers in the world.

Although it may have something to do with the fact that work finishes at 4pm over there so they get another hour in. People drink so much they have crazy, draconian laws about it. One guy got run over outside the pub I worked, after he walked out of the pub he was so drunk.

So your experience of working in an IRISH bar in NORWAY has told you that irish people are the biggest drinkers in the world??? And the norwegians changed the drink laws because of the irish bar???

A bit sensational dont you think?
    wrote:

Materialism. We generate more waste per person than anyone else in Europe. Stop trying to compensate for your low self-esteem by buying crap that's been shipped from the other side of the planet & made in a sweatshop! You'll still hate yourself in that tshirt

Thats not true. We aint top of the list but are not at the bottom either. If you have EU figures that confirm otherwise please do provide them.
    wrote:
    Pathetic cycling facilities (and the taxi drivers don't help - yes I'm going over 15km/h and no you're not going to make that right turn without hitting me).

Down with cyclists. Too many cycle paths making traffic lanes smaller thus increasing risk of impact with drivers in other lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

faceman wrote: »
    So your experience of working in an IRISH bar in NORWAY has told you that irish people are the biggest drinkers in the world??? And the norwegians changed the drink laws because of the irish bar???

I think you picked it up wrong, the Norwegians actually drink an awful lot more than the Irish. They do tend to keep it to the weekend, but it's scary just how drunk they get. (and you will definitely find more Norwegians than Irish in the Dubliner in Oslo)
    The laws in place are for off licences, you can't buy alcohol after 6pm most days, they make drinking as expensive as possible to try and reduce the amount that people drink. Wines and Spirits can ONLY be bought in the vinmonopolet (a government owned 'monopoly').
    In Norway they are not even allowed to advertise alcohol on the telly!

faceman wrote: »
    Down with cyclists. Too many cycle paths making traffic lanes smaller thus increasing risk of impact with drivers in other lanes.

Do you own an oil company or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I think you picked it up wrong, the Norwegians actually drink an awful lot more than the Irish. They do tend to keep it to the weekend, but it's scary just how drunk they get. (and you will definitely find more Norwegians than Irish in the Dubliner in Oslo)
    The laws in place are for off licences, you can't buy alcohol after 6pm most days, they make drinking as expensive as possible to try and reduce the amount that people drink. Wines and Spirits can ONLY be bought in the vinmonopolet (a government owned 'monopoly').
    In Norway they are not even allowed to advertise alcohol on the telly!

My bad, might have interpreted wrong.
    Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Do you own an oil company or something?

almost!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

JavaBear wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

I agree Ireland is a kip. There is such a litter and attitude problem, it's horrible.
    I didn't say the OP was veering in a trolling direction because he posted that Ireland is a "kip", it was because he started posting gibberish. He has so much negative stuff to say about Ireland that it's totally logical to ask why he doesn't leave. I agree it's annoying when people post that stock reply to people who complain about certain aspects of life in Ireland, but the OP seems absolutely miserable here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I both miss and love Ireland, it has its problems of course but believe me it is a great place to come from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭indieJones

I love my country and it is my home but I can accept there are several serious flaws with it. Some of these I can hope to change while others are out of my hands.

1. The drink culture. I've traveled a lot and have to say Ireland is pretty bad for the drunk agro. I don't know where it comes from but there's not much I can do about it.

2. Waste/Materialism/Shallowness. To be expected when a country that has been poor for so long suddenly gets a bit of money. Think this will level out eventually since the economy isn't booming anymore.

3. The scanger kids. I'm from North Dublin and I have to say the problems are worse than were when I was growing up. Think people should be given some basic parenting lessons in school. Perhaps if some of these teenage mothers could have abortions there wouldn't be so many little street urchins (but that's whole other can of worms).

4. The infrastructure, public services and the idiots who govern it. Over the years I've lost all faith in Irish politicians. They seem to be a combination of inept, greedy and lazy idiots. Even if someone intelligent makes it into office it seems like the place is so corrupt, lazy and slow they would never make an impact. Again, I don't think I can do anything about this.

So why don't I leave? Because being Irish means I can tolerate any amount of hardship as long as I can moan and complain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Terry wrote: »
    Indeed.
    I'd really like to know where this wonderful paradise is that everyone thinks is far better than Ireland and has absolutely no social or political problems.
    Dubai :cool: But it's far from be better than Ireland. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

The Infrastructure is a bloody joke here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

Would our inability to speak our language (Irish) be on anyone's list?

Stollaire wrote: »
    Would our inability to speak our language (Irish) be on anyone's list?

Nope, but being insistant that it's a big issue would.

I hate having to listen to bandwagon jumping rugby fans everytime a tournement comes around, the same goes for Dubliners who all of a sudden are mad GAA heads anytime they do well in the all-ireland. I've nothing against genuine fans of either sport, i'm sure they actually fel the same way i do about these bandwagoners, sad fuc.kers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭indieJones

I hate having to listen to bandwagon jumping rugby fans everytime a tournement comes around, the same goes for Dubliners who all of a sudden are mad GAA heads anytime they do well in the all-ireland. I've nothing against genuine fans of either sport, i'm sure they actually fel the same way i do about these bandwagoners, sad fuc.kers.

People ask me why I hate rugby so much and explain that I'm from Dublin where rugby fan = high chance of being a pretentious nob (note to Dublin rugby fans, Ross O'Carroll Kelly is supposed to be a parody not a legitimate role model). Seems less of a problem outside of the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

galwayrush wrote: »
    too many people are gone too materialistic and we're breeding too many Scum.
    i agree!
    far too much sterotyping also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

RTE produced shows are so tacky and garrish. When I go to a european country I always laugh at how euro-trash their tv programmes are but were just as bad the late late show has some awful hilarious acts on it's pathetically humourous. Maybe if they gave these "stars" a pay cut they could pay for better production.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

lots
    I remember when the irish social scene was enjoyable and a time when alcohol consumption was not so morally unacceptable to the masses (govt) and when the Irish were "characters" brimming with an eccentric optimistic disposition despite the economic and climatic gloom. and witty too.

I could be anywhere now

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

I hate the crappy roads and crappier drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

berliner wrote: »
    You obviously haven't been to an A/E recently............Or doged the huge amount of drunks everywhere.QUOTE]

I have. I was treated within an hour.

My mate was taken in from the waiting room after 10 minutes not long ago.

I put my name down in the TCD Dental Hospital for some dental work in early December and had it done about 3 weeks ago, and that was only a fortnight after my first assesment. 70 odd euro for a procedure costing god knows how much had I went to any local dentist.

Neither me nor my mate are on VHI or medical card.

So yeah, basically one of the worst things about Ireland are people moaning about exaggerated problems.

As for the drink, I cant remember the last time I saw a drunken brawl in town, and Im out most weekends. Actually come to think of it there was a mass brawl in Coppers (:rolleyes:) one night I was dragged to the kip around September.

Though the country towns are a different story, its a ****ing warzone at night in all truth. And Coppers is an extension of them in fairness :) But really, its rare enough to see a fight in Dublin, down the country its hard not to get into one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

shane86 wrote: »

Though the country towns are a different story, its a ****ing warzone at night in all truth. And Coppers is an extension of them in fairness :) But really, its rare enough to see a fight in Dublin, down the country its hard not to get into one!

The likes of Manchester or Glasgow are worse I reckon(or at least, I know they are for murder rate). People in the UK moan about anti-social behaviour all the time. But, US cities are incredibly dangerous. We always find problems with where we live.
    As for the people mentioning friendly people, I agree. The Irish people I've met in the UK have all been pretty easy going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Affable wrote: »
    The likes of Manchester or Glasgow are worse I reckon(or at least, I know they are for murder rate). People in the UK moan about anti-social behaviour all the time. But, US cities are incredibly dangerous. We always find problems with where we live.
    As for the people mentioning friendly people, I agree. The Irish people I've met in the UK have all been pretty easy going.

In fairness Glasgow people are some of the soundest Ive ever met.

All completely nuts, and if you disrespected them they would be liable to stab you (one reason why none of the pubs or clubs in Glasgow serve drink in glass) but meh, a generally grand, lunatic bunch.

Nordies here are generally cool as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭xanthe

What I hate about Ireland at the moment, is the fact we all try to stick to the speed limit on our roads, while foreigners come over on holidays and speed past us all, with little or no consequences....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

What I hate about Ireland is: the pretetious class society that we are producing. They have no merit.

You obviously haven't been to an A/E recently............Or doged the huge amount of drunks everywhere.QUOTE]

I put my name down in the TCD Dental Hospital for some dental work in early December and had it done about 3 weeks ago, and that was only a fortnight after my first assesment. 70 odd euro for a procedure costing god knows how much had I went to any local dentist.

So yeah, basically one of the worst things about Ireland are people moaning about exaggerated problems.

As for the drink, I cant remember the last time I saw a drunken brawl in town, and Im out most weekends. Actually come to think of it there was a mass brawl in Coppers (:rolleyes:) one night I was dragged to the kip around September.

I agree with everything here, I find country towns a lot more dodgy than than Dublin city after a night out(considering you're not walking down Thomas st. or any of those kips) I went to Galway and Kilkenny for a weekends before and they were what i would imagine the Gaza strip to be like. In fairness i'm from a pretty rough part of Dublin so i've seen it all before but when i'm on a night out in Town it's once in the blue moon that i ever feel remotely threatened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

"Rare to see a fight in Dublin"....yeah right!!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Terry wrote: »
    Please note that ranting on a message board will not change anything.

That's where you're wrong.
    It wastes both your time and the time of eejits who read the rubbish posted.

It probably has a negative effect on your and the eejits' physical + mental health also.

Advertisement