Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I hate about Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

old threads

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Muggy Dev

It is often said,in reply to those who complain about Ireland,why not move to another country? Emigration has been a part of Irish life since the famine(and probably before) but the hiatus thanks to the celtic tiger is over now and once again many Irish people,over the coming five years in particular,will leave these shores.Many of our best and brightest will move abroad.Of those who stay,their employment prospects remain good.For everyone else....lets just say we are losing 1000 jobs a week,there is massive displacement in the workforce due to undercutting of labour costs(which were always too high to begin with),a 9 billion falloff in tax revenues compared to ´07 so public services,already poor,will deteriorate further,taxes will definitly rise....the next five years in Ireland will make the 70´s and 80´s look like a boom.

Be afraid.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

snyper wrote: »
    old threads
    And your contribution helped?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Muggy Dev wrote: »
    It is often said,in reply to those who complain about Ireland,why not move to another country? Emigration has been a part of Irish life since the famine(and probably before) but the hiatus thanks to the celtic tiger is over now and once again many Irish people,over the coming five years in particular,will leave these shores.Many of our best and brightest will move abroad.Of those who stay,their employment prospects remain good.For everyone else....lets just say we are losing 1000 jobs a week,there is massive displacement in the workforce due to undercutting of labour costs(which were always too high to begin with),a 9 billion falloff in tax revenues compared to ´07 so public services,already poor,will deteriorate further,taxes will definitly rise....the next five years in Ireland will make the 70´s and 80´s look like a boom.

Be afraid.......

Bull ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Bull ****.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Kovik

Teenage emo: Finding a home in unfulfilled adults on the internet since 1998.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭more tea vicar

All in all Ireland is a fairly fúcking good place to live compared to many countries.

People are friendly here, on the whole way more friendly than shíthole Britain without a shadow of a doubt. There are nice people in shíthole Britain, but a lot of fúckers.

Drive along in the country in Ireland and the other road users wave back. Fúck you don't get that in England. Neighbours are better in Ireland, chattier and friendly, more community focussed, and families are closer.

Okay, the prices of goods and quality of service in Ireland is overall fairly shíte, but there are bargains to be had if you search for them, or buy abroad and buck the trend, or get three quotes for any work you need doing, and slag off any crap service you witness or people offering crap service will carry on getting away with it.

Better still, set up a business in Ireland offering good service and decent prices, and you will do well. It is so easy to arrive on time to meetings, be pleasant with clients, offer a decent price and get repeat work. Its not rocket science. Because you are competing with a lot of dorty wee féckers, it is easy to get ahead in Ireland by doing the right thing.

Television is okay, there are all the Irish channels plus all the Sky channels, no problem. TV3 is shíte though.

Food is a bit pricey, but there is a lot of pricey stodgey shíte, so just eat a bit healthier and shop around for decent food.

The social welfare system in Ireland offers far more to anyone stuck in a rut, especially with jobs on the chop now. I don't know what the weekly dole euro rate is, but féck I think it is over 200 euros a week, I think it shíts all over Britain's dole set up. Plus it is easy to get on, and stay with for a while, once you look for work. The Brit system is run by fascists.

Garda over in Ireland are fúckin laid back, chilled out, cool mothers. In Britain they are mo fo fascist, scum. Fúckin traffic cops in Britain are out to get ye, slap a ticket on ye and get you banned.

All in all, Ireland 9/10

Britain, 6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

All in all Ireland is a fairly fúcking good place to live compared to many countries.

People are friendly here, on the whole way more friendly than shíthole Britain without a shadow of a doubt. There are nice people in shíthole Britain, but a lot of fúckers.

Drive along in the country in Ireland and the other road users wave back. Fúck you don't get that in England. Neighbours are better in Ireland, chattier and friendly, more community focussed, and families are closer.

Okay, the prices of goods and quality of service in Ireland is overall fairly shíte, but there are bargains to be had if you search for them, or buy abroad and buck the trend, or get three quotes for any work you need doing, and slag off any crap service you witness or people offering crap service will carry on getting away with it.

Better still, set up a business in Ireland offering good service and decent prices, and you will do well. It is so easy to arrive on time to meetings, be pleasant with clients, offer a decent price and get repeat work. Its not rocket science. Because you are competing with a lot of dorty wee féckers, it is easy to get ahead in Ireland by doing the right thing.

Television is okay, there are all the Irish channels plus all the Sky channels, no problem. TV3 is shíte though.

Food is a bit pricey, but there is a lot of pricey stodgey shíte, so just eat a bit healthier and shop around for decent food.

The social welfare system in Ireland offers far more to anyone stuck in a rut, especially with jobs on the chop now. I don't know what the weekly dole euro rate is, but féck I think it is over 200 euros a week, I think it shíts all over Britain's dole set up. Plus it is easy to get on, and stay with for a while, once you look for work. The Brit system is run by fascists.

Garda over in Ireland are fúckin laid back, chilled out, cool mothers. In Britain they are mo fo fascist, scum. Fúckin traffic cops in Britain are out to get ye, slap a ticket on ye and get you banned.

All in all, Ireland 9/10

Britain, 6/10

Ireland is better than "most countries" or "Britain"...?

What about Germnay...?
    - the younger people are far friendlier. Not once have I been told to **** off and learn the language when my German lets my down
    - prices waaaaaaay cheaper. Everywhere. Period. I'm about to move into a 5m high incredibly bright 24m2 flat, furnished, all bills (inlcuding bband) paid, 395€ a month. Didn't even need to shop around. Also, today I ate 2 8inch pizzas and a half-liter of beer. Got change from a tenner.
    - better food
    - better service
    - tram/metro/busses that are never a minute late AND you can buy ONE ticket that covers them all (not THERE'S a novel idea!!)
    - It was 29 degrees C here today
    - I spent it at the lake watching gorgeous topless (and two naked) 20something women

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Germany sounds good.We only think about of english speaking countries forgetting there's a big world out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Germany is awsome. There's nothing better than paying €1,50 for a beer in pub! :)

• Advertisement

berliner wrote: »
    Germany sounds good.We only think about of english speaking countries forgetting there's a big world out there.

Oh yeah - I mean, I'd take Ireland over england any day. But that's more a reflection on the UK than us. The cotinent is just far more varied and healtier than Ireland.

Edit: Hang on... "Berliner"...?

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Germany is awsome. There's nothing better than paying €1,50 for a beer in pub! :)
    Too bad that it's the product of the German workforce earning a fraction of what we do. ;)

Big fan of Germany, but I reject any fantasy that "X part of Europe is friendlier and more varied and more diverse" and other such nebulous claims. I've encountered an incredible degree of racism primarily to Eastern Europeans in Germany and the Netherlands and while there's a much more tangible culture of homosexuality and liberal sexual expression, the extreme right wing antithesis is also profoundly visible and more socially acceptable.

Kovik wrote: »
    Too bad that it's the product of the German workforce earning a fraction of what we do. ;)

Big fan of Germany, but I reject any fantasy that "X part of Europe is friendlier and more varied and more diverse" and other such nebulous claims. I've encountered an incredible degree of racism primarily to Eastern Europeans in Germany and the Netherlands and while there's a much more tangible culture of homosexuality and liberal sexual expression, the extreme right wing antithesis is also profoundly visible and more socially acceptable.

Not judging by the amount of cars drivin around here with German AND turkish flags on them...

Fiar comment re: Holland - haven't been there. But in terms of Sandanaiva and my experiences in Germany, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Not judging by the amount of cars drivin around here with German AND turkish flags on them...
    Or the taxi's driving around with both, so as not to lose customers leading up to Wednesday!
    I've lived in Germany since September, I have never seen one fight (except for the May Day riots, but thats something totally different).
    As most people have said the atmosphere is way more relaxed, people are a lot friendlier, things are a lot cheaper, bars are open later, public transport is unreal(price, standard and coverage). Thinking about the fact that I have to go back to live in Maynooth next year depresses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Scangers...They can’t Be Killed With Conventional Weapons, i was thinking along the lines of extermination.

As I said, both sides tend to be very visible. However, the articulation of xenophobic anti-immigration views are not simply relegated to parties the ilk of UKIP and are, in my experience, found very tangibly in major party rhetoric and amongst a very wide sector of the public.

It's also worth noting that Germany is the leading voice in opposition to Turkish EU membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

What I hate about Ireland: moanbags like the OP

What I like about Ireland: when people who moan about the place leave!

Kovik wrote: »
    As I said, both sides tend to be very visible. However, the articulation of xenophobic anti-immigration views are not simply relegated to parties the ilk of UKIP and are, in my experience, found very tangibly in major party rhetoric and amongst a very wide sector of the public.

It's also worth noting that Germany is the leading voice in opposition to Turkish EU membership.

I tend not to judge a people by their governments: they usually have vastly different. And I think most governments have some fringe rigth-wing xenophobic element.

Godten Tag Cool Cm... Vie kommst du nach Deutschland? Arbeit uder studiere uder die dammens....!?

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Or the taxi's driving around with both, so as not to lose customers leading up to Wednesday!
    I've lived in Germany since September, I have never seen one fight (except for the May Day riots, but thats something totally different).
    As most people have said the atmosphere is way more relaxed, people are a lot friendlier, things are a lot cheaper, bars are open later, public transport is unreal(price, standard and coverage). Thinking about the fact that I have to go back to live in Maynooth next year depresses me.
    I saw some three fights within a week and a half of staying in Berlin during the film festival in February. Also, saw a bunch of Spanish mates I was hanging out with forcibly ejected from several clubs (after paying in) for seemingly no reason (though they did insist on hitting those industrial clubs).

This is all anecdotal, granted. I'll reiterate that I do love Berlin an awful lot, but it's far too... bipolar for me to settle there full time I think. Just my taste. :)

The train system is bloody unreal though. I'm still on a semi since my last trip.

Godten Tag Cool Cm... Vie kommst du nach Deutschland? Arbeit uder studiere uder die dammens....!?
    I'll give you this... die dammens sind... um... deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

What I hate about Ireland: moanbags like the OP

What I like about Ireland: when people who moan about the place leave!

So you like everything about Ireland? You'd better because if you don't i really think you should leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

So you like everything about Ireland? You'd better because if you don't i really think you should leave.

Not liking something does not a moanbag make.
    Not liking most things = moanbag

It's really quite simple

Just looked at the OP's opening post, not the most articulate of arguements but even still it's good to have a rant about Ireland because there's a lot too moan about, deep down most of us love it though that's why we stay here i suppose.

A thing which really pisses me off about peoples attitude here is when somebody acts a little differently or does something out of the ordinary in there lives and all the **** that people give them because of it. It basically boils down to good ol Irish begrudgery.

Also MissHoneyBun, excelent use of the word moanbag haven't heard that in years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

When the culchies and dubs for that matter, interupt the last line of Amhrán na bhFiann by shouting go on kerry or whoever they support in croker.

The Irish national anthem in general pisses me off, ruined by w@nkers in pubs.

The Italian anthem, now there's a tune!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Am I the only person who hates that "Ireland, Ireland" nonsense song that they play in rugby games? I also hate the fields of athenry, worst song ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

The Irish national anthem in general pisses me off, ruined by w@nkers in pubs.

The Italian anthem, now there's a tune!!!
    How about new Australian one? :cool:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oVKngijexnw

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

berliner wrote: »
    It's a rip off.At night it's full of aggressive drunks.It's exactly the same as england.....i could go on and on....

So do something about it man, write to your council, become a vigilante who stalks the night or just move to somewhere you think has no social problems at all...which would be, where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Am I the only person who hates that "Ireland, Ireland" nonsense song that they play in rugby games? I also hate the fields of athenry, worst song ever.

I like that Ireland, Ireland song, its a song for united Ireland

But yeah, fields of ****ing athenry, worst. song. ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Muggy Dev

Bull ****.

My post was written nine days before today´s ERSI report.

Still think it´s bull Angryman???

Advertisement