Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanting to Learn the Violin

• 01-03-2008 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hey folks,

For the longest time I have harbored aspirations of learning an instrument - I've always wanted to learn the Violin no less. I'm looking into acquiring my first violin, but unforuntately, I am bereft of any advice from friends, etc - nobody I know plays an instrument.

Does anyone have any tips with regards selecting the right violin for a beginner? I'm considering dropping into Waltons and checking what they have and how this all pans out.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

well i cant help you much as i never learned how to play mine (can already play guitar so couldnt handle going back to being a beginner again!) but if you think the waltons ones are too expensive ive a nice one just hangin up on my wall that ill sell cheap, cant sell anything on this site so PM me if you want any details!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

arent you meant to start really young for the violin and if your older you start the viola

not sure but thats what my mate did *shrugs*

[AARGH 3 stars *pelvic thrust*]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

I wasn't aware that there was a starting age for these things - I presumed that sufficient practice would lead to improvement. I should point out that I'm not aiming to join some orchestra or such - its purely for my own enjoyment (and to subject my enemies to my acoustic armageddon).

Anyone else have any thoughts on the violin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Sonderval wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that there was a starting age for these things - I presumed that sufficient practice would lead to improvement. I should point out that I'm not aiming to join some orchestra or such - its purely for my own enjoyment (and to subject my enemies to my acoustic armageddon).

Anyone else have any thoughts on the violin?

no no no its something to do with the growth of your hands :o theres no starting age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I bought a violin before christmas. I've been playing guitar over 10 years and always wanted to try the violin.

I got a full size Valencia violin which was around 110 or 120 euro and included a case, bow and resun. Knowing bare basics that most people feel stupid for asking about are essential. And people that laugh at you for asking are as**oles.

You need a chin rest AND a shoulder rest or else it becomes quite uncomfortable. The bow has to be taut when playing and loosened when not playing. Resun needs to be added to the bow each time before playing. I think it adds extra friction to the bow to get the note out of the strings.

I've noticed it's a bit sore on the wrist when fretting and being able to differentiate between pitches and knowing when you're off pitch is something you need to know or learn quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

I don't think there's an age at which you start but there's definitely an optimum age which is about 6!

I have just started violin but I'm a guitar player and a mandolin player so that helps me on pitch and roughly where my fingers should be. However, there are a few good resources online which if you read through them, they'll point you towards good habits to engage with and bad habits to avoid, which should be a start.

SEARCH:1" rel="nofollow">http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Violin-Viola-and-Cello-Care-tips-and-tricks_W0QQugidZ10000000000790218?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:SEARCH:1

http://www.westcountryviolins.com/web_pages/violin.htm

http://www.theviolinsite.com/violin_bows/index.html

Start there and from the home pages of the above you should be able to surf your way to being yet another Yehudi!

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Fad wrote: »
    no no no its something to do with the growth of your hands :o theres no starting age
    It's probably because the viola is bigger, so little kids would find it harder to play. An adult shouldn't have any difficulty playing a violin, though, if you look at any professional violinists. : p
    When I was starting the violin, maybe three years in (would have been 10 so) my violin teacher recommended I switch to viola because if you ever want to join an orchestra, violas are in much higher demand. Stuck with the violin, though. (Violas sound lovely, but I prefer cellos for the low range.)

Personally I'd advise getting a teacher if only for the very beginning, to teach you how to hold it properly/have a correct bow hold. It's easiest to explain in person, and if you get it wrong and develop a habit it'll cause problems later... (I had one teacher for about 5 years, when I switched teacher after that I had to unlearn all the bad habits I'd picked up with her, put me back big time.)
    That said, if the way you play "works" for you, it can't be called wrong. Problem is that when you're just a beginner, you can't know that your method is going to hold out the long haul (the angle of your left wrist might be impairing your dexterity on the fingerboard, for example. My problem was that my bow hold was quite loose and I've never had enough bow control.. I blame being a lefty playing right handed on this, but it's just a habit I've developed of only holding on with two fingers and a thumb. It means I can be pretty sloppy with the bow, hitting other strings etc., doesn't make it any easier!)

Oops, bit of a ramble. I wish you luck anyway, the violin is a lovely instrument once you break it in! As far as buying one goes, don't go splashing out thousands until you know it's worth it. A 100 euro violin is never going to sound fantastic, but it's grand for learning on.
    And yeah, shoulder rest/chin rest vital, unless you're going for hardcore trad style violin.

Advertisement