Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World of goo

Options
  • 01-03-2008 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Available here. Anyone else tried it yet?

It's really very clever, it's just like tower of goo from a mechanical standpoint, it feels very similar anyway, only you don't just have to build a tower straight up into the air. You have to direct the goo balls to a pipe. Each level has an objective, in a structure you have to build to get the goo balls to said pip, and an amount of goo balls that you have to get there. It gets challenging very fast too. There have been quite a few moments where I was inches away from finishing a level only for the structure to lose stability, leaving me frantically trying to counter...and thankfully you can wind back balls, reverse time a bit, so if you **** up big time, you can make up for it just by clicking on a little thingie and you're gone back a few seconds, saved from pulling your own teeth in anger.

The styling for the game is fantastic, Especially the visuals. And it's as charming as ever, I'm in nostalgic giggly spasms here, heading the little guys squeal in excitement the way they do when you attach them to the structure.

The original is available over on Experimental Gameplay, I don't think I could quite do the original any justice with words...

I'm really loving it so far, well worth my measley 13 euro.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you like free games that rock then head over to this site,

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/index_e.html

Some of the best shooters out there, especially Noiz2sa and rRootage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The game is soaking up all of my freetime. I just can't stop playing it.

Cute, charming and new !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Fionnanc

Won't be able to get it on steam in Europe until 2009. Can buy a direct download from the 2dboy website, but I am experiencing technical difficulties. I think their server is dwon due to high demand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

it's a very good game. At first I thought it was just another elefunk (terrible, terrible game) but it does get quite inventive the further you progress. Each new level poses new challenges that have to be solved in completely different ways. Some levels test your ability to build large structures, others test your ability to think laterally.

If you liked the flash game "the fantastic contraption" you'll absolutely love this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Fionnanc wrote: »
    Won't be able to get it on steam in Europe until 2009. Can buy a direct download from the 2dboy website, but I am experiencing technical difficulties. I think their server is dwon due to high demand

It was available for a short time on steam for EU then taken down. Should have grabbed it when i had the chance. I'll wait to Feb/march so i can add it to my steam account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

looks good, downloading now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

class awl game really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

A lovely gem of a game. Finished it awhile ago and I'm trying to build the highest tower possible.... very frustrating! :pac:

The Gnome wrote: »
    A lovely gem of a game. Finished it awhile ago and I'm trying to build the highest tower possible.... very frustrating! :pac:

Yeah its a very short game. Completed it under 5 hours, although I did play it on the PC, I guess if you are playing it on the Wii it might be harder to be as accurate when placing your goo balls.

Hopefully there will be an expansion out for it, as it felt like a type of goo ball was introduced only to be never used again and replaced by other types of goo balls.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i seriously recommend this game. thankfully i got it on steam before it was removed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Got this. Feb fun. Weird, but great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

yes it's a great game, will purchase it when its out on steam

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

MooseJam wrote: »
    yes it's a great game, will purchase it when its out on steam

It's out on Steam since Friday ;)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22000/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Nice one, buying it now... The demo was unbelievably goo-d

If anybody wants to change the resolution, go into your steam folder, then steamapps\common\world of goo\properties
    Edit config.txt here and change the resolution. The default is 800x600 which looked like crap on my laptop, looks nice at the native res of 1280x800

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This is unbelievable.

From the guys who made one of the most commercially sucessful indie games last year, have filed for bankruptcy

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/world-of-goo-publisher-brighter-minds-media-goes-bankrupt/?biz=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

This is unbelievable.

From the guys who made published one of the most commercially sucessful indie games last year, have filed for bankruptcy

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/world-of-goo-publisher-brighter-minds-media-goes-bankrupt/?biz=1

Edited it there for you ;)

it was also one of the most pirated games of last year.
    Piracy does hurt the industry, who'd have guessed.

Doodee wrote: »
    it was also one of the most pirated games of last year.
    Piracy does hurt the industry, who'd have guessed.

especially when you release a game that, even though it was innovative, looks like a glorified flash game.

I have a friend in work that ALWAYS buys games on principle. He was planning on buying World of Goo, but another guy in work downloaded it and completed it over his lunch break. After seeing how short the game was and how basic it looked, he decided to put his money towards a game he'd get more life out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

L31mr0d wrote: »
    but another guy in work downloaded it and completed it over his lunch break.

That must have been a really long lunch break. I'd estimate there's at least 40 levels which would start at 5 mins each to finish and become a lot longer as you progress.

whitetrash wrote: »
    That must have been a really long lunch break. I'd estimate there's at least 40 levels which would start at 5 mins each to finish and become a lot longer as you progress.

well... it kinda spilled over into work hours but it was a slow day :D

Don't get me wrong, I think they created an excellent game, but they should of released it as a flash game that you pay for to get extra content, like the fantastic contraption

• Registered Users Posts: 83,279 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The original is available over on Experimental Gameplay, I don't think I could quite do the original any justice with words...

I'm really loving it so far, well worth my measley 13 euro.
    I thought i recognized it from somewhere, that was driving me nuts. Theres a lot of great stuff on EGP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Don't get me wrong, I think they created an excellent game, but they should of released it as a flash game that you pay for to get extra content, like the fantastic contraption

I don't think these guys are at all "about" the money, or even out to gain success, this seems like a genuine labour of love. And it's not like it's been completely unsuccessful for them. If they were targeting a more casual gamer market, yeah the approach you mentioned would have them swimming in money right now no doubt, but their styling and rather hilarious parodic social commentary would have gone mostly unappreciated with the market in question.

Plus, flash is a pile of poo to work with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I really don't think this should have been a flash game. People seem to be reluctant to pay for 2d games these days, same complaints were made when Braid was retailed for 12 euro or whatever it was. But as pointed out above, this was a monster task undertaken by TWO people (plus one or two others helping with the programming). I was more than happy to pay them for the game, as it is the most fun I've had playing a game in quite some time: rarely does something so entertaining, imaginative and innovative come along. And I don't get the shortness issue at all: I've been taking my time, playing a few puzzles a day and its lasted a good week or two (on the second last epilogue level now). For a 5 hour minimum game (more if you want to go for the OCD / spend time messing around with the tower) this is a bargain: plenty of full price games provide around the same playtime. Few of the puzzles are repeated, and never becomes repetitive to just add needless length. A flash game would limit the potential, and as said above the deliciously weird comedy and satire would probably fall by the wayside (Sign Painter's bizarre ramblings always provide a giggle). And I don't see how you could call the design 'basic': for a game developed by such a tiny team, it is very interesting visually, the style suits it perfectly, and some of the graphics are brilliantly playful
    The fourth '3D' world in particular

It is a huge shame that the game has been pirated so much, especially when the developers have been extremely generous (no DRM etc...) with the way they distributed it. But I still imagine they've made a fair bit of profit, and I'd rather pay them fifteen euro to continue to make innovative and fun games than hand over 60 lids for an equal length game with higher production values but none of the charm, innovation or ambition.

Advertisement