Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

plasterboard finishing

• 01-03-2008 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

Does anybody have any experience of the suitability of taped and jointed finishing of plasterboard for domestic applications? I am aware that this finish is common in the commercial sector, but that the skimmed finish is still prevalent in the domestic sector. Is this due to a superior product with a skimmed finish or just a case of sticking with what people know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

tipperary wrote: »
    Does anybody have any experience of the suitability of taped and jointed finishing of plasterboard for domestic applications? I am aware that this finish is common in the commercial sector, but that the skimmed finish is still prevalent in the domestic sector. Is this due to a superior product with a skimmed finish or just a case of sticking with what people know?

there is definitely a better finish from skim coat and a good plasterer.

After working in New York for a few years, I noticed that clients are happy with taped joints in there homes. . It is very popular over there.

Irish home are better built and standards are higher .. So we stick with plaster

It is very noticeable to me, I don't like the taped board finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

tipperary wrote: »

The +'s for the plaster finish include the fact that if u decided to wallpaper u can always take it off, not really possible on taped and filled.

The +'s on the taped and filled iinclude that the surface is slightly warmer to the touch.

I always prefer the plastered finish but not always easy to get a good plasterer for a small job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

gsxr1 wrote: »
    With a good plaster maybe, But this is down to the fact that there are few people who are good at taped finished. We only use it for quick jobs, if it was common we would be far better at it.
    After working in New York for a few years, I noticed that clients are happy with taped joints in there homes. . It is very popular over there.
    Thats because it is common in other parts of the world, we are much better at it than we are.
    Irish home are better built and standards are higher .. So we stick with plaster
    I had a little giggle at this one. Standard higher? Than were exactly.
    As I said, we only use it for quick out of sight areas, so no effort is ever put in. The result doesn't look as good.
    But if we were to do it right the result would be much closer. A certain 5 star hotel in the country has filled joint finish, the whole place is very high spec. They were done by sub-contracters from Germany (I think). There standard of work was far better and the results were the same. Nobody would notice if they stayed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Mellor wrote: »
    With a good plaster maybe, But this is down to the fact that there are few people who are good at taped finished. We only use it for quick jobs, if it was common we would be far better at it.

Thats because it is common in other parts of the world, we are much better at it than we are.

I had a little giggle at this one. Standard higher? Than were exactly.

As I said, we only use it for quick out of sight areas, so no effort is ever put in. The result doesn't look as good.
    But if we were to do it right the result would be much closer. A certain 5 star hotel in the country has filled joint finish, the whole place is very high spec. They were done by sub-contracters from Germany (I think). There standard of work was far better and the results were the same. Nobody would notice if they stayed here.

ohh. ya really picked me apart there. lol.

Spent a load of time over there . I served my time there also.

I always believed our brick and block houses to be more sound than there metal and wooden house in the states. Im sure there structure is sound but its my preference to and a proper block wall on my house. Dont ask me why

New york seems to be built with metal studding aluminium cladding and Sheetrock.

For sure the Mexicans who taped for us in NY where superb. But I just like the traditional Irish approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think alot of the reason american construction is the way it is, is down to climate. I don't paticular like it either. But I was thinking along more along the lines of other european countires, where they build more similar to us.

I'd rather a good tape job over a bad (or even average on some sites) skim finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

gsxr1 wrote: »

I fully agree.

The workmanship is comparable, but the houses dont hold their age as well as Irish houses. Ive seen 50 year old houses in America that look in Ruins. Taimber siding was common years ago, but they have a limited life span.

Advertisement