Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NVIDIA's shady trick to boost the GeForce 9600GT

Options
  • 01-03-2008 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

How NVIDIA made the 9600 GT gain extra performance .. secretly
    linky

As I've got an Intel mobo I'll just increase the pci-e frequency like i've always done, but it does give biased results when compares to Ati on nvidia chipsets which all reviews are run on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Anyone know if this will be true for every other 9xxx nvidia card? Or is it just enabled on the 9600GT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

AFAIK its only the 9600gt thats been affected by this, been a few threads bout it on XS, i got tired of readin thru the nvidia fanboy arguments,
    Its not a feature of the gpu, its LinkBoost (they call it this, i call it stealth oc'in), a feature of the mobo bios. Its disabled in newer bioses but was a feature on certain bioses for the 680i.

I'm quoting this from the other closed thread, want your opinion:
    An interesting situation developing ATM, Intel have been refusing Nvidia a licence to produce chipsets for their chips, consequence of this being no more nvidia motherboards, the 790i could be the last one, which leads to no more Sli as Nvidia wont allow it on any other chipset but theirs.

Intel are holding out and won't budge on this and serves Nvidia right for their own business tactics. It could eventually lead to Nvidia having no choice but to allow Sli on other chipsets in order to allow Sli to continue as a technology.

Would be amazing for us consumers, Sli on an Intel chipset motherboard. ATM this is only blocked at driver level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah I seen that. IMO, if nvidia caves, it will see a huge decrease in its sales of its own chipset motherboards. The nforce boards are crap, they run hot, have a flaky NIC and don't handle RAID well. The only reason I went with my NF4 before and now my 680i was for SLI support should I ever need it.

An intel board that could offer both SLI and Crossfire support would destroy not only nvidia chipsets but a lot of the interest in AMD mobos as well. Even though i'd like to see it I don't think it will be good for the consumer if intel gets such a lead in the cpu and motherboard market.

Advertisement