Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with Son trying to potty train him

Options
  • 01-03-2008 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭

Right first off He is 3 and a half ! I have tried quite a few times and got him different types of pottys still no luck with him i never had a problem with my older daughter she took to the potty overnight plus my younger daughter seems to have more of a grasp of it i pop her on it and she does her stuff and she has only passed her 2nd birthday!! Is it some kind of boy thing or what am i doing wrong !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Well boys are definitely later-both my lads were three and a half before they were trained. The two girls were just over two! Springtime seems to be a good time to try but you will have to give it time. If the little lad is progressing well in every other way then I would not be too concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

As a mum of 2 boys and a childminder who's toilet trained lots of toddlers, boys are generally older when they're toilet trained.

First thing you need to do is stop comparing him to your daughters. Choose a time that's suitable for both you and him to try training him.

The type potty you use makes a big difference especially with boys who may not like their testicles dangling into and touching a cold potty if you get my drift. As your son is 3 and a half it might be easier to get him to stand and pee into the toilet, maybe appeal to his inner male and put bits of tissue in the toilet and get him to do a bit of target practise.

My older boy was 3 and a half before he was trained, no problem weeing but he was afraid of pooing so would do it in his pants. :eek:
    We got the potty that is like a seat with a base and handles etc and can be converted into a step and the lidded bit can fit into the seat of the toilet. It worked a treat. My younger boy trained himself in a day when he was just gone 2 and 2 months which was a pleasant shock.

I've seen a lot of parents claim their child is toilet trained when they're not. The parents will keep reminding the child to go to the toilet/potty, the child hasn't learnt to recognise when they need to go and they have accidents. This is nothing more than toilet timing.

The last thing you want is your child to end up anal retentive, Adolf Hitler being one of the worlds most well known anal retentives. :(

I've also found it's better to get a child to wear underwear and not pull-ups as wet cold fabric is more uncomfortable that absorbant pull-ups so they'll be more aware.

So yeah to answer your question boys are different. Maybe if you haven't much on over the easter it could be a good time to try again, by the sounds of it you could possibly end up training his younger sister at the same time now that would be a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

My son is 4 in April and i'm in exactly the same boat. Ive tried everything. So frustrating. His younger sister is is trained since she was 2!

Brought him to a peadiatrition and he has put him on movicol, and suppositories for pain as he thinks he's "afraid" to go. Its not having any impact on the situation 5 months later. Really beginning to think he will just do it when he's good and ready.

Best of luck OP if you find a solution will you let me know? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lurvely

My daughters nearly 20 months now & id really be considering potty training her only she doesnt have a good grasp on words, she only says about 6 words so it would be toilet timing not training. In other aspects shes ready though, shed get the nappies for me & all when she needs changed so i dont think it would take her too long to catch on but i dont wanna try too soon or rush her. Dont worry about your wee boy, all children are different..dont be too hard or pushy on him though cause he might see it as a bad thing then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Lizzykins wrote: »
    Well boys are definitely later-both my lads were three and a half before they were trained. The two girls were just over two! Springtime seems to be a good time to try but you will have to give it time. If the little lad is progressing well in every other way then I would not be too concerned.
    I wish that was the case in my house. My son was trained at 2-and-a-half, but my daughter is now 5 and still wearing a nappy at night.
    It really depends on the child.
    If he is developing normally in every other way I wouldn't worry.

• Advertisement

A lot of children are not trained at night and the PHN's don't normally intervene before a child is 7 or 8 years old at the earliest. It is also more common that a lot of parents will admit.

Why else are there dry nights for children aged 10 - 15 years of age? Whoever makes them are generally only concerned with profit and they wouldn't make them if it wasn't profitable or if there wasn't a demand for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

OP,

Has he shown any sign of wanting to train? Unless he's showing an interest then I'd be inclined to wait as the training will be much faster (& cleaner!) if they want to do it. I think boys do tend to train later, tho my son self trained at 26months! :eek: He was knocking on the bathroom door shouting "I go pee-pee" & taking off his nappy at every opportunity.

You could try & get him thinking about training by leaving the nappy off him for a couple of hrs a day & maybe get those steps up to the toilet if he doesn't like the potty? Make sure you don't get angry if he has an accident or doesn't seem to be getting it as any negative association will just make him even less inclined to train. Keep it fun, keep offering treats for any pee/poo done (choc buttons worked here!) & eventually things will just click.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

thanks a millon for the replys for the last 2 days i've been trying really hard with him like yesterday it was like training a puppy i basically followed him around with a mop and changed his pants 5 times:eek: today was a lot better he got the hang of standing up a peeing and we had a great time encouraging him and clapping hands for him and kind of weired he does not pee during the night so fingers crossed we are on the right road! Thanks again

Have you tried star charts? They're on offer in Lidl or Aldi at the moment

Advertisement