Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dealing with fatigue...

Options
  • 01-03-2008 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Had a long drive the other day and as has happened before, I felt myself getting fatigue, having to shake my head, roll down the window, stop off, take a break etc, but it kept coming back once I was back on the road for a bit.

Any suggestions on good ways to deal with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

cormie wrote: »
    Had a long drive the other day and as has happened before, I felt myself getting fatigue, having to shake my head, roll down the window, stop off, take a break etc, but it kept coming back once I was back on the road for a bit.

Redbull for a start!!! Happened to me a while ago and i fighted it ,but wouldn't do it again. Drank 3 redbulls and couldn't sleep when i got home!! Best is to pull in somewhere safe and get 20minutes kip i'd say or take a few minutes in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Were you 'fatigued' before you set off?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The sensible and correct thing to do is to pull over and have a micro-nap.

Personally, I can't sleep on demand or anything close to it. You're either pulling over for the night or pushing on.

At the same time, I have done 16 hours of a day behind the wheel a few times before. Pro Plus, Red Bull and a nice coffee are all your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

used to drive home from college in Belfast to Letterkenny, i'd be nackered leaving college at about 7 or 8pm but a can of redbull before i leave would keep me wide awake the whole way home and then for about 4 hours afterwards.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Power Nap for 15 to 30 minutes.
    Pull over somewhere safe, heater on, radio off, Seat reclined, Alarm set.
    * Cheapest
    * Most effective
    * Healthiest
    * No Caffeine side affects - ie Insomnia later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get a tacho fitted. Start a new thread for this though. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

pulling over for 20-30 mins, even if you don't sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Happened me a lot when driving in the UK (Used to put up about 600 miles a session)

I can't just 'go to sleep', impossible for me

Only way I found to survive was pull over at every service stop and go for a walk, I don't drink coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Coke or coffee.Coke probably easier to carry and you don't have to find a coffe shop/pub. Carry a six pack of coke in car. I do. Or you can get the tesco version of red bull for around 2.90 for a 6 pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you're lucky enough able to sleep on demand (which I certainly can't) then get a coffee, set your alarm for 20 minutes, knock it back and go to sleep. The caffeine takes about 15 minutes to kick in so if you can go to sleep you get the benefit of the two at once.

Try to avoid getting stuck in processions of traffic moving slightly too slow. These will just make you feel worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

If you have air con or even better, climate, set it to low and turn it up. Works for me!

Horrible and dangerous feeling to have while driving. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I wouldn't touch coke, redbull or their tesco equivalents I'm afraid and I'd prefer not to touch coffee either.

The best thing I've found is nibbling on nuts or an apple, but you can only nibble so much in an 8 hour drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Tesco Kick ftw, that stuff is magical. Drink in moderation or you might never sleep again though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

All of those are short term measures. The caffeine, etc. probably gives you a false sense of alertness.

The only solution is proper food and proper rest. Minimum 3 hours.

Advertisement