Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence applications

Options
  • 01-03-2008 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

just to put my two cents worth on the issue of granting licences,
    speaking from personal experience,
    i applied for my first shotgun licence last year, in ireland and it took only five weeks to come from the application being put in, and i only had a couple of letters from local farmers,
    for my second one it only took three weeks , i only showed my new gunclub card and my wildfowling licence,
    maybe i was lucky but i found the local garda both helpfull and although the guy at the front desk didnot know how to fill it in he promidsed to send it off ASAP, and that was the second one.

just wanted to show the other side and say that it is not always a pain in the rear, to get your licence.
    it would be good for some of us to post the successes,
    anyone else had similar experiences

;)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Well, I met the local Sergeant in charge of firearms licensing on Wednesday. She was friendly and helpful enough and said she'd expect to get the license back in around 2 weeks. Based on the horror stories from here I won't be surprised if it takes much longer so I won't hold my breath but I've been happy the way they've treated me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

For the most part I have found my local Gardai very helpful longest I waited was 8 weeks shortest 2 weeks for the rifle. Anytime I change shotguns nip in and no hassel. If he's not there he rings back.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This thread may be of interest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 expressway

My dad and I applied for our first rifles on Monday, the Garda was helpful with the applications and so I'm hopeful things will come through within a month or so. But we'll see.

It'll be interesting since my dad has had a shotgun for years, to see if the applications are processed any differently. This rifle (CZ 452) will be my first firearm and I can't wait to get up to the range and zero it :)

Yes I've caught the bug!

I have to say since my first trip up to a range last year, I've been constantly impressed by how helpful and professional everyone involved with the sport is and this forum, for the most part, reflects that.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

john mcvey wrote: »
    just to put my two cents worth on the issue of granting licences,
    speaking from personal experience,
    i applied for my first shotgun licence last year, in ireland and it took only five weeks to come from the application being put in, and i only had a couple of letters from local farmers,
    for my second one it only took three weeks , i only showed my new gunclub card and my wildfowling licence,
    maybe i was lucky but i found the local garda both helpfull and although the guy at the front desk didnot know how to fill it in he promidsed to send it off ASAP, and that was the second one.

just wanted to show the other side and say that it is not always a pain in the rear, to get your licence.
    it would be good for some of us to post the successes,
    anyone else had similar experiences

;)

Try applying for a .308 next..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

expressway wrote: »
    My dad and I applied for our first rifles on Monday, the Garda was helpful with the applications and so I'm hopeful things will come through within a month or so. But we'll see.

It'll be interesting since my dad has had a shotgun for years, to see if the applications are processed any differently. This rifle (CZ 452) will be my first firearm and I can't wait to get up to the range and zero it :)

Yes I've caught the bug!

I have to say since my first trip up to a range last year, I've been constantly impressed by how helpful and professional everyone involved with the sport is and this forum, for the most part, reflects that.
    Most likely your dads applicatio nwill go through quicker, as he already has some boxes ticked, headstart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

expressway wrote: »

Yes I've caught the bug!

Unless you get very lucky you will be at least 6 weeks id say!!
    First rifle is always a pain in the ass!
    From what the gaurds say all licences come back in three weeks, but dont be fooled it wont! Espically a rifle for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Unless you get very lucky you will be at least 6 weeks id say!!
    First rifle is always a pain in the ass!
    From what the gaurds say all licences come back in three weeks, but dont be fooled it wont! Espically a rifle for some reason!

My rifle application went through finest and without
    any questions although it took about 4-5 weeks. When I applied for my Shotgun cert I applied on Jan 8th and I am currently still waiting!!!!!

Ammo increase and moderator permissions took 3-4 months to process.

~B

Just a question, what is the standard ammo limit for shotguns? What comes on it by default

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Mellor wrote: »
    Just a question, what is the standard ammo limit for shotguns? What comes on it by default

seems to be 100 on everything

• Advertisement

seems to be 100 on everything

Bit of a pain if your big into your clays, a trip to the FO for an increase??

I was just thinking about mine. I generall shoot in a group of three, so ammo limit between the three of us is not a problem. BUT if one of us was going to pick up a ammo for the three of us at the start of the summer it is a problem. Between the shop and the house I would be over the limit. I imagine this is good enough reason to get it upped to 250-500.

Mellor wrote: »
    I was just thinking about mine. I generall shoot in a group of three, so ammo limit between the three of us is not a problem. BUT if one of us was going to pick up a ammo for the three of us at the start of the summer it is a problem. Between the shop and the house I would be over the limit. I imagine this is good enough reason to get it upped to 250-500.

Would be good, I asked and no hassel Explain you shoot clays and 250 is only an average Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Some supers won't increase the limit without a CPO visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Hi,

I'm getting my application for a .22 CZ together at the moment (first time applying). I'm buying privately and am picking up the bill of sale next weekend. My question is does the seller have to hand the rifle into a firearm dealer till my licence (hopefully) comes along ? I'm hearing yes from some and no from others.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If he already has a licence for the gun, no he can hang onto it until you get your own licence.

If not he should surrender it to a dealer immediately.

Hi,

Mentioned earlier that i'm applying for my first FAC (.22). I'm a recent member of a local rifle club and my interest is in target shooting. My problem is I live in an apartment with no alarm and no way of wall fastening a gunsafe (structural reasons) What I'm hoping to do is register the firearm at my mothers house where, because of me and my partners working arrangements, i spend about 3 to 4 nights a week. She has an Eircom phonewatch alarm system. I was told you have to be resident at a certain address for a certain period of time to register a firearm there but theres no mention of it in the Firearms Act, only that you have to provide and prove secure accomodation for your firearm, which in my case would be seperate gunsafes in seperate locations for the rifle and bolt and ammunition.

I'm about a week away from contacting my local FO about submitting my application. I'd like to hear any opinions on my possible storage issues as i'd like to have as much information as possible before I meet him.

Thanks,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Like the OP, I went to the station with 3 statments from farmers letting me shoot on thier land and the bill of sale for the shotgun, superintendent was very helpfull and even rang my mobile when the licence came throughas i had rang him a couple of times in the weeks previous.
    Same for my rifle application just a bill of sale and had my licence in around 4 or 5 weeks, ive changed my shotgun a few times an changed my rifle from 22lr to .223 with the stroke of a pen and a stamp.
    even when i changed address and to a new station the guys are normaly very helpfull.
    Will let you know how i ask for the 22 pistol:D

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Heckler wrote: »
    Mentioned earlier that i'm applying for my first FAC (.22). I'm a recent member of a local rifle club and my interest is in target shooting. My problem is I live in an apartment with no alarm and no way of wall fastening a gunsafe (structural reasons) What I'm hoping to do is register the firearm at my mothers house where, because of me and my partners working arrangements, i spend about 3 to 4 nights a week. She has an Eircom phonewatch alarm system. I was told you have to be resident at a certain address for a certain period of time to register a firearm there but theres no mention of it in the Firearms Act, only that you have to provide and prove secure accomodation for your firearm, which in my case would be seperate gunsafes in seperate locations for the rifle and bolt and ammunition.

I'm about a week away from contacting my local FO about submitting my application. I'd like to hear any opinions on my possible storage issues as i'd like to have as much information as possible before I meet him.

I applied for a license a week ago and the rifle will not be stored where I live. The Firearms Officer had no problem with it.

You have multiple safes and a monitored alarm. I'd be very surprised if they objected on secure storage grounds.

Thanks,

That sounds encouraging. I'm getting well into the target-shooting using club rifles and i'd hate to think a technicality on storage would put an end to it. I believe my local FO is a decent sort going by a few others so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the replies,

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

I got my first Firearms cert last year .22. It I had to wait 2 week for the cert when I got the paper work handed in. My local station only has part time open hours so getting in when the FO is on duty is hard. Getting to see him took over 3 weeks. But he was very helpful.

Was in with him today putting in the paper work for first shotgun. He said about 2 to 3 weeks. But will have to wait and see.

When I went in I had letters from 2 farmers and my Gun Club membership. He told me not to give the permissions in as this would hold up the cert as they would have to check out the permissions with the local stations.

On the other hand my farther who has 2 shotguns and had a .22 a few years back applied for a .22 about 2 year ago and he was waiting over 3 months for his cert.

Advertisement