Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIKE THEFT - How to protect Bike

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Aside from locks, the obvious thing is don't present an easy target.
    Or better still do not present a worthwhile target. I have said my method in many threads.

I went to woodies, got a can of horrible yellow paint, and hand painted both my bikes all over, avoiding mechanisms. The handlebars, seatpost, rims, brakes, hubs EVERYTHING. It would take several days to strip the paint off. Nobody will touch it. Sometimes I don't even bother locking it outside shops. I used to come back to my locked bike the odd time with lads (not thieves) admiring it, now I come back to toddlers pointing and saying "yellow, yellow" to their parents. Still runs the same and better than any lock, lads in work laugh saying "I wouldnt give you a tenner for it", that is exactly the reaction I want.

There are youtube videos with the 10 most expensive motorbike locks, I think the best one took just over a minute to get through.

The other added bonus is flying by the lycra boys on their carbon fibre €5k bike, on something that looks like its been fished out of the canal, ooohhh do they go mental over that, great chases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

I think it's reasonably easy. Belfast / Dublin / London / France and I've never had any problems using a D-Lock (Kryptonite Evo Pro) on the frame and with pitlock on the front wheel and saddle post. (Pitlock is a shaped nut that can only be removed with a specific key issued with each lock.) Its also got the UK police irremovable identity tag on it too. I always lock the helmet to the bike too, it's just something that makes the lock that bit harder to access with tools.

Had my tyres slashed and wheel bent once in London, presumably by someone trying to steal it... but it's still here!

Just in relation to locking your helmet to your bike. You may want to rethink that approach - on two occasions in the last year (Hueston Station and Drury Street) I have come acroos scobes pissing into a helmet that was locked to a bike - ok once it was a motorbike helmet but still you get the idea

Advertisement