Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions-March 2008

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

arctictree wrote: »
    Clear sky here, temp of 3.1c. Mountains are totally covered in snow, down to around 500M. I'd say Lug must have more than 20 days of lying snow this month....
    There was no snow on lug yesterday so this mornings snow up there is exclusively from last nights precipitation.It must be close to a foot or more which would be incredible :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

There was no snow on lug yesterday so this mornings snow up there is exclusively from last nights precipitation

I beg to differ! I can see the North side of Lug from here and there were some specs of snow clinging on yesterday morning.

Yes, could be 12 inches up there given the amount of precip earlier. BTW - Djouce is spectacular here in the morning sunshine, looks like a serious amount of snow near the peak.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Djouce is spectacular here in the morning sunshine, looks like a serious amount of snow near the peak.

A

You're so tempting me, but I'd have to get there on bike as I've no car today

7.2C

I beg to differ! I can see the North side of Lug from here and there were some specs of snow clinging on yesterday morning.
    My apologies I could see some specs,I thought they were iced slush.
    The previous day there was a whole line of white snow.
    What I should have posted was there was no snow visible(From my location) It was stupid of me to suggest there was no snow at all up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Mothman wrote: »
    You're so tempting me, but I'd have to get there on bike as I've no car today

7.2C

I'd say the melt is on fast though. See the Weather Pictures thread!

A

• Advertisement

I'd say the melt is on fast though. See the Weather Pictures thread!

A

Yes, I'm aware of that esp as I would not be leaving till 11:30 :(

Sunny 8.3C now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Another 20.1mm fell from midnight bringing a total to 46mm since 1800 yesterday.Just under 2 inches of rain.

snowbie-1.gif

Would have been quicker getting to work on a boat today. The flooding in some parts is terrible.

Rain subsided at 4am eventually.
    Low of 4.7c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heavy overnight rain but no flooding as far as I know, very bright and quiet now.

Mike.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Stunning morning here now - 100% blue sky, calm and 7.2c. Although everything is absolutely soden!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Total of 32.1mm here in the past 24 hours. Temp now up to 8.4C and sunny with plenty of flooded fields around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Cloudy and Dry here for a change. 9.1°C/76%rh. 1011.6 mb and falling slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Overcast here now too. Temp got up to 13.9c in the sunshine earlier. Now 12.4c. Very light breeze.

Overcast with a few spots of rain.
    9.9c
    Wind-South 5-8mph
    1009.4mb

Stiff breeze, dry, temperature rising a little atm.
    9.3C. Max 11.6C

Here is New thread for April

Post March stats and reports here.

An air frost free month with a very windy second week with a total of just under 46mm of rain over the 30th and 31st.
    1cm of snow on the 3rd

Local Averages\Extremes for the month of March 2008
    Average temperature = 7.0 °C
    Rainfall for month = 115.2 mm
    (25.7 mm on day 30)
    (20.1 mm on day 31)
    Rainfall for year = 223.7 mm
    Max temp = 13.4 °C on day 31 at time 13:19
    Min temp = 0.9 °C on day 03 at time 18:09(Snow)
    Max pressure = 1036.3 mb on day 04 at time 23:13
    Min pressure = 955.4 mb on day 10 at time 08:15
    Max gust speed = 49.5 mph from 158 °(SSE) on day 10 at time 01:17

From Met Eireann's monthly weather summary
    Unsettled conditions during most of March brought rain or showers on most days, with frequent
    thunderstorms, especially over the western half of the country. Deep Atlantic depressions gave strong
    winds at times also, particularly during the period between the 10th and 12th, when a number of stations
    recorded their highest ever March gusts. Rainfall totals for the month were above normal everywhere, with
    percentage of normal values between 105% at Rosslare and 196% at Casement Aerodrome. It was the
    wettest March for between 12 and 22 years in many places and the wettest for more than 40 years at both
    Dublin Airport and Casement Aerodrome. Heaviest falls were recorded during the periods 9th to 11th and
    27th to 31st, resulting in localised flooding at the end of the month. Most stations recorded a total of
    between 16 and 22 wetdays (days with 1mm or more rainfall), compared with the normal range for March of
    11 to 17, while 25 wetdays were recorded at stations in the north and northwest. Temperatures were close to
    normal values for March throughout almost all of the month, but fell low enough for falls of sleet or snow
    to develop on a number of days, especially in western areas. There was a total of between 14 and 20 ground
    frosts at most inland stations compared with between 12 and 14 in an average March; Kilkenny’s total of 28
    ground frosts during the month was its highest for March since the station opened in 1957. Despite being a
    wet month in most places, it was also a sunnier than normal month everywhere, with sunshine totals around
    10% higher than normal generally.

Wind and elements:
    Mean windspeeds for the month of between 9 and 16 knots generally (17 and 30km/h) were
    above normal everywhere and were the highest for March for between 13 and 19 years in many places. The strongest
    winds were recorded between the 10th and 12th, with the highest gust, 73 knots(135 km/h), measured at both
    Valentia Observatory on the 10th and at Belmullet on the 11th; this was Valentia’s highest March gust on record.
    There was frequent thunderstorm activity, mainly in the periods 7th to 13th and 26th to 30th. Hail showers were
    recorded in the periods 2nd to 4th, 7th to 13th, 20th to 23rd and 26th to 30th, while snow was observed in the
    periods 2nd to 4th, 9th to 11th and on the 22nd and 28th. Fog was most widespread on the 14th and 15th.
    Extreme values
    Rainfall
    Highest total: 171mm at Knock Airport (its wettest March since 1994)
    Lowest total: 71mm at Rosslare
    Highest daily rainfall: 30.8mm at Valentia Observatory on 9th
    Temperature
    Highest mean monthly temperature: 8.0°C at Valentia Observatory
    Lowest mean monthly temperature: 5.0°C at Knock Airport
    Highest temperature: 13.5°C at Shannon Airport on 13th
    Lowest air temperature: -4.1°C at Casement Aerodrome on 18th
    Lowest grass minimum temperature: -10.9°C at Birr on 18th
    Sunshine
    Highest monthly total: 143 hours at Rosslare
    Lowest monthly total: 98 hours at Valentia Observatory
    Highest daily sunshine: 10.6 hours at Cork Airport on 26th