Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Current Weather Conditions-March 2008

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

temp 4.6c pressure 986 mb light s/se ,everything falling slowly , can anyone confirm pressure readings , my w/s has never been calibrated at sea level .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Pressure is now 985.4 mb, falling more quickly.

Temp 5.0c
    Dewpoint 1.9c.

Clouds lowering and looking very ominous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Cirrostratus has enveloped here and lowering clouds to my west
    988.1mb thats 0.4 drop in 15mins falling much quicker now also.

next stupid question , would pressure be much lower than sea level ,at my slight altitude .

kerry1960 wrote: »
    next stupid question , would pressure be much lower than sea level ,at my slight altitude .
    Yes, pressure is generally recorded at sea level. ie: pressure charts etc. At height it decrease's so the difference be lower where you are than at sea level but not so vast the difference.

• Advertisement

984.5 mb. A fall of 0.9mb in less than 15 mins. Here it comes, (for whoever gets it..;))

Snowbie wrote: »
    Yes, pressure is generally recorded at sea level. ie: pressure charts etc. At height it decrease's so the difference be lower where you are than at sea level but not so vast the difference.

would we be talking less/more than 1 mb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Temp down to 3.9C here now, RH stopped rising, now at 79%, DP 0.6C.

Pressure dropping very quickly, 998.1mb here too, down 1.9mb in the last hour.

Looks like the first of the rain is pushing into the south west now.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

would we be talking less/more than 1 mb ?

My station is reading and absolute pressure of 970.5mb with a relative of 988.0mb which I set using Casement (about a mile from here) as a reference.

I'm guessing the 970mb is what I'm actually reading here and the 988mb is adjusted to sea level. I'm about 500ft above sea level like yourself. I'm probably way wrong though! :)

Edit: Just found this, looks like around a 15 mmHg drop per 500 feet.

983.6 mb in Tuam now. Oddly, the clouds seem to be thinning out. Most unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Currently 3.8°C and falling slowly, dp is -1.1°C , wonder if I'll see some transient snow tonight before it turns back to rain.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

982.6 mb
    4.7c.
    Dewpoint 1.6c

Some moderate gusts. Sky looks blue/black.

nemonoid wrote: »
    My station is reading and absolute pressure of 970.5mb with a relative of 988.0mb which I set using Casement (about a mile from here) as a reference.

I'm guessing the 970mb is what I'm actually reading here and the 988mb is adjusted to sea level. I'm about 500ft above sea level like yourself. I'm probably way wrong though! :)

Edit: Just found this, looks like around a 15 mmHg drop per 500 feet.

got that mate , thanks , i guess there is no point in me issuing pressure readings then , having said that pressure has dropped 4mb in past hour , 4.3c , a very low temp for this loc with an approaching front .

You can set up barometer Kerry to give yourself sea level readings even as high up as you are. Pressure is around 984/3 for your area right now. There should be some altitude setting on it that will allow you to adjust to this figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Dew point here now -2.0°C, this is some crazy ass weather front on the way.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

temp 6.4C dp -1.3C here
    986.5mb falling rapidly
    got that mate , thanks , i guess there is no point in me issuing pressure readings then , having said that pressure has dropped 4mb in past hour , 4.3c , a very low temp for this loc with an approaching front .

If you know how high up you are you could use this.
    http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/altimetersetting.shtml

980.8 mb
    Wind picking up now, with short, impressive gusts. :)

Edit: Make that 980.3 mb. Now dropping at a rate of 0.1 mb a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Carlow town:

Air: 5.8c
    DP: 1.3c
    Humidity: 73%
    Pressure: 985.9

S'ly wind gusting up to 8/10mph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

3.2c here, calm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Starting to get very windy here at the moment.

• Advertisement

984.9mb and falling rapidly
    6.1c and dp -0.9c
    Wind now SSE at 7mph gusting to 14mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

when was the last time we had a storm like this can anyone tell me

Saibh wrote: »
    when was the last time we had a storm like this can anyone tell me
    If the storm was positioned off the north coast it would have made hurricane Charley in 1987 look like a breeze but we will never know now.So Charley is still up there.

thanks for the assist everyone ,

light rain
    temp 4.1c
    s/se nothing more than a strong breeze
    pressure drop another 4mb in 65mins

978.8 mb Wind is only coming in shortlived gusts. Calm in between.

4.5c.

983.9mb that is 1mb fall since last post which is quick. Rate of fall now at 2.8mb p/hr which is increasing.

6c dp up to -0.3c
    Wind unchanged.

mods ........would it be a good idea to merge the rest of this thread with the severe storm alert thread .

only a suggestion, a lot of crossposting .

mods ........would it be a good idea to merge the rest of this thread with the severe storm alert thread .

only a suggestion, a lot of crossposting .
    Well as the title suggests this is current weather conditions. The other thread is concerned with the storm itself.In extreme events like this the two threads will clash untill the thread or storm passes and that thread dies off while this remains.
    I have no problem with that.
    If it comes down to that i will just move posts but everyone is heeding the threads titles imo.

Snowbie wrote: »
    983.9mb that is 1mb fall since last post which is quick. Rate of fall now at 2.8mb p/hr which is increasing.

6c dp up to -0.3c
    Wind unchanged.
    Rate of fall here is only 1.7mb/hr.
    983.2mb
    South at 10mph gust 20mph
    5.5c
    Dewpoint 2.1c

• Advertisement

982.6mb and rate at -2.6mb p/hr down from -2.9mb p/hr
    5.9c and as expected dp climbing to +0.5c

Wind avg gone up so breeze is consistent,gusting low still at 14mph.

Advertisement