Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal International Air Tattoo 1st update

• 01-03-2008 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

The first official update for RIAT is out. WOW what a start!!!

ROYAL AIR FORCE
    Hawk T1 (x11) The Red Arrows RAF 90th F
    Lancaster B1 BBMF RAF 90th F
    DC3 Dakota BBMF RAF 90th F
    Spitfire BBMF RAF 90th F
    Hurricane IIC BBMF RAF 90th F
    Typhoon (x2) 29 ® Squadron RAF 90th F
    Hawk T1 (x2) 208 ® Squadron RAF 90th F
    Tucano T1 (x2) 1 FTS RAF 90th F
    Tutor T1 1 EFT RAF 90th F
    Vigilant (x3) 612 VGS RAF 90th S
    Viking (x2) 621 VGS RAF 90th S

ARMY AIR CORPS
    Lynx & Gazelle The Blue Eagles Global Engagement F
    Lynx AH7 672 Sqn, 9 Regt Global Engagement S
    Lynx AH9 672 Sqn, 9 Regt Global Engagement S

ROYAL NAVY
    Hawk T1 (x2) NFSF (FW) Global Engagement S

US MILITARY

US AIR COMBAT COMMAND
    F-22A (x2) Raptor East Demo Team Global Engagement F
    B-1B *TBC* Global Engagement F
    B-1B *TBC* Global Engagement S
    B-52H 93 BS, 917th Wing Global Engagement S

US AIR FORCES EUROPE
    C-130E 37 AS, 86 AW Global Engagement S
    F-16 *TBC* Global Engagement S
    F-15C 48 FW Global Engagement S
    F-15E 48 FW Global Engagement S
    KC-135R 100 ARW Sky Tanker 08 S

USAF RESERVE COMMAND
    KC-135R 756 ARS, 459 ARW Sky Tanker 08 S
    KC-10A 79 ARS, 349 AMW Sky Tanker 08 S

US NAVY
    F/A-18E/F (x2) Boeing & *TBC* Global Engagement F

OTHER MILITARY

BRAZILIAN AIR FORCES
    T-27 Tucano (x7) Esquadrilha da Fumaca, EDA Global Engagement F
    C-130H 1o/1o GT Global Engagement SP
    C-105A 1o/9o GAv Global Engagement S

CANADIAN FORCES - AIR COMMAND
    CF-18 Hornet (x2) Hornet Demo Team Global Engagement F

CHILEAN AIR FORCE
    Extra 300L (x4) Escuadrilla de Alta Acrobacia 'Halcones' Global Engagement F
    C-130H Grupo de Aviacion No 10 Global Engagement SP

CZECH AIR FORCE
    JAS-39C Gripen 211.tl, 21.zTL Global Engagement F
    JAS-39C Gripen 211.tl, 21.zTL Global Engagement S
    Mi-24V (x2) 231.vrl, 23.zVrl Global Engagement F
    L159 ALCA 212.tl, 21zTL Global Engagement S
    Mi-171Sh 232.vrl, 23.zVrl Global Engagement S
    An-26 241.dsl, 24.zDL Global Engagement SP

FRENCH AIR FORCE
    Alpha Jet E (x9) Patrouille de France Global Engagement F
    Mirage 2000 (x2) *TBC* Global Engagement S

HUNGARIAN AIR FORCE
    JAS-39C 1. Vadaszrepulo Szazad 'Puma' Global Engagement *TBC*
    MiG29 2. Vadaszrepulo Szazad 'Dongo' Global Engagement *TBC*
    An-26 3. Szallito Repulo Szazad 'Teve' Global Engagement *TBC*

PAKISTAN NAVY
    P-3C Orion 28 Squadron Global Engagement S

PORTUGUESE AIR FORCE
    Alpha Jet A (x2) Asas de Portugal Global Engagement F
    C-130H Esq 501 'Bisontes' Global Engagement S

ROYAL DANISH NAVY
    Super Lynx Mk90 SHT Global Engagement S

ROYAL JORDANIAN AIR FORCE
    C-130H Airlift Wing Global Engagement S

ROYAL NORWEGIAN AIR FORCE
    F-16AM (x2) 132 Luftving Global Engagement S

SWISS AIR FORCE
    F-5E Tiger (x7) Patrouille Suisse Global Engagement F
    Ce560XL Lufttransportdienst des Bundes Global Engagement VIP

CIVILIANS
    Spitfire PRXIX Rolls-Royce RAF 90th F
    L-39C (x8) Brietling Jet Team Global Engagement F
    R-44 Alan Smith SP
    KDC-10 Omega Sky Tanker 08 F/S
    Extra 300 (x4) Royal Jordanian Falcons Global Engagement F
    Jet Provost Mk3A Newcastle Jet Provost Club RAF 90th S

CHARTERS / VISITORS
    DC-3 Air Atlantique Charter
    Twin Pionner Air Atlantique Charter
    DH Dove Air Atlantique Charter
    Dragon Rapide Air Atlantique Charter

And there will be more to come with updates every 3 weeks.

Roll on July!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I am counting down the days!!:) All i want to see is a B1 on full burner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Is that all? I might not go now:D

cp251 wrote: »
    Is that all? I might not go now:D

CP you fancy meeting up with myself and Vulcan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Hey guys!

Im interested in getting tickets for this as a present for the boyf - could you guys explain the difference in the types of tickets available to me? On the website it is unclear which ticket entitles you to what... ideally would want to be able to watch all the air show parts and walk around the show ground looking at the parked planes? Also is it the same displays on the Saturday and Sunday or different things each day? If so which day is best to go in your opinion?

Sorry for all the questions, just have never been to anything like this before! :D

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

Steyr wrote: »

haha...wouldnt want to be too close for that! That thing will destroy every piece of glass within half a mile on full burner!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Punchy07

Steyr wrote: »

lol I got the shock of my life when that took off at last years Air tatoo,after the strain of listening to a few typhoons,an f-16,f-15 etc.I thought ah yes an aul bomber to take the strain off awhile,HOW WRONG I WAS!My god what a savage machine,it's agility for it's size is unreal too

Also,can't believe they got the Raptor!Would love to see that beast up close,wish I didnt have a holiday booked for week of the show!!

electric69 wrote: »
    haha...wouldnt want to be too close for that! That thing will destroy every piece of glass within half a mile on full burner!:D

You do realise the crowd line is close enough to the RWY yet a safe distance too and that the B1 usually holds on the threshhold on "Mil" power for a bit before departing, i have seen a picture of some poor unfortunate's well lets face it, idiots a FAR bit away from the exhausts as a B1 held and needless to say people were blown away literally.

Punchy07 wrote: »

Also,can't believe they got the Raptor!Would love to see that beast up close,wish I didnt have a holiday booked for week of the show!!

Dont worry Roger ( Vulcan57 ) will be taking the Air shots and il be doing the Statics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Hey guys!

Im interested in getting tickets for this as a present for the boyf - could you guys explain the difference in the types of tickets available to me? On the website it is unclear which ticket entitles you to what... ideally would want to be able to watch all the air show parts and walk around the show ground looking at the parked planes? Also is it the same displays on the Saturday and Sunday or different things each day? If so which day is best to go in your opinion?

Sorry for all the questions, just have never been to anything like this before! :D

Thanks!

First of all, you are better to get tickets as early as possible on line, as they go up towards the show dates. What ever you decide, you will need an entrance ticket as all the others are add-on's. This year they have introduced day specific tickets, so if you are going to attend on one day only, buy a ticket(s) for that day, or for a little extra you can buy a ticket that can be used for either day, but not both, if you are unsure which day you will be going.

If, like you say, you would ideally like to see all the flying and be able to see the aircraft in the static park, you will have to do both days as, unless you are an olympic athlete, you won't get to everything in one day. The flying displays are constant from 10am till 6pm. There are usually in excess of 300 aircraft from 30+ countries and the static park is the length of the air field, so you are talking about 2 miles. There are also hundred or so trade stands and exhibitions. A very good idea is to get grand stand tickets for one day, as this avoids all the pushing and shoving to see the action of the flying displays and use the second day for wandering around the static stuff, thats what we do anyway.

The flying displays are pretty much the same both days with the odd exception. This year the French display team Patrouille de France and the Belgian F-16 will only be there on the Saturday as they are appearing in France on the Sunday. With so many teams this year (7 so far), it is possible that they may have 1 or 2 of the teams doing only one day.

So, an entrance ticket entitles you to view the flying and the static. Hope this answers you questions, if there are any further ones just post them and I'll answer them as best I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

That's brilliant exactly the information I needed.. thanks a million!!

• Advertisement

Who are the breitling display team?Never heard of them.Also after seeing The Blades at salthill last year,I thought the Royal Jordanian falcons were very boring to watch,dont think they get the most out of their extras at all!I'm seriously considering re schedueling my holiday though after seeing the line up!Especially now that they have the F-22 Raptor and the Swiss and French display teams!

Who are the breitling display team?

The Breitling Jet Team are based at Dijon, France and display in their six colourful Aero L-39 Albatros jets. The current sponsors are Breitling which can be seen on these striking dark blue and yellow jets.
    The L-39 aircraft is a low-wing, tandem seating, all metal turbofan powered aircraft designed for basic and advanced training, including weapon delivery practicing, as well as for light attack tasks.

The air show presented by the Breitling Jet Team generally lasts seventeen minutes. The acrobatic figures of the six L-39 planes are underscored by a (biodegradable) smoke-trail system; they are also enhanced by a musical accompaniment that further heightens the intensity of the sight.

And they are the only privately run jet display team.

Who are the breitling display team?Never heard of them.Also after seeing The Blades at salthill last year,I thought the Royal Jordanian falcons were very boring to watch,dont think they get the most out of their extras at all!I'm seriously considering re schedueling my holiday though after seeing the line up!Especially now that they have the F-22 Raptor and the Swiss and French display teams!

Totally agree, and I think a lot people do, about the Royal Bordanian Falcons! I believe that the reason they are there every year is that the king of Jordan is one of the patrons of the show. Good time for a burger break, problem is a lot of people have the same idea!! The blades are streets ahead of them IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

vulcan57 wrote: »
    What ever you decide, you will need an entrance ticket as all the others are add-on's.
    So, an entrance ticket entitles you to view the flying and the static. Hope this answers you questions, if there are any further ones just post them and I'll answer them as best I can.

If an entrance ticket entitles you to entry, viewing flying and static, what are the add-ons?? Sounds like some show.

Sorry to go OT, but can anyone point me in the direction of a list of Irish airshows?

There aint no list,think there's one in bray not sure if it's still going and even if it was I'd still recommend you pay the extra few hundred euro and take a trip over to the Uk to see techonology at it's very best!!RIAT is a great weekend away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I would be tempted alright, will keep an eye on here.

whyulittle wrote: »
    I would be tempted alright, will keep an eye on here.

If you are seriously considering it,I'd strongly recommend you buy tickets asap because as mentioned above prices climb the closer you get to the show and you'd want to save every cent possible when going to england for a weekend because it's really expensive!Me and my dad went last year both of us had tickets to the saturday show and the sunday show which we're something like 37.50 sterling which is 50+ euro?So four tickets set us back 200 euro,flights weren't cheap eithear,we flew to bristol and stayed in bristol and got the train to and from the show both days so there was alot of money being paid out on travel too.Overall though we had no complaints when you see 300+ static aircraft and 2 9 hour flying displays it's easy to see why they need to charge so much!

If you are seriously considering it,I'd strongly recommend you buy tickets asap because as mentioned above prices climb the closer you get to the show and you'd want to save every cent possible when going to england for a weekend because it's really expensive!Me and my dad went last year both of us had tickets to the saturday show and the sunday show which we're something like 37.50 sterling which is 50+ euro?So four tickets set us back 200 euro,flights weren't cheap eithear,we flew to bristol and stayed in bristol and got the train to and from the show both days so there was alot of money being paid out on travel too.Overall though we had no complaints when you see 300+ static aircraft and 2 9 hour flying displays it's easy to see why they need to charge so much!

Staying in Bristol is one thing, but means a very early start to get to the show at any reasonable time to catch as much as possible. We usually stay in Swindon as then there are no train journeys just the shuttle bus out to RAF Fairford which gets priority routes so misses most of the traffic. Even staying in Swindon we are usually moving by about 7:30. If anyone is thinking of staying in Swindon I would advise them to book as early as possible as accomadation does go fairly quickly. It is possible to get B&B for around 35 pound sterling (approx. 50 Euro) for a single. Be warned though that all accomadation goes up that weekend, especially the hotels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Feck.. an F22! Class. I'll miss it because of holidays, but I'm hoping that the F22 will make it to Farnborough the following week instead!

• Advertisement

whyulittle wrote: »
    If an entrance ticket entitles you to entry, viewing flying and static, what are the add-ons?? Sounds like some show.

The add-on's:

Jubilee Garden.

The Jubilee Garden is a private deckchair enclosure on the crowdline offering a fantastic view of the world’s greatest flying display.

# Deckchair seating
    # Delicious summer refreshments from the food and drink pay-bar
    # Private toilets
    # Your ticket will allow you to come and go as you please throughout the day

Public Grandstand

Highly recommended.

The centrally located Public Grandstand offers an uninterrupted bird's eye view of the world’s greatest flying display.

# Grandstand seat
    # Catering
    # Private toilets
    # Your ticket will allow you to come and go as you please throughout the day

Aviation Club

The Aviation Club is designed for individuals, groups and organisations preferring a special day out in a non-corporate environment. Dress code is smart but casual.

* Marquee with private grandstand and garden
    * Reception area and private toilets
    * Morning coffee, two course buffet lunch and afternoon tea
    * Airshow admission
    * Access onto the VIP 'fast track' traffic route and dedicated on-base parking

Trenchard Chalet

Forming part of the VIP hospitality complex, the Trenchard Chalet and private garden offer groups and individuals the chance to enjoy all the benefits of an exclusive suite in a friendly, social setting.
    The package includes:

* Full VIP catering
    * Showground access
    * Private facilities access - plus all bar bills.

Biro wrote: »
    Feck.. an F22! Class. I'll miss it because of holidays, but I'm hoping that the F22 will make it to Farnborough the following week instead!

If it does it will only be on the Monday. It's down on their list but it has to be back in the states for Daton air show. RIAT is the only full European airshow appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

If it does it will only be on the Monday. It's down on their list but it has to be back in the states for Daton air show. RIAT is the only full European airshow appearance.

Stoopid yanks... not thinking of me like that...

Advertisement