Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Arsenal throw it away?

• 01-03-2008 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Okay its only 3 points this time not Keegans 12 but does anyone else think that Arsenal are looking set to crumble in front of our eyes? Wenger at it again today - seeing injustice at every turn, his captian William Gallas behaving in a most uncaptainly fashion, some flakey performances and poor results in recent times. Some players not quite at the same level as before Christmas.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wenger imo is feeling the pressure, hence why he is trying to make out like they are being fouled non-stop, like every foul against Arsenal's beautiful football is like killing a puppy.

I don't think it's Arsenals to throw away. I don't think its anyones to throw away, it's still completely up in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

They certainly seem to have hit a slight sticky patch at the moment, hopefully Villa can take advantage and collect all 3 points this afternoon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

you never know what could happen, sure they are goin through a rough patch but they could bounce back and be stronger than ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

April 13th will be an important date!

Although every match til the end of the season is important. None of the top teams can afford to drop points.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Raekwon wrote: »
    They certainly seem to have hit a slight sticky patch at the moment, hopefully Villa can take advantage and collect all 3 points this afternoon :D

I think Villa will run them close and may even steal a point

IMO United will win the league.

PS I am not a United supporter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

The next round of top 4 games will decide it. Sort the men from the boys etc. I can't see draws, it'll be at the **** or bust stage of the season then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I have abad feeling Chelski will nick it... Look at them, waiting in the wings... always watching! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Arsenal in my opinion have thrown it away...at this moment in time

Momentum is in Utds favour I feel and if Utd don't take advantage, it's Arsenals league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Cant see Arsenal throwing it away at this stage.They have the best squad in the league with no weak links in the team at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Villa are great at the moment. I can't see Arsenal winning, and I can defo see Man U thrashing Fulham today.

• Advertisement

Arsenal have some very clear weakeness in their squads.
    Their backup full backs are not up to the required class, and they have a striker injury crisis at the moment, Eduardo is a big loss, as is Van Persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

cheesedude wrote: »
    Arsenal in my opinion have thrown it away...at this moment in time

They drew one game!:confused:
    I don't think it was ever completely Arsenals to lose, i mean its not like they were 10 points ahead for half the season or something. That said matches like the one today against Villa are going to be very important for gaining some momentum. Then as cson says the next round of 'grandslam' games will be the main decider in the race, and i still fear that United are gonna knick it in the long run

If United or Arsenal win all of their remaining games, they will win the league. Same is almost true for Chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've backed Villa! :eek: No half measure draws, pffft :rolleyes: COME ON LADS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

PHB wrote: »
    Arsenal have some very clear weakeness in their squads.
    Their backup full backs are not up to the required class, and they have a striker injury crisis at the moment, Eduardo is a big loss, as is Van Persie

United and Arsenal have almost identical squads really. i don't buy this. United are just as vulnerable to injuries in key areas as Arsenal are. and no doubt Arsenal are being put under more media pressure than United or Chelsea ever have in recent years, i think this season is going to be a real testimony as to the impact the media can have on the final standings.

United have similar squads, but they are different.
    United certainly have more strength in defence and in midfield. Arsenal have more strength up front.
    However, United's injuries this year have been spread out, while Arsenal have been unlucky and they are down to the 2nd(maybe 1st) and 4th choice strikers. Also they have gotten an injury to their best defender, Toure, which you can't replace, just like if Ferdinand was injuried.
    United however are pretty much injury free bar Neville, Foster and Silvestre, the latter two who wouldn't be playing much.

Similar squads, but United's has more depth at the back and in midfield, especially in the full back areas. This is especially important for Arsenal because of how they play, because if their full backs can't both attack and defend, the system is very vulnerable. After Clichy and the amazing Sagna, there isn't a huge amount of quality there, especially in terms of defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

After Clichy and the amazing Sagna, there isn't a huge amount of quality there, especially in terms of defense.

but have United that much more than them in defence? both teams have an excellent starting back 4... after that you're talking about inconsistent squad players and unproven promising youth really. neither team has an abundance players jostling for that starting slot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

, like every foul against Arsenal's beautiful football is like killing a puppy.

oh my god people! please think of the puppies!

but have United that much more than them in defence? both teams have an excellent starting back 4... after that you're talking about inconsistent squad players and unproven promising youth really. neither team has an abundance players jostling for that starting slot...

Second choice back 4

United:

O'Shea - Pique - Brown - Silvestre

Arsenal:

Hoyte/Eboue - Senderos - Djouro - Traore

United's is much better, the only one with any real experience in Arsenals is Senderos, and he's not up to Browns standards, and Pique imo is a better player than him.
    Much more experience and depth in United's defence, Arsenal are relying on youth players there, and defence isn't a place for youth imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,091 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

the only one with any real experience in Arsenals is Senderos, and he's not up to Browns standards

heh just after you say that senderos scores an og

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I knew it :(

Mike.

I'm like mystic meg today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Cant see Arsenal throwing it away at this stage.They have the best squad in the league with no weak links in the team at all.

Are you taking the piss?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Still loads of games to be played, we are going through a bit of a bad patch at the moment but I still expect Utd to drop points also. We looked down and out today but grabbed a late goal to get a point, so we are still top, we have some key injuries at the moment but hopefully over the next couple of weeks we will get the likes of RVP and Rosicky back. I still think we will win it and expect us to take all three point at OT.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I still think we will win it and expect us to take all three point at OT.

really? you EXPECT it? gettin slightly cocky there arent we?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

really? you EXPECT it? gettin slightly cocky there arent we?!

Uhhhhh???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Hate that phrase "throw it away"

Just because you had better form earlier doesn't mean you are entitled to the league. Arsenal never had the league won when they went 5 points ahead.

The way this season is going I will expect Man Utd and Arsenal to drop points along the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Well i always thought arsenal were punching above their weight...

They got off to a flying start which is why they are where they are. It gave them the confidence to attack and play their normal game - they were never under pressure.

Out of the FA Cup, dodgy looking tie in the champions league, and now pressure on in the league, i'd expect Arsenal to finish trophyless this season.

There's something about them that they lack.. i think it's just mental strength and maturity/temper control... highlighted by Gallas' stupidity when that penalty was being taken...

I would have love to have seen it saved and the rebound tapped in.

Even if we go back to the Van Nistelrooy thing, or more recent the Nani dribbling thing - the Arsenal players seem to lack control or maturity to cope with defeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Wigan away and Middlesbrough at home are the perfect 2 games for them to get back on track. This debate about when Arsenal will throw it away has been going on since the start of the season basically, 10 games left and they're still top, it really could go either way, but I don't see it ending before the last 2 games of the season. That wouldn't be Arsenal throwing anything away, thats how close its been since the beginning.

• Advertisement

we have to look at it this way, its not arsenals to throw away, 1 point is not enough to say its theirs, three teams are within a very good shout of winnin it, going to be a great run in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

LOL. The squad that many were predicting to finish outside the top 4 can somehow 'throw it away'.

This Arsenal squad are punching above their weight and the strain is beginning to show.

If anyone's thrown anything away it's Chelsea and Abramovich. Sack one of the best managers in the league and then finish third with the most ridiculously expensive squad ever. That said, they still could win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

United supporter here, i have to say Gallas is a disappoitment for a captain. His inability to control his temper and control his actions makes me wonder why was he chosen as captain after Henry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

MIN2511 wrote: »
    United supporter here, i have to say Gallas is a disappoitment for a keeper. His inability to control his temper and control his actions makes me wonder why was he chosen as captain after Henry?

Cause he scored a goal with his c*ck once!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

MIN2511 wrote: »
    United supporter here, i have to say Gallas is a disappoitment for a keeper. His inability to control his temper and control his actions makes me wonder why was he chosen as captain after Henry?

Yeah to be honest his ability as a keeper hasn't impressed me one bit either:D

playa3 wrote: »
    Yeah to be honest his ability as a keeper hasn't impressed me one bit either:D

My apologies.. captain :D

• Advertisement

I think Gallas was an inspired choice for captain. He combined what Arsenal were missing with what Arsenal have. He plays a lovely game, great all round footballer, but cares about winning more than anything else. Was exactly what Arsenal needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yup. Chelsea are gonna win it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Stupid thread. It was never theirs to throw away in the first place. And key injuries isnt helping either.

Arsenal and Chelsea have had their fair share of injuries this season, while united have gotten away with it but saying that they have a better squad in terms of quality then Arsenal.

Its still all to play for but when the dust settles come may one just has to look at the costs of the squads and you will see that Arsenal's is a fraction of united's and chelsea. Even at this stage competing for the league title is an acheivment of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

jank wrote: »
    Stupid thread. It was never theirs to throw away in the first place. And key injuries isnt helping either.

Arsenal and Chelsea have had their fair share of injuries this season, while united have gotten away with it but saying that they have a better squad in terms of quality then Arsenal.

Its still all to play for but when the dust settles come may one just has to look at the costs of the squads and you will see that Arsenal's is a fraction of united's and chelsea. Even at this stage competing for the league title is an acheivment of sorts.

I can't see how Utd have got away with it? ..as you say they have a better squad that's all.

Utd have missed Neville, Silvestre, Scholes, Park, Hargreaves, Rooney and Saha for prolonged spells this season....and VDS for 4 league games over the crucial Christmas period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Yup. Chelsea are gonna win it.

Cant say id like to see it but id have to agree.They have not played well at all this year in general but will be a couple of points off the lead if they win there game in hand.Compare that to United and arsenal who have played to the height of there abilitys and have failed to open up a big gap on them.I still think that Chelsea have the best squad in the league by some distance and can go out and outspend any team on the planet this summer :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Nunu wrote: »
    I can't see how Utd have got away with it? ..as you say they have a better squad that's all.

Utd have missed Neville, Silvestre, Scholes, Park, Rooney and Saha for prolonged spells this season....and VDS for 4 league games over the crucial Christmas period.
    I have to add Pique, Hargreaves & Foster to that list aswell.

Every squad has had injuries, indeed Liverpool have probably had the least of the top 4, but now they are suffering one kinda in defence.

United haven't played anywhere near their abilities this year. There was a shocking period at the start of the year where we dropped a ****load of points, and have been playing catch up ever since. Realising I'm sounding like a Liverpool fan, but if the league had started in mid September, we'd be well ahead. United are really only coming to form in the last month or two to be honest, which is fine. But to suggest that they've played to their heights and that Chelsea haven't is just silly, especially since United were much better last year, and they have only added to their squad. Indeed, the way its going, after the additions in the summer, this years league performance has been a disappointment. But that was because we had an injury crisis in the weakest area of our squad, up front. Pretty much every time we've dropped points we shouldn't have has been due to either Rooney or Saha missing, or Saha being played when he wasn't fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Last 10 games:
    Chelsea
    Man Utd
    Arsenal

Der (H)
    Sun (A)
    Der (A)
    Wig (A)
    Tott (A)
    Bol (H)
    Midd (H)
    Arse (H)
    Liv (H)
    Chel (A)
    Midd (H)
    Ast (H)
    Bol (A)
    Man.C (A)
    Midd (A)
    Liv (H)
    Wig (H)
    Arse (H)
    Man.U (A)
    Eve (A)
    Blac (A)
    Read (H)
    Man.U (H)
    Chel (A)
    Der (A)
    New (A)
    WHU (H)
    Eve (H)
    Bol (H)
    Wig (A)
    Sun (A)
    This is not arsenal's to throw away. Looking at these remaining games, chelsea have the easier run in IMO.
    Neither man u or arsenal will win all their remaining games and united have a particularly difficult run of hard games from the Liverpool tie to the Chelsea one.
    I can definietly see it going to the final game, and with all 3 playin teams that could be playing for their survival, it will be very very exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its not arsenals to throw away....they were 5 points clear, so what, united dropped 5 points in a week, they dropped 4 points this week, thats what happens. both teams are neck and neck and arsenal have had alot of luck so far this season to still be one point ahead.

There is still a few weeks in the premiership to go, it would be interesting to see who wins.. Personally i hope Man Utd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

smemon wrote: »
    Well i always thought arsenal were punching above their weight...

Can't say I agree. I saw all of Arsenal home games last season and where we did drop points I left thinking how the hell did we not win that and for games we won,left thinking how we did not score more. Then I would watch MOTD and read the reports and was left thinking did they see the same game. What we lacked last season was a bit of luck in front of goal and we were a bit fragile. I got 12/1 at the start of the season, I really could not believe those odds. We are going through a bit of a rough patch at the moment, we are still top at the moment and I still believe both Arsenal and Utd will still drop points, we have RVP to come back and Rosicky which will be a huge boost for the run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Very true that

I couldn't believe how many chances Arsenal missed last season. You were always stung by the opposition taking an early lead as well.

Thought the same was going to happen this season when Fulham took a very early lead first game of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Every squad has had injuries, indeed Liverpool have probably had the least of the top 4, but now they are suffering one kinda in defence.

United haven't played anywhere near their abilities this year. There was a shocking period at the start of the year where we dropped a ****load of points, and have been playing catch up ever since. Realising I'm sounding like a Liverpool fan, but if the league had started in mid September, we'd be well ahead. United are really only coming to form in the last month or two to be honest, which is fine. But to suggest that they've played to their heights and that Chelsea haven't is just silly, especially since United were much better last year, and they have only added to their squad. Indeed, the way its going, after the additions in the summer, this years league performance has been a disappointment. But that was because we had an injury crisis in the weakest area of our squad, up front. Pretty much every time we've dropped points we shouldn't have has been due to either Rooney or Saha missing, or Saha being played when he wasn't fit.

2006/07
    Pl:28 W:22 D:3 L:3 F:60 A:23 Pt:69

2007/08
    Pl:28 W:20 D:4 L:4 F:58 A:15 Pt:64

i wouldn't say Man Utd are playing that more worse than last year, they have only scored 2 goals less than this time last year and conceded nearly 50% less, yes they have drawn and lost one more game but it ain't no crisis

will do Chelsea's comparison when i get a chance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

United will win it I reckon. Arsenal haven't got the bottle for the run-in as witnessed by Gallas' strop after Birmingham nicked a point. Since their FA Cup defeat the team have been very poor. Have they even won a game since then?

As for Chelsea, judging by the reports of unrest within their ranks, I don't think they have the spirit required for the final charge which they had under Mourinho.

If United can avoid key injuries - unlike Arsenal with Eduardo - then I believe they will clinch the title as they seem to have the greater spirit and bottle in my opinion. I believe it will be close though between Man U and Arsenal. I reckon Chelsea will quietly slip out of it.

I have to say i have respect for Avram, when Jose left it seemed Chelsea would never survive without him. Expecting him to bring a cup home in this season is a bit too ambitious imo. Watch out for next year though........

• Advertisement
Advertisement