Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Arsenal throw it away?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I always love that line from the liverpool fans. If only the league started here. Well guess what lads its a league, winners are good throughout not just for a few months of it.

On topic watching the Arsenal Brum game myself and a mate said together at the end they ain't winning the league. I said a few months back Arsenal are great but I'd be interested to see how the young talent handles the pressure come march - may. This is where you need your most experienced and indeed captain to control and guide them through. Against brum Arsenals captain cracked and in spectacular fasion. Wengers post match comments also showed for the first time he is starting to crack.

In my opinion Arsenal have cracked and are gone as far as the title race is concerned. Yes I know they are still top but its the begining of the end for them. Between Chelsea and united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

iregk wrote: »
    I always love that line from the liverpool fans. If only the league started here. Well guess what lads its a league, winners are good throughout not just for a few months of it..

Why was this even said?

I think it is interesting though that from the months of November/December all the way through to the end of the season that a team who apparently has never shown, or never wil show under the current manager, championship winning form can actually amount the largest number of points over a period that spans 2/3rds of the duration of the season.

I personally think that it is a worthwhile observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Again I think its a much more worthwhile observation to look at points tally at the end of the season rather than for 2/3's of it. Kinda backed up my comment there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

its not arsenals to throw away....they were 5 points clear, so what, united dropped 5 points in a week, they dropped 4 points this week, thats what happens. both teams are neck and neck and arsenal have had alot of luck so far this season to still be one point ahead.

Gotta agree with this. It can swing either way over the course of a week. United look in great form, as they did before they had 2 bad games and dropped 5 points. It could easily happen again, it's not like Arsenal have to win their remaining 10 games to win the league.

People are saying it's Arsenal's to throw away because they got carried away when United dropped those points and Arsenal were 5 points clear... somehow making Arsenal champions elect. Just like they're getting carried away now Arsenal have dropped 4 points in a week. From reading this thread you'd swear Arsenal had dropped out of the title race instead of actually leading the table with 10 games to go.

iregk wrote: »
    Again I think its a much more worthwhile observation to look at points tally at the end of the season rather than for 2/3's of it. Kinda backed up my comment there!

Of course it is.

My point is, and stands, that numerous people on these forums have stated that Liverpool never look like they are able to put together any sort of run and that this is conclusive proof as to what they won't ever win the league under Rafa Benitez.

Now, I am not saying that we defo will win it under him. What I am saying is that having the highest points tally over a period of that that spans 2/3rds or more of a whole season is that run that some folks claim never happens or won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

lookin at the line up of fixtures for the three contenders i think chelski have the easier run in, but it rele is up in the air, anyones game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

and arsenal have had alot of luck so far this season to still be one point ahead.

Yeah, bad luck. RvP and Eduardo's injuries, several games they dominated but failed to pick up 3 points. etc.
    Not that I'm bemoaning our bad luck as an excuse. Every team has had good and bad luck this season. Thats football. Thats life.
    It really bugs me when people say "Oh team X are lucky" when their own favourite team (Y) have had their fair share of late goals, dodgy decisions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Had a chuckle at Taggart the other day moaning about Arsenal getting a late goal and saying they normally play 8 mins of extra time at the Emirates :rolleyes: how many late goals have United got over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

United have the hardest run in, but I'd still put them as favourites, slightly ahead of Arsenal. I thnk Chelsea fans are hoping a little too much.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Had a chuckle at Taggart the other day moaning about Arsenal getting a late goal and saying they normally play 8 mins of extra time at the Emirates :rolleyes: how many late goals have United got over the years.

Good teams are capable of playing at a higher level for longer periods of time, hence why Arsenal and United get plenty of late goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Galvasean wrote: »
    Good teams are capable of playing at a higher level for longer periods of time, hence why Arsenal and United get plenty of late goals.

+1 here here!!

i thaught what fergie said was funny, it was only tongue in cheek and was not supposed to sound harsh r anything, it was just funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

You gunners should go through all the ****e said about your team choking and the youngins not being able to cope with defeat in the threads on boards.ie and send them said posters a highlights video of the Milan game... Sher the 'overachieving' gunners dont have the bottle to win anything this year... :p

eZe^ wrote: »
    You gunners should go through all the ****e said about your team choking and the youngins not being able to cope with defeat in the threads on boards.ie and send them said posters a highlights video of the Milan game... Sher the 'overachieving' gunners dont have the bottle to win anything this year... :p

:D exactly, people watch highlights of a match or read match reports and reach a conclusion.

:D exactly, people watch highlights of a match or read match reports and reach a conclusion.

Well, fair point. I did reach my conclusions from highlights and a mate who kept me updated, but they did go to the San Siro with a team (missing some key players) and win. Something never done in the history of European football by an English team. Does that not indicate the arsenal team can bounce back from defeats or a poor run of form?

Well, fair point, but they did go to the San Siro with a team (missing some key players) and win. Something never done in the history of European football by an English team. Does that not indicate the arsenal team can bounce back from defeats or a poor run of form?

I'm agreeing with you;) I'm saying that people will watch motd and read match reports and draw the conclusion that Arsenal were in meltdown, which was complete rubbish.

• Advertisement

Oh, I thought you were taking a sly dig at my post because I reached my conclusions from highlights. Little ironic I guess. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

We are immune to it at this stage. Most football fans know jack **** about football nevermind Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Would it be wrong to bump this thread?.

How did they play and do they look like a team on the run? As opposed to a team on a run?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It was a bit like watching Liverpool as they have been for a lot of the season, very little of anything until the last 10 minutes, when they threw everything forward.

Arsenal's goal was a bit lucky, bouncing off Taylor's shoulder, a draw was about the right result.

I am going to be STUNNED if we win the league this year. :(

• Advertisement

No doubt we are going through a bad patch at the moment, we had a perfectly good goal not given today early on in the match, the goal is allowed then you have a completly different match ,however matches against Chelsea, Liverpool and Utd will be vital. I still feel Utd will also drop points. Hopefully Bolton can get something from their match against Utd.

astrofool wrote: »
    Arsenal's goal was a bit lucky, bouncing off Taylor's shoulder, a draw was about the right result.

Ha! So Boro werent lucky at all to have nicked that point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Hmm, I think Arsenal's run-in is tricky, could see them dropping points against Pool, Chelsea, Utd, Bolton even...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Arsenal play lovely football, and with the exception of 4 or 5 players their squad is full of cheap/well produced young players which is great to see. But they've won nothing yet, and had nothing to throw away. What was their biggest lead at the top, 5 points or something like that? Isn't Milan away the only victory in 6 or 7 games in all competitions? They have the toughest run in also in my opinion but they've the players to do it. Well capable of winning in OT and gettin a draw in Chelsea...thing is Bolton and Sunderland away along with Liverpool (3 games in a row should be interesting) and Everton at home are just as tough at this stage.
    jank wrote: »
    We are immune to it at this stage. Most football fans know jack **** about football nevermind Arsenal

And you do is that it? You've a chip on your shoulder everytime you post on here...everytime. Lighten up and cut out bein biased and angry.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Trilla wrote: »
    And you do is that it? You've a chip on your shoulder everytime you post on here...everytime. Lighten up and cut out bein biased and angry.
    It's jank...

It's jank...

lol..

The pool are gonna finish ahead of Arsenal. There, I have said it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

lol..

The pool are gonna finish ahead of Arsenal. There, I have said it..

That has to be the worst post of the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ha! So Boro werent lucky at all to have nicked that point?

You'd need to be a blinkered gooner to believe that Arsenal deserved a win in that match, they were insipid, and only put real pressure on with 10 minutes left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I enjoy watching the Gunners immensely. Arguably the most attractive footballing side in the Premiership. They look to be in trouble though, drawing 4 in a row is not championship winning form. They could still win the league but need to turn it around straight away. Man Utd seem to have all the momentum right now. Hard to see past them winning it at this point.

jasonorr wrote: »

Care to elaborate as to why?

The thread is about Arsenal literally capitulating in recent weeks. They have gone from being something like 18 points ahead of Liverpol to being just 8 points ahead. The comment was made somewhat in jest but it is actually looking like we could catch them.

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    You'd need to be a blinkered gooner to believe that Arsenal deserved a win in that match, they were insipid, and only put real pressure on with 10 minutes left.

Well then I guess you'll have to call me a blinkered gooner. :)

http://www.football.co.uk/match_reports/arsenal_middlesbrough_1048955.shtml

The stats show Arsenal were all over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The thread is about Arsenal literally capitulating in recent weeks. They have gone from being something like 18 points ahead of Liverpol to being just 8 points ahead. The comment was made somewhat in jest but it is actually looking like we could catch them.

I agree its a possibility...If Liverpool beat Arsenal and dont lose in OT, it could well happen

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

It was pretty obvious arsenal have lost their way completely,the flare up with bendtner + ade along with gallas losing it,eduardos injury, have only fed the media circus engulfing the club.They will hold out a title challenge till the pool take them to school when they meet 3 times in a week.

The real question now is will chelsea or man u with the title ?

They will hold out a title challenge till the pool take them to school when they meet 3 times in a week.

Not suffering from overconfidence there?

OK, Liverpool are in great form and Arsenal aren't, but that probably won't last for either team...both teams will drop more points, that's for sure, but I really can't see Arsenal dropping 9 more points than Liverpool!

Arsenal's Run-In:
    Chelsea A 1/3
    Bolton A 3
    Liverpool H 1/3
    Man Utd A 1/3
    Reading H 3
    Derby A 3
    Everton H 1/3
    Sunderland A 3

Liverpool's Run-In:
    Man Utd A 1/3
    Everton H 1/3
    Arsenal A 1/3
    Blackburn H 1/3
    Fulham H 3
    Birmingham A 3
    Man City H 3
    Tottenham A 3

This is how I see it panning out so I reckon the best Liverpool can hope for is they win all their games and Arsenal draw 4 more leaving them level on points, but I really don't see that happening!

It was pretty obvious arsenal have lost their way completely,the flare up with bendtner + ade along with gallas losing it,eduardos injury, have only fed the media circus engulfing the club.They will hold out a title challenge till the pool take them to school when they meet 3 times in a week.

The real question now is will chelsea or man u with the title ?

This has to be a wind up post.

OK, Liverpool are in great form and Arsenal aren't, but that probably won't last for either team...both teams will drop more points, that's for sure, but I really can't see Arsenal dropping 9 more points than Liverpool!
    Arsenal's Run-In:
    Chelsea A 1/3
    Bolton A 3
    Liverpool H 1/3
    Man Utd A 1/3
    Reading H 3
    Derby A 3
    Everton H 1/3
    Sunderland A 3
    Total: 16
    Liverpool's Run-In:
    Man Utd A 1/3
    Everton H 1/3
    Arsenal A 1/3
    Blackburn H 1/3
    Fulham H 3
    Birmingham A 3
    Man City H 3
    Tottenham A 3
    Total: 16
    This is how I see it panning out so I reckon the best Liverpool can hope for is they win all their games and Arsenal draw 4 more leaving them level on points, but I really don't see that happening!

Fairly reasonable post alright.. Still doesn't really back this up:

This is how see it could go and why:

Arsenal's Run-In:
    Chelsea A 1/3
    Bolton A 1/3 - Fighting for survival and are more than aware that kicking the **** out of Arsenal will get them a resilt.
    Liverpool H 3 - Better team and will raise their form
    Man Utd A 1/3
    Reading H 1/3 - Fighting for surival
    Derby A 3
    Everton H 1/3 - Pushing for 4th
    Sunderland A 1/3 - Could be fighting for survival

Total: 12

Liverpool's Run-In:
    Man Utd A 3 - Due a result and think Liverpool will do it
    Everton H 3
    Arsenal A 0/3
    Blackburn H 3
    Fulham H 3
    Birmingham A 1/3 - Fighting for survival and at home
    Man City H 3 - Nothing to play for
    Tottenham A 1/3

Total: 17

As I said, the point that Liverpool was made more in jest but it could happen if Arsenal continue drawing matches. I think this is very possible as their confidence will be virtually shot.

Not suffering from overconfidence there?

Haha, well maybe a bit but my opinion on the league is right just wait and see.I fear chelsea more so then arsenal in the league at the moment and i don't think you would find many that would disagree.

Although the games vs the pool my be abit more on the hoping side as id love for utd to stuff them in the final :DIt would finally put an end to listening to them crow on about all their cl cups and league titles.
    This has to be a wind up post.

How is it a wind up post? I answered the question asked by the op and gave my reasons for why i think it will be between chelsea and man utd. I could go into greater depth about the whole subject if you like?

My 2 Cents on the Arsenal Liverpool Run ins
    Arsenal's Run-In:

Chelsea A - L
    Bolton A - W
    Liverpool H - D or W (depending on how fat everton are behind liverpool at this stage)
    Man Utd A - L (I think they will be drained mentally and physically after the 3 games with liverpool and this will affect them badly if utd get stuck into them )
    Reading H - W
    Derby A - W
    Everton H - W
    Sunderland A - W (Lets hope this doesn't relegate them :( )

Total: 18 MAX

Liverpool's Run-In:

Man Utd A - L (Just don't see utd not winning this now that they have got the momentum in the title race 1-0 prolly )
    Everton H - W (Will decide the rest of the season for them Win and they can relax as 4th is in the bag
    Arsenal A - D / L Depending on Evertons position
    Blackburn H - W
    Fulham H - W
    Birmingham A - W
    Man City H - W
    Tottenham A - D/W

Total: 19 MAX

Basically it will come down to 2 factors:
    1 - How everton react to the fulham defeat
    2 - How Arsenal get on in the Cl vs Liverpool( This will decide what route both of their seasons take in my opinion

I am almost positive liverpool won't overtake arsenal in the league this year due to the fact they realise they are not gonna win it and will be concentrating on the champions league once they have secured 4th spot from everton.Although with the form torres is in currently , anything is possibly if he keeps playing like that for the rest of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Man Utd A - L (Just don't see utd not winning this now that they have got the momentum in the title race 1-0 prolly )

Nonsense IMO, total nonsense!!!

I'm not a Liverpool but they're the form team at the moment. Man U's last two games are a loss to Pompey and a 70th min goal against Derby.

If you can only see a Utd win and Paddy power has them just over evens, then you're either a genius or a pretty basic 'Man U r de best' fan.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Nonsense IMO, total nonsense!!!

I'm not a Liverpool but they're the form team at the moment. Man U's last two games are a loss to Pompey and a 70th min goal against Derby.

If you can only see a Utd win and Paddy power has them just over evens, then you're either a genius or a pretty basic 'Man U r de best' fan.

Form goes out the window for these types of games to a certain degree, you should know that by now .Liverpool utd is just like city utd for us.Either team could pull it off on the day but all factors considered i predict a utd victory,feel free to come back and shove these words down my throat if they don't win sunday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

This is how see it could go and why:

Arsenal's Run-In:
    Chelsea A 1/3
    Bolton A 1/3 - Fighting for survival and are more than aware that kicking the **** out of Arsenal will get them a resilt.
    Liverpool H 3 - Better team and will raise their form
    Man Utd A 1/3
    Reading H 1/3 - Fighting for surival
    Derby A 3
    Everton H 1/3 - Pushing for 4th
    Sunderland A 1/3 - Could be fighting for survival

Total: 12

Liverpool's Run-In:
    Man Utd A 3 - Due a result and think Liverpool will do it
    Everton H 3
    Arsenal A 0/3
    Blackburn H 3
    Fulham H 3
    Birmingham A 1/3 - Fighting for survival and at home
    Man City H 3 - Nothing to play for
    Tottenham A 1/3

Total: 17
    I'm not going to get into predicting exact totals - I think there are too many variables for that to be in any way useful - but your logic is all over the shop in a couple of places here...

(1) Reading and Sunderland will pick up a point each at the Emirates purely because they're fighting for survival? I thought inability to get results was why they're fighting for survival. And Fulham, in an even more desperate position, will automatically lose to Liverpool at Anfield? Odd.

(2) Everton will pick up a point against Arsenal at the Emirates because they're pushing for fourth but aren't in with a chance at Anfield against their most direct competition (currently) for fourth place? Plus your totals will leave Arsenal ahead of Liverpool at the end of the season (so Everton are pushing for fourth against Liverpool by your sums) but they'll still raise their game more late in the day at Arsenal than they will earlier against Liverpool?

(3) Liverpool are "due a result" against United so they'll pick up the points whereas Arsenal, the "better team", will raise their game to beat Liverpool? Are United not better than Liverpool also? Will they not be up for it enough for at least a draw (like Arsenal, at home)?

As I said, my point that Liverpool will finish ahead of Arsenal was made more in jest - I did say that 2 or 3 times you know!

Crisis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

My post wasnt biased (if it was against who? dumb football fans!:D) or angry.
    I was just backing up someone else point..... whcih you failed to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Yes.

Yes they will.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Hmmmph.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ye feckin jinx :mad:

Archimedes wrote: »
    Yes.

Yes they will.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    DaveMcG wrote: »
    Ye feckin jinx :mad:

Muwahaha :D

We're still too far behind though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

We're still too far behind though!

stranger things have happened.

stranger things have happened.

Too true...hopefully...

Was it ever really theirs to throw away?

I still have that horrible sinking feeling that Chelski are gonna nic it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement