Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prize bonds

Options
  • 01-03-2008 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

has anyone won ny money on post office prize bonds if so how much and how much did you have in them. just wondering as im about to invest about 5000.00 in them. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My younger boy was given 2 bonds when he was born over 10 years ago and has never won anything on them. Just before christmas I won €3000 worth of prize bonds and haven't won anything on them yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I've had €1000 worth of bonds for about 2 years and never won a thing.

But about 10 years ago my granmother won 15 or 20 grand. Its just like the lotto your chances of winning are very slim.

The great thing about them though is if you get fed up of not winning anything you can always cash them in and get your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭jaxy999

My grandad bought a £20.00 pricebond and an £5.00 in 1957 and not once have we won! Better chance of winning the lotto me thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Look forget about buying thousands :rolleyes:. i bought one about twenty years ago ,won nothing no harm done (it could be you).You honestly wouldn,t go out and buy 1000 euro on next sat lotto or would you ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Just one thing to note on these. My Grandad had 5 or 6 of these and when he died both my mother and my nan tried to cash them in they didn't care if he had won anything, They couldn't reclaim the money not even with his dead cert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭freebird23

decies wrote: »
    Look forget about buying thousands :rolleyes:. i bought one about twenty years ago ,won nothing no harm done (it could be you).You honestly wouldn,t go out and buy 1000 euro on next sat lotto or would you ????
    if i was to put 5grand in the bank for 5 years the return on that would be small i want to look around and invest in a few places with a few different amounts and see where i can get the best return. no i wouldnt go and put 5grand on the lotto but with the bonds i could take back the money at any time. if i only got one win of over 5grand over five years wouldnt it be worth it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BillyBobWinters

Freebird, put €5,000 on Bank of Ireland shares. Now get them at €9.21 - down from a high of €18.50 last year. Never a better opportunity to buy them than now - Dividend around 6% but should hold for minimum 5 year period.

As safe as a punt on the stock market can be.

I bought €10,000 worth before the crash at €13.50 - not a bad drop considering the unforeseen crash so should gradually get back to that level no problem.

BB

thanks bb. do you have to have an account to buy those from that bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BillyBobWinters

yes you do, you have to lodge money into your current account and then the broker will take a direct payment from your account.

Basically cannot pay for them directly with cash or cheque.

I think it is re money laundering concerns.

Only bad news on this is that there will be a minimum commission of €125 plus stamp duty of 1%. You should be able to get around 523 shares for €5,000 however (at €9.20 a share today i think) - all then need to do is increase by 36cent and you are at break even. If they increase to what I bought them at, you would be up €2,248.90 (plus will have dividend etc)

There would be capital gains tax on disposal should a gain arise and commission from the bank too but as a shareholder the commission is a lot cheaper on disposal and acquisition of more BOI shares.

BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭jaxy999

Freebird, put €5,000 on Bank of Ireland shares. Now get them at €9.21 - down from a high of €18.50 last year. Never a better opportunity to buy them than now - Dividend around 6% but should hold for minimum 5 year period.

I bought €10,000 worth before the crash at €13.50 - not a bad drop considering the unforeseen crash so should gradually get back to that level no problem.

BB

Came across this post while doing some googling on prize bonds. If only we knew then what we knew now re banking sector share!!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Numerous people I know have or had prize bonds and never won a penny,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

freebird23 wrote: »
    just wondering as im about to invest about 5000.00 in them. thanks

Buying 5k worth of shares is not an investment. . Your 5k will decrease in value over a number of years.
    Just say you decide to cash them in in 10 years time - then all you'll get is 5k, whereas if you had put the money into a savings account at say 5% return, in 10 years you'll get back 7,500 or thereabouts.

permanent TSB and Ulster Bank both have special offers at the moment for lump sums.

and I've never, ever, heard of anyone winning prize money on them.

just to let you know i have indeed won a few spondulies on the prize bonds that i had bought. i was going to take back the money and just before xmass i won so i will keep them in for another while, before xmass was a good time to win. i also do the lotto regular and have had a few small wins, not winning back as much as i have spent on lotto. with bonds i have won and i still have the sum i started with. so for me they worked.:D:P:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 deise girlie

Hi I got one for €20 about 8 years ago. I won €50 about a year after but nothing since. Altogether we have about €150 through gifts for kids christenings etc but nothing won with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

yes you do, you have to lodge money into your current account and then the broker will take a direct payment from your account.

Basically cannot pay for them directly with cash or cheque.

I think it is re money laundering concerns.

Only bad news on this is that there will be a minimum commission of €125 plus stamp duty of 1%. You should be able to get around 523 shares for €5,000 however (at €9.20 a share today i think) - all then need to do is increase by 36cent and you are at break even. If they increase to what I bought them at, you would be up €2,248.90 (plus will have dividend etc)

There would be capital gains tax on disposal should a gain arise and commission from the bank too but as a shareholder the commission is a lot cheaper on disposal and acquisition of more BOI shares.

BB

Bloody hell! you would have lost about 90% of the value on this sure punt:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Bloody hell! you would have lost about 90% of the value on this sure punt:eek:

90% would have been a good result all things considered.
    Those shares are now worth 13c each,if the op had taken BillyBobWinters advice his 5k would now be worth 70 quid:pac::eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

BB

Bet your sorry you didn't go for Prizebonds now ??????????

gather up all your change and put it in bonds and forget about it and maby one day you gat a nice letter. how bad

• Registered Users Posts: 31 karenmaryobrien

I've had 350 euro worth of pbs for about 3 years. Won 70euro so far on them.

My friend has also won 70euro a couple of times (she had thousands worth of pbs).

I don't know anyone who has won more than the small prize of 70euro.

Better than blowing cash on the lotto, in my opinion, but if I had a large sum of money I'd put it into a savings account.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

i work for the woman how won 500,000 ( half a million euro) on prize bonds. my dad has a few prize bonds never won a thing he has them 20 years , my grandad won 500 pounds back about 15 years ago it was a nice little sum at the time . i dont have any myself , i guess u have to be in to win !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

Have had a couple hundred in prize bonds in for 2 years, just won 75 euro two days ago in fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

hellfireie wrote: »
    i work for the woman how won 500,000 ( half a million euro) on prize bonds.

My girlfriend's aunt won that amount recently enough. Possibly the same person?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

its probley the same person

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

My girlfriend's aunt won that amount recently enough. Possibly the same person?

No. My girlfriend's aunt won it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

nkay1985 wrote: »
    No. My girlfriend's aunt won it! :D

Two timing b*tch! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 niallliam

BB

The above piece of advice shows up the mess we are in. The bubble has most certainly bust!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Kershaw.D

My nanny won the 1million prize least year.

I think there great

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Sweet Jesus, BillyBob I hope you have more than that 10,000 you've lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

BB

I hope to god you didn't take BillyBobWinters advice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

BB

Just looking at buying a few prize bonds myself and came across this post. Like everyone else :eek: . The shares are currently €0.66. That €5,000 investment would now be worth €358 if my Maths are correct.

Advertisement