Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prize bonds

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

homer911 wrote: »
    Based on the statistics here - would you be better disposing of and reacquiring your prize bonds every three months?

Can't do any harm. Might be a good idea to try it for a year (i.e. 4 times) and see if on average you do better then just holding onto the same numbers?

Remember to post your findings! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liptonvillag

Freebird, put €5,000 on Bank of Ireland shares. Now get them at €9.21 - down from a high of €18.50 last year. Never a better opportunity to buy them than now - Dividend around 6% but should hold for minimum 5 year period.

As safe as a punt on the stock market can be.

I bought €10,000 worth before the crash at €13.50 - not a bad drop considering the unforeseen crash so should gradually get back to that level no problem.

BB

Here's a clear case of Main street meeting Wall Street lol. Well done BillyBobwinters. Gordon Gekco would be proud of ya. You typify the arrogance of the celtic tiger. Every wannabe with a few quid thinking that it was all easy money.

Here's a clear case of Main street meeting Wall Street lol. Well done BillyBobwinters. Gordon Gekco would be proud of ya. You typify the arrogance of the celtic tiger. Every wannabe with a few quid thinking that it was all easy money.

Wrong thread bud! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Wrong thread bud! :confused:

Its on the first page and I note its from March 2008!

As regards Prize Bonds, had them for a few months, haven't won anything. Most I've heard about is €150 that a mate won.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

had 2k worth pf prize bonds for 2yrs, didn't win a single thing.

cashed them in recently, might as well earn some interest on that money. never again with the prize bonds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Black Rock

On average €75 month? I seriously doubt it :P They are a complete rip-off. For example, there's no €1m prize draw if someone wins the €100k!? The whole scam is designed not to pay out.

And as for being "100% safe", your PB money is actually held (you hope!) in the Bank Of Ireland. Draw your own conclusions from that on how safe your money actually is :-P

Bank of Ireland have no role whatsoever.

Prize Bonds are an part of the suite of NTMA State Savings products offered to personal savers by the Government under the management of the NTMA (National Treasury Management Agency). The Prize Bond Company is an agent of the NTMA and hands the money directly to the Government. The other products are Savings Bonds, Savings Certificates, Intalment Savings, National Solidarity Bond, Ordinary Deposit Account and Deposit Account Plus.

The security of all NTMA State Savings products is explained in a brochure 1 on the State Savings dot ie website

Black Rock wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland have no role whatsoever.
    Yes, it was taken over by NTMA recently.

It is 22 years since the Bank of Ireland had any role in Prize Bonds - the last time was May 1989. The National Treasury Management Agency (NTMA) issues Prize Bonds which are an integral part of the range of State Savings products offered by the NTMA to personal customers.

The Prize Bond Company is an agent of the NTMA in respect of operation of the Prize Bonds scheme.

All "NTMA State Savings" products are part of the soverign debt of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

The Prize Bond Company is an agent of the NTMA and hands the money directly to the Government.

This is the sentence that worries me, so the governments over the past decade had their paws on this cash,
    Question,,,,, is it safe

goat2 wrote: »
    The Prize Bond Company is an agent of the NTMA and hands the money directly to the Government.

This is the sentence that worries me, so the governments over the past decade had their paws on this cash,
    Question,,,,, is it safe
    This has been the case for 54 years now since the first Prize Bonds draw in September 1957 - the money has always been part of Ireland's sovereign debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

But what if the country defaults? Will Prize Bond holders lose their money? Yes or no answer please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Amik wrote: »
    But what if the country defaults? Will Prize Bond holders lose their money? Yes or no answer please.

No one can say that for sure unfortunately. But on the balance of things I think if we defaulted, yes the money would be gone. Or devalued. Or stolen away on the promise of reimbursement in the future (e.g. pensions).

But my opinion has changed in terms of thinking we will default. I now believe the Eurozone won't let it happen. My opinion changes daily sometimes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

won 75 euro a few years back i was rather happy. but no win since how much are they worth if i sell them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Barrt2 wrote: »
    won 75 euro a few years back i was rather happy. but no win since how much are they worth if i sell them ?

Whatever you paid for them :D Always worth face value......no more no less. That's why some people think they're great (no risk) and others think they're crap (no profit bar winning which is crap odds).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

scotchy wrote: »
    I'm up to about €5000 now....Still nuthin:mad:

At last. I just came home to find a cheque for €75 in my letterbox. I'm A winner:D

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

God help us if some scratchcard addict starts a similar thread giving us a daily update!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

scotchy wrote: »
    At last. I just came home to find a cheque for €75 in my letterbox. I'm A winner:D

Just won another €75, never rains but it pours:D

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

I think this is a scam.

I've had 40 units since June 2008 and never won anything.

How do I go about getting my investment back?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liptonvillag

I think this is a scam.

I've had 40 units since June 2008 and never won anything.

How do I go about getting my investment back?

deatails are on the back where to post to for full refund. To give you and idea of the amount in invested in PB's. In 2009 there was a record 800 million invested in them. Its in operation since the 50's. There's billions in it so 40 units is nothing. people buy blocks of 1,000, 5,000 and 10,000 blocks. 40 units is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

With 7,525 winners and a total prize fund of €590,675 and only 6 prizes in excess of €250 per week I don't the government will be selling this one.

I did win €75 x 2 in the same draw a couple of months ago and the prize bonds were bought 16 years apart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Will prizebonds alert you by post if you win or have you to check ur bonds code online as ive never checked my bond codes?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

IF they have your up to date address, you'll get notified by post.

Advertisement