Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revival post 2: Where is it all going Ted???

Options
  • 01-03-2008 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Ok lads we saw the tape to digital move... Whats next....
    And who is the next protools? Its looking like Logic is going to move ahead in the future. Apple certainly know what they are at. If they got the whole integrated system jobby like protools they would be away with it...

But then after that! Moores Law, Whats the distant future for music production? We Will want 8,600,455 autotunes on at once. Organic Transistors??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

sei046 wrote: »
    Ok lads we saw the tape to digital move... Whats next....
    And who is the next protools? Its looking like Logic is going to move ahead in the future. Apple certainly know what they are at. If they got the whole integrated system jobby like protools they would be away with it...

But then after that! Moores Law, Whats the distant future for music production? We Will want 8,600,455 autotunes on at once. Organic Transistors??

The wireless studio maybe? Or how about the fact that you can get more RAM in a computer now than the Hard Drive on my old Mac/Performer rig?

Organic Transistors? I'd settle for Free Range!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

16 core Intel chips.

Infinite-ish instances of SD HD's in normal sized machines.

Computer keyboards with pots / keys / faders / crossfaders and X/Y pad.

dEaTH oF tHE moUSe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

but sure 16 core will be with us in no time Im sure! After that i mean. And maybe we are limiting ourselves a bit. EXPAND YOUR MIND!!!! recording in 3d? Prooper 3d?

Huge storage with no moving parts.

esplain

• Advertisement

studiorat wrote: »
    Huge storage with no moving parts.

Thats SD isnt it?

Flash drives will be one of the biggest changes I think.

Everything will get smaller / more efficient and hopefully cheaper (after a while anyway :( )

"I predict that one day computers will be big as a house and only the very wealthy will be able to afford them"

"I think there is a world market for about five computers"

Thomas J Watson - Head of IBM. 1943.

(I think its a slight misquote - but its still funny)

Here's a wish for the future.. Long Term.

I have a dream, that one day.. Software / hardware will only be released after extensive testing.

If needed - Version updates will be released regularly.

Not after lots of pleading from the customers.

In the short-term - a cutdown version of Logic Studio without all the Apple loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

multitouch screens. the eventual end of hardware outboard and the rise of things like SSL duende, focusrite liquidmix, etc.

Don't know if Logic is going to dominate the market in the same way current trends would predict. there's always some big upgrade round the corner on many other apps, so you never can say for definite.

• Advertisement

well silicon will last another little while alright but when it goes, and quantum computing hits our studios. How do we see this affecting workflow and the way we do things? no "it will be faster" answers.

jtsuited wrote: »
    multitouch screens..

Yup.. The mouse is on its way to the Retirement home.

I've probably got all the names wrong - but those Reac cubes / tables(??) - they're a glimpse into the future.

The Jazzmutant Lemur and Dexter. Really cool.. But F***ing expensive.

You certainly wouldnt put a cup of tea or a can on one without a coaster! LOL

Ye i can see the lemur being the way forward. More interactive music. But even in our manipulation of compressors and reverb etc. If you can imagine their parameters mapped to a continuim type surface.

Before anyone says it..

Flux Capacitor PCIe cards.

And any day now..

Skynet "Terminator DAW"

It'll literally blast all of the competition from the face of the earth with its advanced features.

lemurs/dexters have been making me salivate since they came out. User-designable interface? Love a bit of that.
    It's bizarre to think people can go out and spend a huge amount of money on big glorified midi controllers that are dressed up as old big SSLs etc, and not realise the potential of things like the lemur.

i know. but its hard to get away from good old faders you can realy feel. What about theremin type control!!?? that would be cool. Control a mix and frequencies with your hands in the air. Can see a lot of accidental remixes

have you seen the wii controllers people have managed to get to work with Max. Pretty cool. A little bit toy-like, but in a few years all the big companies will be selling technology inspired by these type of gadgets.

Ye tha type of idea. I can Def see music having more of a physical role

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

What about a tracking ball that controls every parameter of a DAW. You say the word 'Compressor',it pops up on screen. The compressor instantly is synced to your tracking ball! You say what you want and it pops up on the screen and gives you full control!

Up / down & Left / Right are just too restrictive and old school now.

You have all these X / Y options on Native Instruments synths that let you morph between different sounds.

Hard to maximise the potential without the right controller.

The designers have moved on from the mouse..

I did a customer survey for Native Instruments yesterday (dont want to be name dropping.. :p).

It was all about Keyboard / Midi controllers and what features you would like to see in one.

I've got Reaktor 5. I think it would be great to have a NI "real" soft synth with an X / Y pad / Joystick / arpeggiator / pots / faders (maybe even a crossfader for Traktor).. that could be tweaked as you would a real synth.

Suppose it would make sense for them to release "Kore 3" with all of these features. Its the next generation, with lots of different synthesis and sampling options.

So that's something that will be coming on for NI sometime soon-ish.

• Advertisement

NI should release Kore 3 with a load of x/y controllers. it could be called the megakaoss! And then korg would get all annoyed. but yeah good idea about what NI should do.

Oh and come out with a new super-duper subtractive synth. Massive seems kind of dated now.

sei046 wrote: »
    i know. but its hard to get away from good old faders you can realy feel. What about theremin type control!!?? that would be cool. Control a mix and frequencies with your hands in the air. Can see a lot of accidental remixes

Roland have a thing called a D Beam.. You wave your hand over it to control different parameters.

i've used the d-beam once in front of a couple of music technology students and i felt like a twat!! i've never been one to get embarassed that easily but they were looking at me as if i had ten heads. pretty funny really.

the d-beam is actually a fairly good idea, but it never took off on a larger scale. that could also have to do with it came out at a time when hardware digital synths were on their way out.

jtsuited wrote: »
    NI should release Kore 3 with a load of x/y controllers. it could be called the megakaoss!

Yeah - It would be an absolute destroyer!!

I tried the demo of Massive for a while. Had a really good mess around with it, but it didnt really do it for me in the end.

However I found Reaktor absolutely amazing - lots of really inspirational sounds.. and thats just scratching the surface.

Massive just sounded a little too ordinary IMO.

It would be excellent to be able to build your own synth in Reaktor and then have the NI synth to control it!!

The D Beam sounds interesting.

I've seem some of those circuit bent keyboards on Ebay & some "Build your own" w/sites. I cant describe it correctly without looking up all the correct terms (!) - but they have filters / modulators hooked up to cells that measure light. You run you hand over them - or cover them up to add a bit of randomness or to (attempt to..) control the sound being made.

I think anything like that - which is going to introduce a bit of feeling into what you are doing is a great idea.

i really love reaktor but it's a little bit time consuming. massive is very ordinary sounding, yet strangely at the same time it's way to keen on the mental as a bag of badgers, in your face, distorted, feedbacked presets. It's not the most ergonomic for designing your own patches on either.

Here's a link to my mates water based controller. Check out his emotion sensing chairs too!!

2-bit myspace blog

Here's a link to my mates water based controller. Check out his emotion sensing chairs too!!

2-bit myspace blog

excellent stuff!!!!:D

2-bit myspace blog

There was only a slight chance of electrocution before, but now.. LOL!

Great idea.

Now I'd like to see someone hook up a pH sensor to midi via toilet tissue..

or possibly hooking something up to someones jaws.

The future is bright. I'm bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭brettzy

How about installing a AD/DA chip in your brain post hearing which transmits to your DAW????

Advertisement