Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

most awful rock bands

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

kona wrote: »
    U2
    The arctic monkeys
    nickleback
    aslan
    panic at the disco
    my chemical romance
    avenged sevenfold
    anal ****
    snow patrol
    babyshambles
    stereophonics
    muse
    radiohead
    keel
    greenday
    offspring
    dragonforce
    all emo ****
    the doors
    jimi hendrix experience
    prince
    journey
    as mentioned above all indie rock bands with the..
    oasis
    blur
    foo fighters
    razorlight

and i save the biggest waste of space for last, the piece of crap that is NIRVANA, **** songs, **** people, ended the best era of rock music and the genre has been in the doldrums since, at least i dont have to listen to new material:D

most of these bands are absolute genius...if you think about it, most of todays teens grew up with these bands....

in terms of sh1teness...has to be the likes of metallica and the sort

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

This is a productive and novel thread with well constructed and meticulously argued diatribes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Robbo wrote: »
    This is a productive and novel thread with well constructed and meticulously argued diatribes.

I would like to make a special mention of YOUR band. :)

I just tried to make a point above, s'not my fault. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

SDooM wrote: »
    In stain'd defense, I think they did a good song. Once.
    Is that a song called once, or they once did a good song :D
    Their best song i seen was an acoustic cover of tools "Sober"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,893 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It isnt nostalgia Xavi, I wasn't around in the 60s and 70s. Its just, for me, the zenith of rock music reached by a small few bands happened in that era, and all we have now are people with less talent or no talent writing sanitized watered down pro-tunes versions of the original great explosion of rock that came from these bands, trying to recapture the awe-inspiring awesomeness of these bands, but failing miserably and instead coming up with a name starting with "the", three chords, a crap solo, a crap drummer and no bassist.

But Em, F and G work so well together!!!! :p

I know what you're saying, and that sort of thing is rampant. I do listen to a small bit of it in moderation though.

I guess maybe it's just that I can't get excited about an album released thirty years ago that I have no personal ties to. Hence my excitement every time Muse release something new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

most of these bands are absolute genius...if you think about it, most of todays teens grew up with these bands....

in terms of sh1teness...has to be the likes of metallica and the sort

ye the genius of kurt cobain.........finally become famous....decides he doesnt like it............inserts shotgun in mouth..blows his head off leaving a wife and kid behind.....**** that, he a moron.:mad:
    the only thing genius about bands from the 90s, 00s is that they have managed to flog crap music to the masses...that is a feat:D:D
    i was only born in the 1980s:eek:, so i have grown up with the bull****, thank god for youtube:D:D

ye metallica up to the black album were amazing, then it all went wrong(polished and generic)

but are we talking rock or hard rock or metal, grindcore etc etc etc....or is it just anybody with a bassist guitarist, drummer,singer???
    because rock is poncey anyways:D:D

just another valid point.

ive noticed on generic radio in the past 3 months, more and more 70s and 80s hard rock such as poison, def leppard, guns N roses, metallica,acdc, led zep,journey playing on the radio.
    these stations are the stomping ground of the commercial ****e of arctic monkeys etc......so there seems to be a shift with this indie genre getting stale, and nobody to take its place, so classic rock is returning.

this then leads to the very public reformations of 70s/80s groups such as Motley Crue, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin etc.

so i think its a fair point to say classic rock from LA, and british metal are becoming as relevant now a the indie bands...:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Most of the Radiohead clones!! Any of the teenybopper bands (Good Charlotte, Blink 182, Sum 41 , Papa Roach........)

The Stereophonics! Amazes me how these got beyond playin pubs!!!
    That 'Have a Nice day' is probably the worse song i've heard, a complete irritant! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

KISS, Poison, Motley Crue, RATT, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Europe - all that bollix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

This thread could just as easily be called " Favourtie rock bands " and have exactly the same posts , and they wouldnt look out of place !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

just another valid point.

ive noticed on generic radio in the past 3 months, more and more 70s and 80s hard rock such as poison, def leppard, guns N roses, metallica,acdc, led zep,journey playing on the radio.
    these stations are the stomping ground of the commercial ****e of arctic monkeys etc......so there seems to be a shift with this indie genre getting stale, and nobody to take its place, so classic rock is returning.

this then leads to the very public reformations of 70s/80s groups such as Motley Crue, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin etc.

so i think its a fair point to say classic rock from LA, and british metal are becoming as relevant now a the indie bands...:)

you cannot lump in led zeplin with those other hair bands you mentioned
    its sacraledge , zeplin are from a whole other time than those middle class white boy posers

irish_bob wrote: »
    you cannot lump in led zeplin with those other hair bands you mentioned
    its sacraledge , zeplin are from a whole other time than those middle class white boy posers

of course i can lump them in, i could lump them in with the feckin spice girls if i liked both:p
    led zeps era includes black sabbath and deep purple.........
    ozzy was HUGE in the 80s, as were black sabbath with DIO, DIO the ha a huge solo career.
    Deep purple are essentially Whitesnake.
    80s metal is a progression from led zep etc...hence NWOBHM(for those who dont know...new wave of british heavy metal, e.g priest, maiden, def leppard)
    jesus christ the more i read your post the more i scratch my head, ill give you the benefit and say its ignorance.
    you obviously dont have a ****ing clue about 80s metal.or even rock for that matter.
    motley crue most definatly were not middle class:rolleyes: neither were ratt, neither were wasp.
    all of these bands were made up of UNEMPLOYED, NO FAMILY, SOME WERE BEATEN AS KIDS,AND MOST WERE HUGE ADDICTS. (although it sounds like the irish middle class from ages 16-30:D:D:p)hence Motley + crue:D
    ill give you poison, keel, kix basically the 2nd wave of hair metal anything not from LA(they were ****ing ****):D:D
    metallica made good music but they were full of ****.

and if you are white, how can you be a white boy poser???:)

but yes this thread is a matter of opinion.
    lots of irish people hate 80s metal, henc the lack of major bands playing here.
    its huge in the US and massive in the nordic countries, vains of jenna, hardcore superstar for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I can't believe nobody has mentioned them yet.

Queen

The Darkness were also $hit. For a 'fun' band Justin Hawkins always seemed a miserable git. An example being him sulking over not getting the Christmas No.1 in 2003.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I could post a list of bands that I think are awful, but the list would endless, so I will just post a list of who I think are seriously overrated:

Pearl Jam
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Killswitch Engage (and all their clones)
    Pretty much every indie band that has played ****** since it started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

extreme
    mr. big
    ugly kid joe
    good charlotte
    sum 41
    blink 182
    nickelback
    evanesence
    poison
    u2
    darkness
    linkin park

and many more that will come to me later:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

NWOBHM(for those who dont know...new wave of british heavy metal, e.g priest, maiden, def leppard)

Priest weren't nwobhm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    Priest weren't nwobhm.
    :confused: I would have considered them the forerunners of nwobhm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

all emo and indie bands....and the beatles (Personal opinion not flamebait)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Led Zepplin
    The Who
    Pink Floyd
    Thin Lizzy

All Old
    All crap

yeah couldnt agree more!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You need to OpenYourEyes my good man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Nickelback.

comickroeger1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Glitteronsnow

Oh how I love Cyanide and Happiness.

The Doors. They make me uneasy. I find myself in a bad mood even if they are on in the background, even if I haven't noticed they are playing. Metallica, grrrrrrrr. Someone was mentioning that Elvis isn't dead song earlier, Scouting for Girls, they make me want to jam screwdrivers in my ears. The Killers, your man Brandon Flowers is an idiot. Razorlight, for the same reasons, the frontman is a knob and irrates the hell out of me. I used to love GNR when I was a kid, hate them now.

I used to love GNR when I was a kid, hate them now.

i used to love mashed banana sandwiches when i was a kid........ that GNR music you listened to hasn't changed, you have, that doesn't mean they are awful, just your taste has progressed/changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Glitteronsnow

gucci wrote: »
    i used to love mashed banana sandwiches when i was a kid........ that GNR music you listened to hasn't changed, you have, that doesn't mean they are awful, just your taste has progressed/changed.

Yeah true, I think it was the constant over playing of them that eventually drove me to not liking them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Parsley wrote: »
    Nickelback.

comickroeger1.png

LOL :D

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    Priest weren't nwobhm.

they are kinda in limbo, so id throw em in with nwobhm.
    makes things easier:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Metallica
    corporate whores

Yeah true, I think it was the constant over playing of them that eventually drove me to not liking them anymore.

it can happen, i used to like smashing pumpkins, on a certain level, until a mate of mine who lived with me nearly melted meloncoly in his cd player he was playing it so often. I nearly puke every time i hear billy corgans nasel tones now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

I think we'll all have to agree to disagree. This thread could go on for years.

I'm shocked at some of the bands mentioned here, especially considering i'm an AC/DC fanatic............. but i respect peoples opinions. *Writes down names to put on list of enemies*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

discussing music on boards is a tricky business , unless your into bands who never became successfull ( at least financially ) your considered lame

each to there own , i still think led zeplin are brilliant and i still think there in a whole other league to motley crue , ac/dc or the eighties hair bands

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement