Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

most awful rock bands

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bramabull

I once bought AAF's cd in a moment of weakness and regretted it after the first two songs, i have since copped the f**k on!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

F**k off!!! :eek: Have you had no musical education whatsoever????

:rolleyes:
    AC/DC dont have any musical education. How can a band release the same album again and again and get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Worst band...bon jovi,snowpatrol,green day?

You people know nothin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I agree with Jemmy!

I lurrve Bonjovi, Nickleback, Linkin Park etc..

I'll be leavin' now....

*runs away before she gets lynched* ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Millencolin
    Blink 182
    Sum 41
    Stain’d
    Alien Ant Farm
    Linken Park
    Limp Bizkit
    The Offspring
    Wheatus
    Goldfinger
    Crazy Town
    Hundred Reasons
    Shelter
    Crackout
    Jimmy Eat World
    Everclear
    Alkaline Trio
    Nickelback
    Smashmouth
    Sugar Ray
    Feeder
    OPM
    Puddle of Mudd
    Fenix TX
    Lostprophets
    LFO
    Reel Big Fish
    Bowling for Soup
    Stamford Amp
    Elviss
    Busted
    Something Corporate
    Simple Plan
    Good Charlotte
    Bloodhound Gang
    American Hi-Fi
    Less than Jake
    Violent Delight
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Artic Monkeys
    Killers
    Snow Patrol

Couldn't have put it better myself!! Throw in Hootie & the Blowfish for good measure!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

bing3 wrote: »
    BTW whoever said Alice in Chains were awful shouldnt be allowed post on a Rock & Metal thread.

Some opinions on this thread I disagree with, others I agree with, but I certainly agree with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I dont think anyone has yet mentioned the most overrated band ever (imo):

THE CLASH

I wouldn't say I hate them, but I hate hearing how great they are. I have heard no evidence to justify any hype. As soon as Strummer died it became cool to talk about them constantly. And whatever about social commentary, capturing the mood of the times blah blah blah....none of that matters if the music is dull.

MANIC STREET PREACHERS: there is no-one, and I mean NO-ONE who I would rather kill than Nicky Wire!! This pretentious twat has no redeeming qualities and is primarily responsible for writing some of the worst music ever.

BLOC PARTY: Led by another pretentious twat. Most overrated band of the 21st Century

COLDPLAY: whiiiiiiiiiiine!!!!!!!!

MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE: need I say more?

All generic emo crap (MCR, Fallout Boy, P!ATD et al)

AC/DC: painful to listen to.

THE EAGLES: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

THE ENEMY / THE VIEW / THE COURTENEERS / THE FRATELLIS
    none with an ounce of musical talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Blackthorn1011

Kings Of Leon. The most boring and irratating band ever.

They're the only band that really piss me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

To the people who said Nightwish, fair enough if you don't like the style but saying they're actually bad is genuinely beyond my understanding.

As for a band that I think is bad... hmm..... any band that don't do anything more than hammer guitars and growl/scream. I know that's an ignorant statement, but I thought I'd share my subjectivity regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

To the people who said Nightwish, fair enough if you don't like the style but saying they're actually bad is genuinely beyond my understanding.

As for a band that I think is bad... hmm..... any band that don't do anything more than hammer guitars and growl/scream. I know that's an ignorant statement, but I thought I'd share my subjectivity regardless.

Hey, Meshuggah are class. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

As I lay Dying
    Trivium

Anything along those lines. Wrecks my head. Over styled, wingey crap.

ANY hardcore band from the last couple of years.
    Slam dancing anyone?! :rolleyes:

Mayhem and Emperor - Over rated anyone? Most black metal has really began to annoy me, it's so over hyped. Anyone can throw on corpse paint, jump around a forest and be grim for a couple of hours. TR00 KVLT my arse.

Rage Against the Machine. I'll probably get slated for this but they really grind my gears. It seems there's been a major love fest with them, to me they're just annoying rap metal that won't go away. I can't even see the attraction with them anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Léan wrote: »
    Rage Against the Machine. I'll probably get slated for this but they really grind my gears. It seems there's been a major love fest with them, to me they're just annoying rap metal that won't go away. I can't even see the attraction with them anymore.

Definitely have to agree with you there. Saw them when they played here in 1993 and 1994/5? back when they were at their prime, but can't understand why people are still so mad about them. They're just so dated and never progressed.. Can't listen to them anymore at all!

Also agree with people who said U2 - can't stick them at all and AC/DC are highly overrated. I think most of their songs sound the same, although I'll admit they are great live performers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I was gonna post a load of bands that would probably píss a load of people off, but since that's been done already for like 9 pages it seems that that sort of elitism wouldn't really be all that non-conformist.

So, eh, in the context of this thread, "It's all down to personal opinion man, music shouldn't be about fighting, it should be about peace and flowers and unity and the celebration of diversity of opinion".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I was gonna post a load of bands that would probably píss a load of people off, but since that's been done already for like 9 pages it seems that that sort of elitism wouldn't really be all that non-conformist.

So, eh, in the context of this thread, "It's all down to personal opinion man, music shouldn't be about fighting, it should be about peace and flowers and unity and the celebration of diversity of opinion".
    Oh, how boring!!!! Go on, be elitist....it feels good!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

kona wrote: »
    well, rock is infested with wanna bes and the like these days, they are all generic (...) Motley crue, Ratt, scorpions, priest...etc etc.....
    at least that was rock/metal with its balls out...now its just pussy ass losers in skinny ties. they slag motley for being glam, eh........at leat motley were taking the piss, theses feminine ass holes are serious:D:D:o:eek:

I had a feeling when you posted that Nirvana ended the "greatest decade" of rock that you were going to report back with those.... Even AC/DC by the end of the 80's were a shadow of their former self. Metallica had the black album to take them into the 90's but then died off. For the record, you're right, Nirvana did kill off all those 80's bands.

For that, even if their songs were ****e (which as it happens they're not), we should bow down before them as gods. Just like Punk had to be invented just because the vocabulary didn't exist to describe how s.hit the 70's was, Grunge had to be created to remind people that the 80's was almost as bad.

Eh the point about Motley Crue was that they WEREN'T taking the piss. They were dead straight serious. You don't set yourself on fire night after night if you're a cheeky monkey taking the piss out of glam rock. Their songs were generic 80's ****e of the worst kind. As for Priest and the Scorpions... god help you. The Darkness were taking the piss. The Crue were just pissed drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I had a feeling when you posted that Nirvana ended the "greatest decade" of rock that you were going to report back with those.... Even AC/DC by the end of the 80's were a shadow of their former self. Metallica had the black album to take them into the 90's but then died off. For the record, you're right, Nirvana did kill off all those 80's bands.

For that, even if their songs were ****e (which as it happens they're not), we should bow down before them as gods. Just like Punk had to be invented just because the vocabulary didn't exist to describe how s.hit the 70's was, Grunge had to be created to remind people that the 80's was almost as bad.

Eh the point about Motley Crue was that they WEREN'T taking the piss. They were dead straight serious. You don't set yourself on fire night after night if you're a cheeky monkey taking the piss out of glam rock. Their songs were generic 80's ****e of the worst kind. As for Priest and the Scorpions... god help you. The Darkness were taking the piss. The Crue were just pissed drunk.

metallica and ac/dc did get repeditive after the 80s.

Motley were takig the piss, their image evolved with every album along with their music, if you actually listened to it you can hear and see the difference.

Motley were great they didnt wreck the 1980s it was **** like, keel,kix and poison that copied motley crue around 1985(theatre of pain).

this era was the only stage the crue went around in full on glam make up.
    TFFL,Shout(not glam at ALL), Girls and feelgood, were not glam. feelgood however leaned a bit towards glam, but this was when they were going for their no1 so had to go generic.

PS. van halen, kiss, ac/dc ,poison, ratt, MOTLEY CRUE, i suppose are all now back to remind us how **** the 90s and 00s were:rolleyes::rolleyes:

grunge is a load of ****, its on par with this "indie" ****e hanging around like a bad smell,
    i also find most people i talk to who like grunge and thrash are 100% up their own arse.

Motlley and the 80s were all about fun, music has gone all to serious.:rolleyes:

the darkness made you think they were taking the piss as it gave people a excuse to buy their records without admitting to liking glam rock/hard rock/sleaze rock.

metallica and ac/dc did get repeditive after the 80s.

Motley were takig the piss, their image evolved with every album along with their music, if you actually listened to it you can hear and see the difference.

They say otherwise about whether they were taking the piss in their biography. I think I'll take their word over yours.
    Motley were great they didnt wreck the 1980s it was **** like, keel,kix and poison that copied motley crue around 1985(theatre of pain).

this era was the only stage the crue went around in full on glam make up.
    TFFL,Shout(not glam at ALL), Girls and feelgood, were not glam. feelgood however leaned a bit towards glam, but this was when they were going for their no1 so had to go generic.

Again, the photographic evidence in their Bio doesn't support that. The photgraphic evidence shows they looked like drunk raggedy comedy clowns 24/7 for the whole of the 80's.
    PS. van halen, kiss, ac/dc ,poison, ratt, MOTLEY CRUE, i suppose are all now back to remind us how **** the 90s and 00s were:rolleyes::rolleyes:

KISS never went away because they're a cynical marketing machine run by the most avaricious man in music. The Crue did a huge comeback tour -
    http://dieselsweeties.com/archive.php?s=1244.
    I don't see Van Halen, AC/DC, ratt, poison, or whitesnake doing a huge comeback and storming the charts any time soon.
    grunge is a load of ****, its on par with this "indie" ****e hanging around like a bad smell,
    i also find most people i talk to who like grunge and thrash are 100% up their own arse.

Motlley and the 80s were all about fun, music has gone all to serious.:rolleyes:

Well that's a persuasive point of view. Those grunge ****, writing actual songs about feelings and thoughts, and trying to let the music speak for itself, rather than writing "girls girls girls", wearing dorky spandex, and letting off a load of pyro. The moment The Crue started to write serious ****, their career dropped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

How about these cheese-monkeys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkysjcs5vFU

They say otherwise about whether they were taking the piss in their biography. I think I'll take their word over yours
    Again, the photographic evidence in their Bio doesn't support that. The photgraphic evidence shows they looked like drunk raggedy comedy clowns 24/7 for the whole of the 80's...
    :D:D:
    you grunge heads really do need to get off your high horse.:D:D:

a opinion is a opinion, you dont persuade it, and you are a gob****e and need to get out more if you feel you need to try to change a persons opinion.

Motley were junkies and alco's for the best part of the 80s, id be suprised if they can remember most of it.
    nowhere in the dirt do the say they were serious, they did it because of their musical influences, and the fact that nikki knew the band needed a image to stand out and sell records(funny how it works).
    if you read heroin diaries, nikki thought mexicans were attacking him every day, flushing his heroin down the jacks, then calling his dealer for more, they didnt have a clue.

Well that's a persuasive point of view. Those grunge ****, writing actual songs about feelings and thoughts, and trying to let the music speak for itself, rather than writing "girls girls girls", wearing dorky spandex, and letting off a load of pyro. The moment The Crue started to write serious ****, their career dropped off.

What are serious songs??eh??:confused::confused: the ones that moan abot suffering in life??
    motley wrote songs about what their life was like,and they are serious as a heart attack, nirvana wrote songs that are full of ****e,depressing crap. cobain was such a depressed arsehole he blew his head off.
    but unfortunatly put us through his **** songs.
    as for dorky spandex, id have no problem looking dorky if it got me in bed with too many playmates:D:D
    as for pyro, if i pay money to see a gig, i want to see a stage show,girls and explosions not some depressing gob****e, just standing still moaning about life, if i want to hear it ill get the cd, or join the samaritans or become a priest.

KISS never went away because they're a cynical marketing machine run by the most avaricious man in music. The Crue did a huge comeback tour .I don't see Van Halen, AC/DC, ratt, poison, or whitesnake doing a huge comeback and storming the charts any time soon.

Van halen are back with david lee roth and are selling out areanas worldwide,with massive demand for tickets, they are playing madison square garden tonite:D
    whitesnake and def leppard are playing the odyssey arena in june, ratt were ment to play belfast last month, Poison are selling out arenas in the us on tour, they also had a song on the X-box ad.
    all of these bands are on the new guitar hero.
    id put money on a new ac/dc album and chinese democracy going top10 at least.
    motley crue, ac/dc/, metallica and guns N roses are roumoured to have new albums on the way.

Motley at download last year had a massive crue to their stage, people were turned away.
    Dont see nirvana coming back:eek: dont see flipper up to much, foo fighters are full of ****e...suppose holdig the nirvana torch of ****.

Kiss and priest are headlining download too, so 1980s metal and sleaze rock is bigger that grunge now;)

a opinion is a opinion, i think grunge is ****, and insulting my music taste wont change this, it just makes me laugh at you tbh,

build a bridge or get laid or somthing:p

How about these cheese-monkeys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkysjcs5vFU

what do you think of black sabbath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I have to laugh at the sh1te coming out of people in this thread. A lot of bands being named aren't even rock! At least get your genre's right.

I'm not going to name any bands I don't like (well except for pretty much anything emo which deserves to die), but I am going to comment on a couple of bands named:

Led Zeppelin: Plant was 22 when he started work on Stairway to Heaven. I don't give a sh*t who you think you are, can you imagine ever being able to write what is consistently considered one of the greatest rock tracks ever recorded at that age (never mind being older)?

The Jimi Hendrix Experience? Nothing you take for granted now would exist as you know it if hadn't been for the Jimi Hendrix Experience. And as an interesting nugget of information on just the sheer insane visionary hendrix was: Voodoo Chile started out as a 15 minute blues jam in-studio and inside of an hour became the song we all know is again considered a rock anthem.

Thin Lizzy? The Irish music scene before Lizzy was pretty much non-existent and/or very 'twee'. They also recorded what is considered one of the greatest live rock albums ever produced; "Live and Dangerous".

Lemming wrote: »
    I have to laugh at the sh1te coming out of people in this thread. A lot of bands being named aren't even rock! At least get your genre's right.

would you class led zep as rock or as metal??

but yes its kinda like a **** music thread,as oppsed to a crap rock music thread but i think people have alot to get off their chest:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Not metal, since metal didn't exist when they started playing. They, and a select few other bands are most definitely the precursor to Metal; a sort of prototype for what became Metal. So I'll say 'hard rock' to find somewhere in the middle between the two poles.

But I was not referring to bands such as L.Z. or Sabbath who can be argued either way (i.e. if asked back in the 70s if they were heavy, yes. Asked after the 80s? No.). I'm referring to people coming out with the likes of the Stereophonics and Amy Winehouse as 'rock' acts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Bloc Party - How Depressing
    Snow Patrol - " " " "
    Counting Crows
    The Feeling
    Fratellis
    Hoosiers
    Kaiser Chiefs
    The Kooks
    Linkin Park
    Paramore
    Racontuers
    Ramones
    The Zutons
    I could keep going but i wont.................

Not metal, since metal didn't exist when they started playing. They, and a select few other bands are most definitely the precursor to Metal; a sort of prototype for what became Metal. So I'll say 'hard rock' to find somewhere in the middle between the two poles.

But I was not referring to bands such as L.Z. or Sabbath who can be argued either way (i.e. if asked back in the 70s if they were heavy, yes. Asked after the 80s? No.). I'm referring to people coming out with the likes of the Stereophonics and Amy Winehouse as 'rock' acts.

just wondering as they and black sabbath get lumped in with metal.

as for rock..................tabloids and mainstream radio use the term rocker for everybody, so far ive heard westlife, lenny kravitz, prince, the police, take that and lilly allen.
    saw madonna labelled as a punk:eek:lordi were even called death metal:D:D:D:D, id love to play proper death metal for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Its been already said but a lot of bands mentioned don't exactly fit into either metal or rock. Bands like Linkin Park are so sh1te that they have a category of their own, Nu MeTaL, isn't it?

Anyway, my list:

Lost Prophets and most bands following their style: The lead singer can't even sing. Heard him sing live....
    Iron Maden: Never got into them. Don't like their sound. Never did anything ground breaking IMO
    Green Day
    Blink 182
    Sum 41
    Van Halen
    Bon Jovi

(Why do people hate AC-DC so much? Back in Black is a great album! And Led Zepplin?! C'mon people, they basically invented metal, thats worth something. I understand that people can be sick of U2 as well, but in fairness few bands can boast a carrier of nearly 3 decades.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I'm not going to name any bands I don't like (well except for pretty much anything emo which deserves to die), but I am going to comment on a couple of bands named:

Led Zeppelin: Plant was 22 when he started work on Stairway to Heaven. I don't give a sh*t who you think you are, can you imagine ever being able to write what is consistently considered one of the greatest rock tracks ever recorded at that age (never mind being older)?

The Jimi Hendrix Experience? Nothing you take for granted now would exist as you know it if hadn't been for the Jimi Hendrix Experience. And as an interesting nugget of information on just the sheer insane visionary hendrix was: Voodoo Chile started out as a 15 minute blues jam in-studio and inside of an hour became the song we all know is again considered a rock anthem.

Thin Lizzy? The Irish music scene before Lizzy was pretty much non-existent and/or very 'twee'. They also recorded what is considered one of the greatest live rock albums ever produced; "Live and Dangerous".

Bang on;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Léan wrote: »
    Emperor - Over rated anyone?

No? One of those acts that will never get the recognition for their creativity that they deserve, to be honest. The scope of their music is magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Blackthorn1011

Bear in mind, Jimi Hendrix was the first to be descibed as Heavy Metal.

So for their time Led Zepp could definately be classed as metal.

But as in todays standards, i doubt they are.

• Advertisement

:D:D:
    you grunge heads really do need to get off your high horse.:D:D:

a opinion is a opinion, you dont persuade it, and you are a gob****e and need to get out more if you feel you need to try to change a persons opinion.

Why would I want to change your opinion? I'm just disproving the crap you're spouting. Think whatever you like, but it doens't mean you're right, or even that you know what you're talking about.

PS: thanks for the personal abuse. Makes you seem even more intelligent.
    Motley were junkies and alco's for the best part of the 80s, id be suprised if they can remember most of it.
    nowhere in the dirt do the say they were serious, they did it because of their musical influences, and the fact that nikki knew the band needed a image to stand out and sell records(funny how it works).

So you're saying the 80's was all about style over substance, image over content? Funny... that's exactly what I said. And in the space of two sentences, you're arguing on the one hand they were too pissed and stoned to remember the 80's, then referring to their autobiography... about themselves.... in the 80's... based on their memories.... Ahh. Hmm.
    if you read heroin diaries, nikki thought mexicans were attacking him every day, flushing his heroin down the jacks, then calling his dealer for more, they didnt have a clue.

So Nikki Sixx was a crazy nutjob addict who was more concerned with his habit and insanity than the content of the music?
    What are serious songs??eh??:confused::confused: the ones that moan abot suffering in life??

Serious songs are ones like Motley tried to write in the 90's, but failed miserably at, because, flatly put, their songs aren't very good. Take away the friendly cover of the hilariously bad 80's, and there's nothing to see.
    motley wrote songs about what their life was like,and they are serious as a heart attack,

Should I multi-quote you here, where you said before they were taking the piss? Either you're unable to string a coherent thought together or you're simply flailing about for whatever retort you can come up with at the time.
    nirvana wrote songs that are full of ****e,depressing crap. cobain was such a depressed arsehole he blew his head off.
    but unfortunatly put us through his **** songs.

Well done. Suicide == bad songwriting. Interesting point.

Still, at least he didn't go drunk driving and killing people, eh?
    as for dorky spandex, id have no problem looking dorky if it got me in bed with too many playmates:D:D

That would only have worked in the 80's dude.
    as for pyro, if i pay money to see a gig, i want to see a stage show,girls and explosions not some depressing gob****e, just standing still moaning about life, if i want to hear it ill get the cd, or join the samaritans or become a priest.

Nothing wrong with Pyro and putting on a good show. But it's nice to know that without the pyro and spinning drum kits, the band have something else to offer.
    Van halen are back with david lee roth and are selling out areanas worldwide,with massive demand for tickets, they are playing madison square garden tonite:D
    whitesnake and def leppard are playing the odyssey arena in june, ratt were ment to play belfast last month, Poison are selling out arenas in the us on tour, they also had a song on the X-box ad.
    all of these bands are on the new guitar hero.

Lots of bands were on the new X-Box ad. And lots of equally cheesy bands are on Guitar Hero games. Since you're playing them with a fake guitar controller, we probably shouldn't hold that up as definitions of musical excellence.
    id put money on a new ac/dc album and chinese democracy going top10 at least.

Anyone who puts money on Chinese Democracy even coming out is beyond optimistic at this stage.
    motley crue, ac/dc/, metallica and guns N roses are roumoured to have new albums on the way.

Rumoured and releasing are not the same thing. Released and "any good" are also not the same thing.
    Motley at download last year had a massive crue to their stage, people were turned away.

I think the Diesel Sweeties cartoon covered that, and the Van Halen reunion too.
    Dont see nirvana coming back:eek: dont see flipper up to much, foo fighters are full of ****e...suppose holdig the nirvana torch of ****.

Foo Fighters are still selling big amounts of records, and have been for a long time. Their career is a lot more credible than Motley's.
    Kiss and priest are headlining download too, so 1980s metal and sleaze rock is bigger that grunge now;)

But the mulleted metal heads never gave up on cheesy spandex rock. Grunge killed off its credibility, not its fanbase.
    a opinion is a opinion, i think grunge is ****, and insulting my music taste wont change this, it just makes me laugh at you tbh,

build a bridge or get laid or somthing:p

Grow up. Have kids. Attempt thought. Try and remember what you posted last time when you're posting this time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement