Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

most awful rock bands

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Off your high horse slutmonkey!!!!!!!!!! :D

Disproving a opinion is equal to trying to change a opinion.
    My opinion is as valid as yours and the next persons, sorry if this is hard to swallow!
    you know more about grunge, i know its **** and to me thats too much to know about it.:D:D

I said image helps sell records. If a band has no image, they dont stand out and their chances of being at least noticed drop.
    otherwise there is a strong chance motley may only have been another band like london, great but never quite made it.
    you dont get to the top on talent alone(pussycat dolls, dustin the turkey are extreme examples)
    As for my point of them being pissed and stoned, it was a response to you bringing the dirt into it, i was saying take the dirt with a pinch of salt.
    motleys music was serious, the image was not.

Led zeppelin, Aerosmith, The doors,Black sabbath, these bands were all ****ed on drugs and ozzy said it himself they were all he cared for, they still wrote ****ing savage songs which today are regarded as the best.
    so yes id say even though nikki was ****ed he wrote some amazing songs.
    IMO you have to be high to write good songs, makes you think in a different way.
    Id say most pop songs are written sober:p

Motleys 90s stuff was amazingly good, imo they were ahead of the times when they wrote it.Lots of amazing stuff doesnt go no1 because mainstream music is like sheep it shifts around the hype. So i wouldnt rely on album charts to guage the class of a band.

ye cobain didnt drink drive and get done for manslaughter, but id be willing to bet he has killed more and maimed more han vince did via kids committing suicide and citing him as the catalyst.

Take that are selling more records than the foo fighters do you mean to say take that are better than the foo fighters and more credible??
    Id be pissed off if motley turned all crap and mainstream pop like the foo fighters.:D

motley were never mulleted, afaik def leppard were the only ones with mullets,the closest ,motley came was dont go away mad(just go away) video.

Bear in mind, Jimi Hendrix was the first to be descibed as Heavy Metal.

So for their time Led Zepp could definately be classed as metal.

But as in todays standards, i doubt they are.

id say they are metal, id say the more modern stuff will fall into sub genres, which evolved for the base sound of zep and sabbath .NO??

such as
    black, death , speed, thrash, hardcore, grindcore,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

kona wrote: »
    Id be pissed off if motley turned all crap and mainstream pop like the foo fighters.:D
    Why would they need to turn all crap and mainstream pop? In the 80s that's what they were....

And most members of grunge bands were heavily into drugs too. I don't see what your point on that note is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

In light of that other thread, I feel compelled to add Enter Shikari to this thread, even if the concept of this thread goes against logic. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Airbourne , even worse than the darkness, motley crue (tommy lee drumming in a pair of jocks....) and andrew WK put together..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Should have mentioned them long ago but to my mind the Red Hot Chili Peppers are truly awful. Are they legally obliged to mention California in every song they write?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

as great as led zeps music is, some of the lyrics are pretty dodgy alright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Off your high horse slutmonkey!!!!!!!!!! :D

Disproving a opinion is equal to trying to change a opinion.
    My opinion is as valid as yours and the next persons, sorry if this is hard to swallow!
    you know more about grunge, i know its **** and to me thats too much to know about it.:D:D

Your opinion is as valid as the logic you base it on.
    If the next person is as illogical as you, then both opinions have equal validity.
    As you haven't yet managed to maintain a coherent (never mind logical) argument as to why the Crue have any musical credibility, your opinion is at best foundering.

Likes and dislikes cannot be disproved. Opinions however must be based on some form of evidence, and therefore can be disproved.
    I said image helps sell records. If a band has no image, they dont stand out and their chances of being at least noticed drop.
    otherwise there is a strong chance motley may only have been another band like london, great but never quite made it.
    you dont get to the top on talent alone(pussycat dolls, dustin the turkey are extreme examples)
    As for my point of them being pissed and stoned, it was a response to you bringing the dirt into it, i was saying take the dirt with a pinch of salt.
    motleys music was serious, the image was not.

I was bringing the Dirt into it to disprove your assertion that Motley were taking the piss. Their image was also not a piss take, as I pointed out before, people who are taking the piss do not set themselves alight with no safety precautions night after night. I also referred to it to prove my points about their clownish get-up. I also used it to highlight the point that you are constantly contradicting yourself.
    Led zeppelin, Aerosmith, The doors,Black sabbath, these bands were all ****ed on drugs and ozzy said it himself they were all he cared for, they still wrote ****ing savage songs which today are regarded as the best.
    so yes id say even though nikki was ****ed he wrote some amazing songs.
    IMO you have to be high to write good songs, makes you think in a different way.
    Id say most pop songs are written sober:p

You have to be high to write good music, eh? "Interesting" point again. I can disprove that quite simply:
    Was Mozart whacked out of it on ketamine and speedballs when he was composing at age 5?
    No. Therefore your opinion on whether or not you have to be high to write music is entirely invalid.
    Motleys 90s stuff was amazingly good, imo they were ahead of the times when they wrote it.Lots of amazing stuff doesnt go no1 because mainstream music is like sheep it shifts around the hype. So i wouldnt rely on album charts to guage the class of a band.

What, when they had a new guy in the band writing songs and guitar parts for them you mean? Or when they reacted to grunge by attempting to ditch their hairspray, glam, and pyro-laden past? As Nikki put it:
    "I remembered too late that kids don't go to a Motley Crue concert to think about their own mortality, they go to a Motley Crue concert to hopefully get a blowjob in the back of a car."
    Which proves the point that their lack of artistic credibility dooms them evermore to be a cheesy glam rock band reliant on massive stage shows to cover over the cracks in their musical ambitions.
    ye cobain didnt drink drive and get done for manslaughter, but id be willing to bet he has killed more and maimed more han vince did via kids committing suicide and citing him as the catalyst.

a) Dead people aren't to blame for anything that people do in their name.
    b) Because they're dead you see.
    Take that are selling more records than the foo fighters do you mean to say take that are better than the foo fighters and more credible??

JC 2k3 already answered this.
    motley were never mulleted, afaik def leppard were the only ones with mullets,the closest ,motley came was dont go away mad(just go away) video.

I was talking about the mulleted fanbase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

You have to be high to write good music, eh? "Interesting" point again. I can disprove that quite simply:
    Was Mozart whacked out of it on ketamine and speedballs when he was composing at age 5?
    No. Therefore your opinion on whether or not you have to be high to write music is entirely invalid.

SM, trying to compare a classical music composer from approximately 300+ years ago with a rock band is the height of dishonest stupidity. Sorry, but it is. Mozart was however quite fond of living to excess with ye olde booze and what-not.

Secondly, Mozart was a child music prodigy. How many child rock music prodigies can you think of?

Thirdly, (and speaking from experience) composing classical music is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy different to writing any sort of modern rock/pop/whatever song.

Lemming wrote: »
    SM, trying to compare a classical music composer from approximately 300+ years ago with a rock band is the height of dishonest stupidity. Sorry, but it is. Mozart was however quite fond of living to excess with ye olde booze and what-not.

Secondly, Mozart was a child music prodigy. How many child rock music prodigies can you think of?

Thirdly, (and speaking from experience) composing classical music is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy different to writing any sort of modern rock/pop/whatever song.

I never suggested it was.
    It's merely the quickest, most simple, and most obvious retort to the idea that songwriting requires drug induced intoxication of some form. Maybe some artists need it. But that's not the same as "all artists require it"

• Advertisement

slutmonkey,

honestly i have lost sight of this argument.

but what i have sight of is that

a)YOU ARE illogical
    b)full of ****
    c)still on your high horse

i can accept that you dont like the crue and tbh i dont give a sh!t what you think about the crue.

you say i contradict myself?? you posts are all over the shop you attack one thing, i argue back, then you apply it to somthing else:confused::confused:
    WTF???

you cant accept that i dont like grunge. WHY NOT???

a opinion is a opinion and its as valid as anybody elses, youre perception of the person leads to you not accepting it.

So because i like the crue and glam rock, you think i wear a bra hanging off my belt,leopard skin and a mullet:rolleyes:
    so this in youre eyes makes my point full of ****, and my opinion as valid as a bus ticket from 1982.

this is because you see yourself as having a unquestionable taste in music, all your music collection is great music, all the other albums in the metal section are merely filler.
    when you go out you think you are the "big cheese", "the man" "I love grunge so get the **** out of my way".

get a life.:rolleyes:

The crue rock and Rock t the **** out of Nirvana:D:D

P.S Remember when you said glam has lost its credibility now and isnt relevant????

Guess who are back??

Queen

in the words of sebastian bach and skid row
    "this party is over so get the **** out"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Any of those bands with girls singers such as night wish or evanesence or what ever!

and bands like eliot minor and busted
    nickel back get on my tits too!

nirvana... slow decay of the mind

i really dont like queen either.

and really, pretty much just most bands that have ever been on/in kerrang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

slutmonkey,

a)YOU ARE illogical
    b)full of ****

i can accept that you dont like the crue and tbh i dont give a sh!t what you think about the crue.

you say i contradict myself?? you posts are all over the shop you attack one thing, i argue back, then you apply it to somthing else:confused::confused:
    WTF???

a opinion is a opinion and its as valid as anybody elses, youre perception of the person leads to you not accepting it.

So because i like the crue and glam rock, you think i wear a bra hanging off my belt,leopard skin and a mullet:rolleyes:
    so this in youre eyes makes my point full of ****, and my opinion as valid as a bus ticket from 1982.

this is because you see yourself as having a unquestionable taste in music, all your music collection is great music, all the other albums in the metal section are merely filler.
    when you go out you think you are the "big cheese", "the man" "I love grunge so get the **** out of my way".

P.S Remember when you said glam has lost its credibility now and isnt relevant????

Guess who are back??

Queen

F**king LMFAO!!!! :D

Best rant of 2008 hands down!!!!!!!!

F**king LMFAO!!!! :D

Best rant of 2008 hands down!!!!!!!!

glad you liked it;)

just waiting for slutmonkey to PM me his number and tell me he will kill me,(at least this is what happened earlier in the thread from irish bob gob****e!:D:D)

god glam really gets people, im well glamming up some nite for the laugh:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

glad you liked it;)

just waiting for slutmonkey to PM me his number and tell me he will kill me,(at least this is what happened earlier in the thread from irish bob gob****e!:D:D)

god glam really gets people, im well glamming up some nite for the laugh:D:D

Personally, I don't like glam either, but I aint gonna shoot another guy/girl down just cos they do!? That's so bloody childish.

Live n let live.

Personally, I don't like glam either, but I aint gonna shoot another guy/girl down just cos they do!? That's so bloody childish.

Live n let live.

bang on

apart from skangers....they should be shot tbh:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

bang on

apart from skangers....they should be shot tbh:mad:

Hahahahaha we discussed this before!!! Hahahahaa...

I tried to find the thread but I'm still banned from gigs&events :(

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Hahahahaha we discussed this before!!! Hahahahaa...

I tried to find the thread but I'm still banned from gigs&events :(

:p:p
    what for?? stupid mcd rubbish!!!??:D

ye skangers= drain on society.

paddys day is a showcase for their "talents":D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I never suggested it was.
    It's merely the quickest, most simple, and most obvious retort to the idea that songwriting requires drug induced intoxication of some form. Maybe some artists need it. But that's not the same as "all artists require it"

A rather poorly thought out retort. And incredibly wide of the mark as far as retorts go.

But ... all that said and done, I feel a Bill Hicks quote coming on:
    Bill Hicks wrote:
    Drugs have had a positive effect. If you don't believe that drugs have had a positive effect, when you go home tonight; take all your albums and f*cking burn them.

'Cause y'know what? All those bands who have enhanced your lives throughout the years .....

...... reeeeeeaallllllllllll f*cking high on drugs, 'kay?!!

Man the Beatles were so high they let Ringo sing a couple of tunes! Tell me they weren't partying?!! 'We all live in a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine .. '. Do you KNOW how f*cking high they were? THey had to pull Ringo off the ceiling with a rake to sing that song.

'John, get Ringo; he's in the corner. Hook his bell bottoms'
    'Wow!! look at him scoot!!
    'Ringo, you can come down now; Yoko's gone, we can party again!'
    Bill Hicks wrote:
    Lets look at it another way. All those bands today who don't do drugs and in fact speak out against them? ...... Boy they suck!!

Ball-less, souless, little corporate f*cking puppets; suckers of satan's cock each and every one of them!

"We're rock against drugs because that's what George Bush wants!".

slutmonkey,

There isn't an argument. An argument requires cogent thought. Two people with opposing points of view debating. What we have here is a ranting idiot spouting incoherent rubbish while someone points out the failings in his rants.

a)YOU ARE illogical
    b)full of ****

I wasn't on a high horse to begin with. You started ranting about grunge before I even posted on the thread. I merely pointed out the 80's was a hideous embarrassing artistic mess of a decade that grunge put an end to, just like punk put an end to the 70's. Since then, you've been rabidly frothing at the mouth, posting all kinds of contradictory rubbish, which I've been kind enough to expose for the tripe that it is.

Beggars the question why you're still attacking me then doesn't it. This is the problem. You claim one thing, then turn right around and disprove yourself. Then I point out you've shot yourself in the foot and you rant some more. I won't deny it's mildly entertaining but at this stage I'm beginning to feel like I'm unwittingly conducting a psychological experiment.
    WTF???

Confused doesn't begin to describe you. As you haven't managed to follow your own posts, I certainly don't expect you to follow mine from one post to another. You can't even seem to keep a focus within one single post, never mind a whole thread.

When did I not accept you don't like grunge? I never suggested you did like grunge. I suggested that your arguments (varied and wild as they are) are generally baseless ranting. It doesn't bother me that you don't like grunge. But if you're going to go from one post saying
    "Motley Crue were taking the piss" to defend your opinion, then
    "Motley Crue were deadly serious like a heart attack" to defend the same opinion, then I'm unable not to point out that you're talking through your arse and essentially whirling round plucking at excuses to defend an point of view you've no basis for.

Didn't I answer this once already?
    Likes and Dislikes have equal validity, because they're ephemeral and baseless.
    Opinions, however, have to have a source. Yours don't have any kind of source.

I'll explain it again.
    If you said
    "I like Motley Crue"
    Nobody can disagree with you.

If you say
    "Motley Crue were taking the piss"
    I can simply point to the passages in their autobiography where they are clearly not taking the piss, and say "See, you're wrong."
    Which is exactly what I did.

Again, you're applying my generalised "mulleted fanbase" comment to a specific individual (in the first case, the Crue themselves, in this case, you).
    Your opinion has no validity because you're spouting random, baseless, easily disproved gibberish to support it. What you wear, listen to, or look like has nothing to do with it.

Your Internet Glasses are working perfectly I see.

You were the one who originally posted that Grunge and Indie music (as a whole genre, not even a couple of specific acts) were a load of ****e.

You were the one who posted that 80's glam rock was superior in every way.

You were the one who started the whole argument. You're now getting pissy because somebody a) doesn't agree with you; and b) is poking very large holes in your various rantings.

Put up a poll: Which rocks harder:
    "Girls Girls Girls" by Motley Crue;
    "Gallons of Rubbing alcohol flow through the strip" by Nirvana

Guess who are back??

Queen

Queen have been allegedly " coming back" for years. Pretty much every 2 years like clockwork they're rumoured to be coming back. But they never do. You know why?

Their lead singer is dead and they've noone to replace the guy.

In the words of Sebastian Bach:
    "Where's my money? They kicked me out of the band and kept the name. That sucks man. What do you mean they were around years before I joined? That's my band man. Spare some change?"

• Advertisement

There isn't an argument. An argument requires cogent thought. Two people with opposing points of view debating. What we have here is a ranting idiot spouting incoherent rubbish while someone points out the failings in his rants.

I wasn't on a high horse to begin with. You started ranting about grunge before I even posted on the thread. I merely pointed out the 80's was a hideous embarrassing artistic mess of a decade that grunge put an end to, just like punk put an end to the 70's. Since then, you've been rabidly frothing at the mouth, posting all kinds of contradictory rubbish, which I've been kind enough to expose for the tripe that it is.

Beggars the question why you're still attacking me then doesn't it. This is the problem. You claim one thing, then turn right around and disprove yourself. Then I point out you've shot yourself in the foot and you rant some more. I won't deny it's mildly entertaining but at this stage I'm beginning to feel like I'm unwittingly conducting a psychological experiment.

Confused doesn't begin to describe you. As you haven't managed to follow your own posts, I certainly don't expect you to follow mine from one post to another. You can't even seem to keep a focus within one single post, never mind a whole thread.

When did I not accept you don't like grunge? I never suggested you did like grunge. I suggested that your arguments (varied and wild as they are) are generally baseless ranting. It doesn't bother me that you don't like grunge. But if you're going to go from one post saying
    "Motley Crue were taking the piss" to defend your opinion, then
    "Motley Crue were deadly serious like a heart attack" to defend the same opinion, then I'm unable not to point out that you're talking through your arse and essentially whirling round plucking at excuses to defend an point of view you've no basis for.

Didn't I answer this once already?
    Likes and Dislikes have equal validity, because they're ephemeral and baseless.
    Opinions, however, have to have a source. Yours don't have any kind of source.

I'll explain it again.
    If you said
    "I like Motley Crue"
    Nobody can disagree with you.

If you say
    "Motley Crue were taking the piss"
    I can simply point to the passages in their autobiography where they are clearly not taking the piss, and say "See, you're wrong."
    Which is exactly what I did.

Again, you're applying my generalised "mulleted fanbase" comment to a specific individual (in the first case, the Crue themselves, in this case, you).
    Your opinion has no validity because you're spouting random, baseless, easily disproved gibberish to support it. What you wear, listen to, or look like has nothing to do with it.

Your Internet Glasses are working perfectly I see.

You were the one who originally posted that Grunge and Indie music (as a whole genre, not even a couple of specific acts) were a load of ****e.

You were the one who posted that 80's glam rock was superior in every way.

You were the one who started the whole argument. You're now getting pissy because somebody a) doesn't agree with you; and b) is poking very large holes in your various rantings.

Put up a poll: Which rocks harder:
    "Girls Girls Girls" by Motley Crue;
    "Gallons of Rubbing alcohol flow through the strip" by Nirvana

Queen have been allegedly " coming back" for years. Pretty much every 2 years like clockwork they're rumoured to be coming back. But they never do. You know why?

Their lead singer is dead and they've noone to replace the guy.

In the words of Sebastian Bach:
    "Where's my money? They kicked me out of the band and kept the name. That sucks man. What do you mean they were around years before I joined? That's my band man. Spare some change?"

:D:D:D:D

plenty of people have said the music i listen to is ****e, motley, acdc etc, i didnt do a slutmonkey and get all offended, you need to get LAID, grab anything that appears female you will chillax

i just said i THOUGHT , that IN MY OPINION, grunge is ****e.lol

you couldnt swallow this.

most of what you used to expose my tripe is unfounded ****e tbh:)

opinions dont need fact or evidence, "in my opinion aliens are among us" random, but happy days.

now the governmant releasing a STATEMENT , A REPORT, etc will need evidence,

have youve gone to college??, tell us as some of the younger crowd can avoid the place.

your lack of reasoning/cop-on/education amazes me.

Lemming wrote: »
    A rather poorly thought out retort. And incredibly wide of the mark as far as retorts go.

But ... all that said and done, I feel a Bill Hicks quote coming on:

I was waiting for the bill hicks quote.

How is it "wide of the mark"?

"The mark" is the statement:
    "You have to be high to write music"

I simply pointed out one, simple, obvious, well known example that disproves that supposition, and the Bill Hicks quote as well. The fact is, you don't have to be high to write music. The fact that a lot of artists were high doesn't mean you have to be. Lots of people with no creativity, intelligence or artistry at all have been high. High != artistic achievement. Are all creative people automatically stripped of their abilities if they go on the wagon?

And the simple fact is there's just as much booze and coke and hookers and sleaze that hangs around corporate manufactured bland machine artists as there is around "serious" artists too. Britney Spears alone proves you don't have to be talanted, or credible, not to also be a crazy drug fiend wierdo.

have youve gone to college??, tell us as some of the younger crowd can avoid the place.

your lack of reasoning/cop-on/education amazes me.

I'll give you one piece of college advice, assuming you're capable of passing an exam:

Don't ever join a debating society.

You'll be horribly embarrassed, and you'll end up crying.

When did I not accept you don't like grunge? I never suggested you did like grunge.

in every sorry assed poorly thought out "special" reply.
    if you could accept it you wouldnt have replied.

just like i didnt reply to the people who dislike hard rock and 80s metal.

In a decade that gave us spice girls, take that wet wet wet, boyzone etc i cant believe you think 90s music is better than 80s, id rather warrant to zigga say ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

ill get banned if i say what i think of your attitude towards this, its abysmal:D

Youre probably irish so i can understand.( im irish too)

I'll give you one piece of college advice, assuming you're capable of passing an exam:

Don't ever join a debating society.

You'll be horribly embarrassed, and you'll end up crying.

i wouldnt bother with debating, i prefer to GET OUT MORE!
    so you are the **** on the debating team???

what college???

Institute of grunge is amazing??

points requirement...none

ha ha just heard kiss on the TV cant remember the last time i even hear grunge....because its lost its credibility and is out of date.

and sorry , punk was very much 70s not the 80s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

This thread's taken a turn for the worse, but with that title what do you expect? For the record i love cheesy 80s music AND grunge (the good grunge) in equal measure. By good grunge I mean Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and the like, not f*cking Nirvana.

All this is is two people that like different music that can't accept that music is something completely subjective. What're ye trying to do here? Do you think you're going to convince the other person they're wrong in their tastes? Grow the f*ck up seriously. It's music. Entertainment. Not a competition.

Parsley wrote: »
    This thread's taken a turn for the worse, but with that title what do you expect? For the record i love cheesy 80s music AND grunge (the good grunge) in equal measure. By good grunge I mean Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and the like, not f*cking Nirvana.

All this is is two people that like different music that can't accept that music is something completely subjective. What're ye trying to do here? Do you thinkk you're going to convince the other person they're wrong in their tastes? Grow the f*ck up tbh. It's music. Entertainment. Not a competition.

ive accepted it i dont give a **** about his tastes, likes/dislikes.

im dumbfounded by his ignorance tbh

They are clearly taking the piss, i anyways i shouldnt have to answer my music taste to anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think this one is done and dusted with. Some debate is always great, but this has gone too far into flamewar territory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement