Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to find cars (4x4s) that failed the NCT?

Options
  • 01-03-2008 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

After the great success of my holiday last year (driving to Mali in my old '94 Ford Fiesta which had failed the NCT) i'm planning my next trip already.

Unfortunately this time I don't have my own car to use (will give it to charity at the other end of the trip) so i'm looking for something suitable.

The beauty of the car last year was that it was worthless in Ireland as it had failed the test but drove 5500 miles with us accross the Sahara and is currently being driven around Mali by a very happy man named Alasko. Great to see it being used to the last and not dumped in Ireland somewhere.

Basically my ideal car would be a Toyota Hilux that has just failed the NCT on emissions or something. A 4x4,while not absolutely necessary, would be highly preferable both for us (as we can go to more interesting places along the route) and for the charity to use it at the other end. Also, if it failed the NCT on grounds of being seriously unsafe it wouldn't be suitable either obviously!!

Does anyone know where I could find cars which people are trying to get rid of after the NCT? Buy and Sell? Trade in that dealers are trying to get rid of? etc.

Me and my travelling companion are lowely students so it has to be cheap...

Any help is appreciated!!

Stoned Hippy

P.s. Mongolia is the planned destination.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Hey man fair play to you for your endeavours, good luck with the mongolia trip. As for the vehicle, I reckon places like this are the best places to be looking for cars that have failed the NCT. If you make a post on http://www.driver.ie also you might have some luck. Also, try http://www.jumbletown.ie as there are always vehicles being given away for free on it.

Hope that helps ya...

Head

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You may run into issues driving a non road legal car throught Europe. I doubt that insurance would cover also. Even if it failed emmissons most EU countries have enviromental laws and if checked could land you in trouble.

BTW I hope it does work out, try Buy and Sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

Thanks lads, checked out all your suggestions and looks like i'll find something there, asked for more details on that Pajero too!

In response to Del2005, i'm almost positive that you can get insured on a car with no NCT. Obviously you wouldn't be able to get taxed but i'm sure i'd make it to Rosslare!

To the best of my knowledge once you're out of the country you don't have to worry about tax as once you're in the country for less than a year (in the EU anyway) you don't have to pay tax for that country and they don't care about your country.

Finally, I can't see someone being pulled over in a foreign car and being given out to for emissions unless it's REALLY bad!

But they're definately things i'll have to check out during mid term next week (wuhoo!!)

Stoned Hippy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you're planning doing the mongol rally, you'd do well to note that the rules stipulate that the car must be completely unsuitable. That rules out a hilux or a pajero.

• Advertisement
Advertisement