Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Debadging

Options
  • 01-03-2008 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

I've a MK4 golf and i want to debadge the back except for the big VW logo. Whats the easiest way of doing it without having to bring it to the garage? And will i damage the paint under it? I heard about using fishing wire?? anyone know about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Hey man, Ive done it a few times. Very easy.

Get a hairdryer if you wish and head up the badge, this will soften the glue holding it to the car.

Then dental floss or fishing line would do just wo slip behind and move along untill it free the badge from the car.

You will prob be left with glue on the car now. I simple used an old rag and white spirt to clean it off but there are products you can buy to do the job.

Thats all you have to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭KidCapree

Cheers for that! So how long roughly do i hold the hairdryer over the badges for? and will the white spirits not take off the paint on the car? Sorry if these are basic questions

just a min or two with the hairdryer.
    I had no problem with the whitespirits. There loads of products in car shops i think one is called googlue or something that will do the job possibly better than the white spirits.

Im ture wd40 would work also as ive used this before to remove tar from the car and no paint problem from ider the wd-40 or white spirits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Or get hot water and pour it over the badge, and then get some rubbing compound (halfords stock it) or some wax and job done.

I wouldnt recomend the fishing wire approach! its very easy to mark the laquer (belive me i work in a body shop)

-VB-

cheers lads, did it earlier today using the fishing wire approach (before i saw yer replies). Worked grand, good bit of glue left so i just heated it a little with the hairdryer and used my finger to peel that off. Then some white spirits to get the little bits. Magic stuff, cheers!

• Advertisement

Thats the job. No problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

KidCapree wrote: »
    I've a MK4 golf and i want to debadge the back except for the big VW logo. Whats the easiest way of doing it without having to bring it to the garage? And will i damage the paint under it? I heard about using fishing wire?? anyone know about it?

What colour is your golf mines red would love to take off da golf letters but as my car is 99 worried paint will be dif under it.. How did yours work out for you

Vain wrote: »
    What colour is your golf mines red would love to take off da golf letters but as my car is 99 worried paint will be dif under it.. How did yours work out for you
    ]

mines black, newer then yours tho. Came out perfect. If the paint comes out a little faded go into Halfords and get yourself some TCut or something like that for red painted cars, put it on the cloth and rub it in. Should bring back the red paint but i cant see it being a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

KidCapree wrote: »
    ]

mines black, newer then yours tho. Came out perfect. If the paint comes out a little faded go into Halfords and get yourself some TCut or something like that for red painted cars, put it on the cloth and rub it in. Should bring back the red paint but i cant see it being a problem

sound for that

Advertisement