Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New fiction recommendations!

Options
  • 01-03-2008 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Not so much another one of those 'recommend me a book' threads, but can anyone recommend me some good new contemporary fiction released recently?? I think there's been a serious lack of good novels released in the last year or so, I was hoping this year things would pick up (last year was very lean imho). I've no problem reading older stuff (in fact it's my favourite usually) but I just feel I need to read something 'new'!

I'm thinking along the lines of the new Hanif Kureishi which looked vaguely interesting (and had a nice cover ;))

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I don't know if it's been discussed before but The Cheese Monkeys by Chip Kidd is definitely worth reading.

http://www.goodisdead.com/

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

Then We Came To An End by Joshua Ferris. A great first novel about office workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks guys - they both look like they might be worth a shot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I very much enjoyed "The End of Mister Y" by Scarlett Thomas. Very tight for a young author and hits the sweet spot where it works as both "popular fiction" and "literary fiction", so a fine choice whether you want to just switch off for a bit or want to read properly and think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

The Kite Runner or 1000 Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini are both excellent or an oldie I picked up second hand was The American Boy by Andrew Taylor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement