Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and Cons?? 220 SWIFT!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I had one a few years ago. It was a very accurate rifle. half inch at 100 yards. You will need a T8 reflex or similar. Swift scopes IMO are crap but will get you going.

€1200 is a bit steep for what is a 2nd hand gun.

Rifle new is approx €900, threading €130ish, moddy €245, swift scope depending on model €350ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

the ruger mk 2 in 220 swift is a great fox rifle on 2 counts , one is the calibre of course, but the other is that its a real fast handling rifle, this is something i miss since moving on to the 243 with 58 grain v max , the only
    downsides to the sporter weight rugers were firstly trigger pull which has to be remedied and the fact that the sporter weight barrel has a tendency to walk on target after 3 or 4 quick shots, then the light barrel must be allowed to cool,,but as to their accuracy, ive seen one loaded with 52 grain a-max over vihtavouri 160 shoot a .27 5 shot group @ 100 yds.;)

as a side note some of the last ones came with a target trigger which was a huge improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

anyone got a trigger pull scale that i can borrow

patbundy wrote: »
    anyone got a trigger pull scale that i can borrow

a set of cheap fishing scales that weigh in the desired range would suffice.;)

didnt think of that,thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Kareir

It depends, really.

If weight is an issue, the lighter ruger has the advantage, but the lighter barrel will mean faster heating, and the swift is very, very fast.

On the other hand, the Remington has a heavy barrel (0.820 Outside Diameter) But is quite heavy.

If i was walking with it, or something, i'd go for the ruger. But i wont be. so i bought the Remmy.

_Kar.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

In a perfect world i'd have both a lite ruger and a heavy barrel remy to suit all eventualities.:cool::cool::cool:

but it ain't perfect so i'll just have to be happy with my remy;)

Hezz700 wrote: »
    In a perfect world i'd have both a lite ruger and a heavy barrel remy to suit all eventualities.:cool::cool::cool:

but it ain't perfect so i'll just have to be happy with my remy;)

id agree hezz- the perfect world rifle rack would include-22lr for target,
    223, a couple of swifts, 243 remmy,25-06, 308, and 338 lapua and a 204 ruger for the sheer hell of it:D

223, a couple of swifts, 243 remmy,25-06, 308, and 338 lapua and a 204 ruger for the sheer hell of it:D

A man after my own heart::)

I'd also throw in a Snider .577 for good measure.:D

or a pennsylvania long rifle and a stone of pyrodex :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

A man after my own heart::)

I'd also throw in a Snider .577 for good measure.:D

Oh what the hell may aswell go for the Barrett light 50!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Kareir

nah, I'd love a .408 CheyTac.
    Bullets are made by turning solid metal on Lathes, and it's designed to still be supersonic at 2000 yards :p

_Kar.

:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Whats the typical cost of installing a target trigger on a Rugar swift?
    Also how would a lay person know if this was a later model which allegedly came with a target trigger?

TomBeckett wrote: »
    Oh what the hell may aswell go for the Barrett light 50!!

Nah, i tried one out while i was in Nevada and although i really liked it i'd find it extremly hard to justify the need for one to myself. Not to mention the FO

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Nah, i tried one out while i was in Nevada and although i really liked it i'd find it extremly hard to justify the need for one to myself. Not to mention the FO

Oh i Know that but oh id just love to have one and look at it :cool:
    Many of the local lads like to come into the local on their way home from
    shooting and brag about how big theres are!! Rifles now that is":rolleyes:
    can just imagine coming in with a 50cal:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Is this leading to another one of those "how big is your barrel?"-"it's not calibre sonny, it's placement" exchanges?

TomBeckett wrote: »
    Oh i Know that but oh id just love to have one and look at it :cool:
    Many of the local lads like to come into the local on their way home from
    shooting and brag about how big theres are!! Rifles now that is":rolleyes:
    can just imagine coming in with a 50cal:D:D

My little .308 does'nt have too much competition around here, but the 50cal would provide a comfortable lead:D:D:D

Sparks wrote: »
    Is this leading to another one of those "how big is your barrel?"-"it's not calibre sonny, it's placement" exchanges?

Probably.........:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Whats the typical cost of installing a target trigger on a Rugar swift?
    Also how would a lay person know if this was a later model which allegedly came with a target trigger?
    Well? anybody able to stick a quick price down here???????:p

• Advertisement

/

not sure of price ivan , i just had a smith sweeten mines down to 2lbs...... youll know if its the target trigger cos the old triggers were very heavy--just p:eek:ull it and see:D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

No it wouldn't; in the perfect world the 223 wouldn't exist. (The Americans/NATO would have adopted a better cartridge).

Sandy22 wrote: »
    No it wouldn't; in the perfect world the 223 wouldn't exist. (The Americans/NATO would have adopted a better cartridge).
    The 6.8 mm Nato perhaps?

Or maybe .280 british? ;)

quite right, great point:D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Got it in one.

Ecclesiastes 1:9

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Sika_Stalker

Well after three weeks the Fac arrived in the station, went in and picked it up this morning. just have to travel up the country to get the bloody thing now:(, but sappose the 3 hour journy will be worth it. Cant wait to start pushing pills out of it:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well after three weeks the Fac arrived in the station, went in and picked it up this morning. just have to travel up the country to get the bloody thing now:(, but sappose the 3 hour journy will be worth it. Cant wait to start pushing pills out of it:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

fair play ! and good luck with the rifle;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

hope you have many happy hours with it ;)

Advertisement