Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and Cons?? 220 SWIFT!

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

In firearms which are chambered for 220 swift ammunition , there seems to be mixed views on the longevity of serviceable barrel life with in the posters of this forum and in other shooting communities on the net.
    Its hard to ignore such concerns and as such with all thing the truth is somewhere in the middle;)..

I'm am wondering if barrel life can be extended by the my selection of ammunition for specifically this caliber and other similar styles of firearm?

My train of thought has forced me to think that excessive barrel velocities are partly to blame for this alleged ware.
    On the other hand it seems that shooters in some parts believe that throat erosion is a condition that arrives long before barrel ware and as such this is the quintessential erosion that swift owners refer to.

My conclusion are as follows,assuming the same amount of powder in the cartridge, smaller rounds travel faster and escape the throat area quicker so they are possible better for throat erosion but worse for overall barrel ware.
    Lager rounds have a lower muzzle velocity. Because of the delay in the expulsion of the round from the throat area cause by difficulty in a set amount of powder pushing a lager weighted round, there exists higher pressure for longer or at least the same pressure but for a longer time and hence a higher temperature in this area of the barrel(throat) and hence more ware by the corrosive gases burning in this reason for a longer time.

The above is IMO only i could be stalking in the wrong parish..

But if i am right, might there be any charts anywhere that might have this relation ship described in a graphical format.

And is there anything a shooter can do when selecting ammunition to reduce ware in any firearm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Ivan,

Don't worry about Barrel wear. All it means is going from .25MOA to .5MOA.

Firearms are meant to be fired. I haven't seen a production firearm with a sticker "FOR DISPLAY PURPOSES ONLY". Enjoy it. Its meant to be used.

Moly coated bullets are "supposed" to help erosion. I've opened a big can of worms now.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Gunter Mauser

"Is there anything a shooter can do when selecting ammunition to reduce ware in any firearm?" quote = [Ivanthehunter]

Jonty is right, give moly a go see what happens be warned throat erosion while a serious concern to the modern vigilant rifleman does not necessarily compensate for moly build up causing you more time cleaning than shooting your beloved swift, moly has drawbacks. In the end you probably will stay bare / naked can't go wrong with copper heads well tried and tested as they say . Below is a fine example of moly coated headed ammunition don't be shocked at what you see, if you have no understanding of what modern day technology is up to these days just close off your mind to all negativity, turn off all critical facultys fire a off a few boxes and see. Good shooting enjoy the swift

Would a shooter not be better to buy a good factory rifle with a good action and then go for a barrel upgrade to get better accuracy??Quote = [Ivanthehunter]

Yes Ivan, they are your words heed this advice well as you gave on to others, forget about twist rates all that stuff this will drive you insane. When you shoot out the swift go custom barrel with what ever twist you like as simple as that.

Baking soda wrapped up in some neat delivery device(a fish skin) quote = [Ivanthehunter]

What ever you dont try this on your swift or seagulls for that matter. It's all old wives tales taken home from the fishmarket retold over and over passed down the years.The swift will smell of fish every time you fire the gull is hardy with a constitution built like a dockers rear end.

Before you ask what to do.......

http://www.6mmbr.com/normamoly.html

http://www.zediker.com/articles/mcc.pdf

626128094_bcf3e8728e.jpg?v=0

Advertisement