Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When will new the VRT rates br revised?

Options
  • 01-03-2008 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I was looking at the new Golf Diesel Hybrid in Auto Express, and it only emits 89g/km of Co2. If all new cars revise down the co2 levels emmitted (eventually..although sooner rather than later i imagine). When do you think the Govt will revise downward the rates (that is the rates of C02 permitted..NOT the rate of vrt!).
    Or will the greens get all of the taxes transferred onto the petrol..as I should be IMO.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

It's supposed to be revenue neutral, so I'd be expecting rates to be revised (upwards) around budget time every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

JHMEG wrote: »
    It's supposed to be revenue neutral, so I'd be expecting rates to be revised (upwards) around budget time every year.

+1. If people buy greener cars then the tax take will go down. They will have to increase the tax to cover it.

Also it's a bit stupid to have reductions for new cars when they have already produced ~3 tonnes of CO2 just in manufacture. They should encourage reduce, reuse, recycle not replace, but thats for a different discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Del2005 wrote: »
    +1. If people buy greener cars then the tax take will go down. They will have to increase the tax to cover it.

Also it's a bit stupid to have reductions for new cars when they have already produced ~3 tonnes of CO2 just in manufacture. They should encourage reduce, reuse, recycle not replace, but thats for a different discussion.

No that wouldn't please the SIMI at all, therefore it's never going to happen. Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.

Not having a 2 tier road tax system for used cars under the new VRT(was supposed to be originally), but if the car pollutes 225 g/km of CO2 will pay the 2k's worth of road tax(even when an Irish car of similar vintage wouldn't pay) is the proof of the pudding being in the eating.

+1 to what the others said too btw.

Advertisement