Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Number plates

Options
  • 01-03-2008 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Can cops prosecute for no front number plate? I was told this is against the finance act so who prosecutes?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC 'cops' don't prosecute - the state does. the gardai are there to enforce the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Can cops prosecute for no front number plate? I was told this is against the finance act so who prosecutes?
    It depends on the type of vehicle. A vehicle with only one front wheel is exempt from having to display a front plate. All other vehicles must display on if in a public place.

Statutory Instrument No. 311/1982 - Road Vehicles (Registration and Licencing) Regulations 1982

26. (1) The identification mark of a vehicle shall, until it is scrapped, destroyed or sent permanently out of the State, be exhibited on a rectangular plate or on an unbroken rectangular surface forming part of the vehicle and in each case the identification mark shall conform as to lettering, numbering and otherwise, with the provisions set out in the Third Schedule to these Regulations.

(2) Subject to the provisions of sub-article (3) of this article, the identification mark of a vehicle shall be exhibited in the case of a vehicle, which has only one front wheel, on the back of the vehicle and in the case of any other vehicle on the front of and on the back of the vehicle in a vertical or nearly vertical position, so that every letter or figure of the identification mark is vertical or nearly vertical and is easily distinguishable, in the case of the letters and figures placed on the front of the vehicle, from in front of the vehicle and in the case of the letters and figures placed on the back of the vehicle, from behind the vehicle.

(3) Where one or more trailers of any kind are attached to a vehicle, a duplicate of the identification mark assigned to such vehicle shall be exhibited on the back of the rearmost trailer in the manner that the identification mark is required to be exhibited upon the back of the vehicle.

(4) No figures or letters and no design or ornamentation shall be placed near to the identification mark in such manner as to render it more difficult to read or distinguish the identification mark of a vehicle or trailer when in motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

It depends on the type of vehicle. A vehicle with only one front wheel is exempt from having to display a front plate. All other vehicles must display on if in a public place.
    I know I am talking about cars with 4 wheels
    Statutory Instrument No. 311/1982 - Road Vehicles (Registration and Licencing) Regulations 1982

26. (1) The identification mark of a vehicle shall, until it is scrapped, destroyed or sent permanently out of the State, be exhibited on a rectangular plate or on an unbroken rectangular surface forming part of the vehicle and in each case the identification mark shall conform as to lettering, numbering and otherwise, with the provisions set out in the Third Schedule to these Regulations.

(2) Subject to the provisions of sub-article (3) of this article, the identification mark of a vehicle shall be exhibited in the case of a vehicle, which has only one front wheel, on the back of the vehicle and in the case of any other vehicle on the front of and on the back of the vehicle in a vertical or nearly vertical position, so that every letter or figure of the identification mark is vertical or nearly vertical and is easily distinguishable, in the case of the letters and figures placed on the front of the vehicle, from in front of the vehicle and in the case of the letters and figures placed on the back of the vehicle, from behind the vehicle.

(3) Where one or more trailers of any kind are attached to a vehicle, a duplicate of the identification mark assigned to such vehicle shall be exhibited on the back of the rearmost trailer in the manner that the identification mark is required to be exhibited upon the back of the vehicle.

(4) No figures or letters and no design or ornamentation shall be placed near to the identification mark in such manner as to render it more difficult to read or distinguish the identification mark of a vehicle or trailer when in motion.
    And the garda should enforce that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

My Car has the proper number plate besides the fact the font isn't the standard.

Is this a problem? - Gaurds told me to remove it but to be honest its perfectly easy to read - Is this mentioned somewhere about the font having to be (What ever it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Webmonkey wrote: »
    My Car has the proper number plate besides the fact the font isn't the standard.

Is this a problem? - Gaurds told me to remove it but to be honest its perfectly easy to read - Is this mentioned somewhere about the font having to be (What ever it is)
    Black. Stroke width 10mm, height 70mm, width 36mm (except '1') afair. No actual font is stated.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Interesting, my Stroke Width is 10mm (on average at least - bit curvy places) and width is above 36mm , roughly 40mm but height is only 60mm :( - It is quite readable, hate to go change them just for sake of few mm. It is quite clear to read, just the font isn't really the most standard.

kbannon wrote: »
    IIRC 'cops' don't prosecute - the state does. the gardai are there to enforce the law.
    I know the garda prosecute on behalf of the state but I was told it was an offence against the finance act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

does that mean so that a funky robin reliant or whatever its called would need no plates...;)

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Interesting, my Stroke Width is 10mm (on average at least - bit curvy places) and width is above 36mm , roughly 40mm but height is only 60mm :( - It is quite readable, hate to go change them just for sake of few mm. It is quite clear to read, just the font isn't really the most standard.
    Deviations from standard measurements allowed are minimal (e.g. 1mm in 70mm). There are also specs for gap and hyphen sizes etc.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Deviations from standard measurements allowed are minimal (e.g. 1mm in 70mm). There are also specs for gap and hyphen sizes etc.
    Yep just read the whole lot there - they so specific. My number plate definitely doesn't comply with the specs :(

• Advertisement

I know the garda prosecute on behalf of the state but I was told it was an offence against the finance act
    Who else would you expect to be prosecuting you?

To answer your question - yes, they can and will prosecute you. Just get a plate and put it on.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The Gardai don't prosecute you, the DPP does.

Who else would you expect to be prosecuting you?

To answer your question - yes, they can and will prosecute you. Just get a plate and put it on.
    I have a plate on the front and back. My question related to who should prosecute the idiots who do not? As stated I was told it was "an offence contrary to section 139 of the finance act 1992."

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1992/en/act/pub/0009/sec0139.html#zza9y1992s139

I would have thought it would road traffic act and wasn't sure if the garda can prosecute for an offence under finance act

I have a plate on the front and back.
    My bad. :o
    My question related to who should prosecute the idiots who do not?
    Do you have a particular idiot in mind? Can't remember the last time I saw a vehicle missing its front plate.

Not your ornery onager

I know I am talking about cars with 4 wheels
    Your opening post didn't specify the type of vehicle. Don't get beligerant with us if you didn't place all the facts in front of us. Do you expect us to automatically presume the type of vehicle you refer to?
    The Finance Act refers to the actual registration of vehicles. The Statutory Instrument that I refer to above outlines what is required under this Act.
    I have a plate on the front and back. My question related to who should prosecute the idiots who do not? As stated I was told it was "an offence contrary to section 139 of the finance act 1992."

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1992/en/act/pub/0009/sec0139.html#zza9y1992s139

I would have thought it would road traffic act and wasn't sure if the garda can prosecute for an offence under finance act
    A Statutory Instrument is generally made under an Act. In this case it would be the Finance Act as it refers to the registration of a vehicle.

Your opening post didn't specify the type of vehicle. Don't get beligerant with us if you didn't place all the facts in front of us. Do you expect us to automatically presume the type of vehicle you refer to?

The Finance Act refers to the actual registration of vehicles. The Statutory Instrument that I refer to above outlines what is required under this Act.

A Statutory Instrument is generally made under an Act. In this case it would be the Finance Act as it refers to the registration of a vehicle.

where was i beligerant?I know I am talking about cars with 4 wheels was clarification that is all, and online spats are not for me,

"Can cops prosecute for no front number plate? I was told this is against the finance act so who prosecutes? " The question was who prosecutes that is all. And i have seen more cars with no front plates than 3 wheels
    Do you expect us to automatically presume the type of vehicle you refer to?
    you automatically presumed it had 3 wheels. And who is us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

it's a €1260 fine for incorrect number plates and its the Revenue Commissioners will fine you. you do'nt want to mess with those boys :p

greglo23 wrote: »
    it's a €1260 fine for incorrect number plates and its the Revenue Commissioners will fine you. you do'nt want to mess with those boys :p
    Thanks for you reply. Does that mean it is not a garda matter at all
    you do'nt want to mess with those boys
    No intention of doing.I have plates back and front

you automatically presumed it had 3 wheels
    I outlined the regulations and at no point did I mention 3 wheels!!!

I specified that a vehicle with one front wheel was exempt from having to display a front plate in a public place. Where are you getting this '3 wheel' presumption?

You came on here looking for help but seem to be antagonistic to anyone offering assistance. What is your problem? :rolleyes:

I outlined the regulations and at no point did I mention 3 wheels!!!

I specified that a vehicle with one front wheel was exempt from having to display a front plate in a public place. Where are you getting this '3 wheel' presumption?
    You came on here looking for help but seem to be antagonistic to anyone offering assistance. What is your problem? :rolleyes:
    You started the antagonism What is your problem? :rolleyes Grow up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gally

I,ve seen so many illegal and in some cases illegible plates(unless with a magnifier)that I,ve no pity if the culprits get fined severely!

Can't remember the last time I saw a vehicle missing its front plate.
    Just goes to show:

Today in George's St D2 I saw a red Mazda MX5 with a modified front end (looked sh!te imo) with no front plate - nowhere to fit it. Reg on back was 9*-D-5

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement