Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 - San Diego

Options
  • 01-03-2008 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone ever been on a j1 to america for the summer? Im going at the end of may until september to San Diego, really looking forward to it. Am just wondering if anyone has been to San Diego (or anywhere else), what did you think of it? I'm only 20, does anyone think i'll have hassle with drinking and clubs? any other relevent info is much appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to Independent, Youth & Student Travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

If you'll only be 20 while over there yes you will have huge trouble with drinking and getting into bars and clubs. I found California to be really conservative on the drinking issue. I lived in SD for 4 years and i would go to the same bar almost nightly and every night i would get stopped by the same bouncer and asked for ID even though i was eventually on first name basis with this fella. They fear the laws so much they have to been seen carding everyone who looks between 18 and 35. 7 of my friends came over one summer and even had trouble getting served with Irish driver's licenses because to them they are just a piece of paper and look fake. I was over just before Christmas again visiting and i found it hard to get served with my passport because i was told a new law was passed that states they can only accept ID's that have your weight, height and eye color on them. So it became a pain in the hole even trying to buy cans in 7-11 and Albertsons.

Anyways you will find drink. It just means you will more than likely be doing the house party and beach drinking. Or just head down to Tijuana.

I personally love San Diego. It's just so laid back and the weather is great. Except for June which is usually overcast. There's a good trolly line that goes most places although you will have to take buses now and then to go places the trolley doesn't reach.

My minds a blank right now but if you have any questions just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

I think you are wasting your time going over. Not only will you not get served but chances are you will be beaten up for being a windy boy. No one will give you a job because you support that men united team and anyway gally will only be crying coz ye are secret lovers and he'll miss you. He told me if you didn't go that he was going to ask you to go to England for a civil ceremony marriage. You've so much to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

Coronas - San Diego Song!
    "we sleep all day and we drink all night
    we are not wasting our time
    we rufuse to hide
    We're going out tonite!!!!!!!"

Anyway just wondering would an EU student card work for id over there??? It looks incredibly real, has hologram nationality and all that crap on it! Never failed me in Ireland when I was 17. Would it work?

Eh i just said that driver's license were rejected and that i found it difficult to get served with an Irish passport in November because it didn't have height, weight and eye color on it. So i doubt an EU student card will work. Just drink at parties and Mexico. The nightlife isn't the best in SD anyways. Well in comparison to here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Awesomo-4000

ya i heard tijuana was unreal. Is san diego cheap in comparison to ireland? do you know anywhere good to stay? ie reasonably cheap and close to everything!

TJ is good but if you go every week you may tired of it. A lot of people feel uneasy in the place because it is dirty and looks sleazy. It is a kip but just get a taxi at night back to the border and you'll be grand. Also don't wear a hood because i had coke put in it and then had a cop come over and look for a bribe not to arrest me. Stuff like that happens a fair bit if you're careless and being drunk you are usually careless. But recently they have worked to try clean it up. You can go a bit further south to Rosarito. A lot nicer, the nightlife is just as good and better looking women (if your male).

Food is cheap in San Diego and you can get cheap drink in the supermarkets and cheap clothes. But generally it is expensive enough. It's a little less expensive than New York. I reckon it's on par with Ireland but with the rate of the Euro against the Dollar you'd gain. But since you'll be working there and earning dollars you may find it expensive unless you bring a fair bit in the beginning to sustain you. Renting can be expensive but usually you get loads cramming into a house so it works out cheaper.

Pacific beach is the student area where most of the Irish seem to end up. That's where most of the nightlife is. Beach parties and such but locals told me that the cops have started cracking down on stuff like that in recent months. Downtown has a few bars and is a bus and a trolly ride away from PB. I personally would have been lost without a car as it is so spread out and you can't walk a lot of places because of the highways in the way. But it is manageable by bus. The trolley is good and reliable though. The nightlife is okay but nothing to write home about. Last orders is bang on 2. there is no finishing up drinks like over here. It is straight out the door at 2. Mission beach is okay too. Ocean beach isn't bad but it's a really hippie place. I liked it cause you met some mental people.

As i lived there long term my experience was probably different that most J1ers so i'm probably missing out on some of the stuff that they get up to or go to as most of my friends were either American or from around the world and we hung out in the suburbs most of the time and went on road trips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 spjhalion

If you'll only be 20 while over there yes you will have huge trouble with drinking and getting into bars and clubs. I found California to be really conservative on the drinking issue. I lived in SD for 4 years and i would go to the same bar almost nightly and every night i would get stopped by the same bouncer and asked for ID even though i was eventually on first name basis with this fella. They fear the laws so much they have to been seen carding everyone who looks between 18 and 35. 7 of my friends came over one summer and even had trouble getting served with Irish driver's licenses because to them they are just a piece of paper and look fake. I was over just before Christmas again visiting and i found it hard to get served with my passport because i was told a new law was passed that states they can only accept ID's that have your weight, height and eye color on them. So it became a pain in the hole even trying to buy cans in 7-11 and Albertsons.

I went over the summer just gone and only turned 19 there, had a fake drivers license and wasn't refused once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

Was in San Diego last summer and met a lot of J1ers down around Ocean Beach area and every single one of them was having hassle getting served. I am 26 and i had to bring passport and drivers licence to get a beer. Hang on until you are 21 if you can - why bother with the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Was there in 08 and I was 20 at the time! Its an amazing place , was down in mission beach in a hostel , most of us didnt bother with jobs as we could survive! I used to just get one of the lads to buy me drink in the off licence and we used to go down to the beach every night and have a fire and drink there could be around 30 -50 people drinking with us nightly its a great craic, and most of the lads that were 21 said they had better laugh on the beach then in the bars and cheaper ! Went to TJ every wednesday a bit scary to say the least , watch yourself and look after your mates! well worth going doh! free drink when I was there just pay $10 entry fee!San Diego Its full of irish people but also loads of people from across the USA ! well worth going there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 spjhalion

Does anyone have any suggestions for accommodation in San Diego? Stayed in Santa Barbara last year 8 guys in a 2bedroom, way to small so would need somewhere a big bigger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fiffy

Any advice on where is best place for J1 Students to get work in San Diego?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Anywhere outside it! You can try Petco park, Del Mar Races, places like that operate mostly during the summer so they tend to take on seasonal employees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 K-Tray

So I have only in the last few days made up my mind to go on a j1 hopefully to the USA. Around how much wold rent be in San Diego? I'm trying to add up how much it's gonna cost overall....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Hey. I was in booking my j1 a few days ago and when I was filling out the forms there was a specific section for San Diego. It says:

"San Diego: I (name) have been advised by USIT not to travel to San Diego due to the length of time to process Social Security cards, which may affect me obtaining employment."

Wasn't planning on going to SD anyway but thought the people here should know. You might still decide to go there, was just really surprised because no other destination was specifically mentioned on the form.

Well I got mine a year and a half ago within 3 days! Never thought it would be that quick. Rent can cost around $300 a month if you sleep 6 people in a one bedroom apartment. A lot of people do that in the Clairemont area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Casei11

i was there last year only got served with a passport,didnt work as was based in chicago,got cash in hand jobs there

• Registered Users Posts: 28 infidell

I'm planning on going this summer (2010). Anyone interested in sharing a house?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Br1anC89

I'm going this summer too with 4 friends. Was wondering where the best place to get cheap accomodation is and where the best place to get jobs is??

Do searches in the Clairemont area, they tend to allow month to month rentals, thats the biggest issue, a lot of places expect a years lease. And Clairemont is close enough to the beaches and downtown but public transport has room for improvement. I can't give any advice for jobs, two summers straight I worked 2 weekends at the Del Mar fair and unless you're gonna live up near there there's very little point looking! sandiego.craigslist.org has everything though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Br1anC89

Ok I'll check it up, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 zolons

Was there in 08 and I was 20 at the time! Its an amazing place , was down in mission beach in a hostel , most of us didnt bother with jobs as we could survive!

Heading to Cali this summer for two months on a tourist visa and gona travel around staying in hostels mostly... what was the hostel in mission beach like? How much did it cost nd did they have a maximum length of stay?

Anyone have any advice on where to hit up around California or advice on anything actually?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 xmuldoonx

infidell i myt be lookin to share a house!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 infidell

I'm still looking for people to share a house, I'm leaning towards huntington beach now, I've heard bad things about san diego, too crowded and hard to get work. Anyone Interested in sharing a house in the huntington beach area for summer 2010, contact me at infidell66@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

hey , me and 2 mates are heading over in the summer also. Im just wondering if anyone wants to share a house to bring rent down ? Around pacfic beach or clairemont seem to be the best craic. throw me a pm if anyone interested .

andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

awhir wrote: »
    hey , me and 2 mates are heading over in the summer also. Im just wondering if anyone wants to share a house to bring rent down ? Around pacfic beach or clairemont seem to be the best craic. throw me a pm if anyone interested .

andrew

Defo interested in this awhir..Will you be housing your piebald also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 san_diego_2010

Hey there are 3 of us heading over on the 1st of June looking to stay in pacific Beach area, are you still interested in sharing??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Hey there are 3 of us heading over on the 1st of June looking to stay in pacific Beach area, are you still interested in sharing??

yes we still are . Pm sent .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Im so jealous :(

Loved my time in San Diego

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Katecro

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to San Diego on June 4th until september. Staying in Coronado but will not know anyone so would be great to meet some of you guys out there! I'm 20yo, From ireland obviously (the north-not northern Ireland ;) ) I'm planning on playing with the Na Fianna Ladies Gaelic team if anyone is??

Ummmm, i'm looking for jobs atm but they are a bit scarce. I've already got a SSN so i'm lucky enough that way!

So yeah, would be good to talk to some of you :)

Kate

Advertisement