Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 - San Diego

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Katecro

Hi Irish Outreach,

You said to register before we go to SD? Is this necessary or are we ok to just drop in?

Kate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Its not necessary, but with the amount of people they get every summer they prefer to have you register beforehand. They keep track of everyone coming and who's calling in, they'll also try help with jobs and accommodation too. I'd suggest registering, that way they can allocate you a job if they get one before people who haven't registered.

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Its not necessary, but with the amount of people they get every summer they prefer to have you register beforehand. They keep track of everyone coming and who's calling in, they'll also try help with jobs and accommodation too. I'd suggest registering, that way they can allocate you a job if they get one before people who haven't registered.

Ok, Thanks for the help Lil_Lisa

awhir wrote: »
    hey , me and 2 mates are heading over in the summer also. Im just wondering if anyone wants to share a house to bring rent down ? Around pacfic beach or clairemont seem to be the best craic. throw me a pm if anyone interested .

andrew

Hiya, When u heading to SD?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Katecro wrote: »
    Hiya, When u heading to SD?

hey , heading the 1st of june till september.there is 6 of us at the moment and we are looking for afew more for cheap accomodation.

• Advertisement

Ahh rite ok, im heading th 4th june until sept. I'm staying with a friend of my families but maybe i could meet all of uns when were out there for a laugh? Are u playing football or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Muffin Head

Hey guys, myself and a friend are heaing over the 8th of June, we havent got accomadation sorted so if any of you'z want to share drop me a line at maggie.hyland1@gmail.com thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Extrafree

Myself and a friend are hittin San Diego on the fourth of june and could do with a few people to share accom to cut down rent. If anyones interested contact me afarrell22@gmail.com

Extrafree wrote: »
    Myself and a friend are hittin San Diego on the fourth of june and could do with a few people to share accom to cut down rent. If anyones interested contact me afarrell22@gmail.com

4th June..You're not on the 12.50 flight to chicago from Dublin are ya? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I did the J1 in SD in 2006, had the time of my life...as it happens I'm going back in two weeks to meet up with all the friends I made there.

My Tips:

DONT LIVE IN MISSION/PACIFIC BEACH!!! It will be hard to resist as all the Irish will flock there, it will be party central and generally fun all about ya however after about a week you'll have to start working. In my time there some of my friends shared a house with 20 people...it was a great laugh for about a week but when people had to begin working the trouble started. Girls fighting, the token rich kid that is siphoning cash from the parents so therefore wants to drink and party all the time. Got to the stage that my friends could not sleep ,keep clothes clean etc.

I suggest living in Ocean Beach/downtown SD

2ND tip:

SEEK OUT A JOB IN THE ZOO!!

This made the trip for me and my GF, we both were offered jobs in Seaworld but on the day offered we had seen an ad in the paper for the San Diego Zoo so we went there and landed a couple of brilliant jobs. Not only that but none of the thousands of Irish in SD had sought out work there so we were as rare as the white Siberian Tiger in the eyes of the Americans (Just as white too). We were also rewarded with meeting many great friends because we left the comfort zone that so many of the other Irish wanted to stay in. I mean the majority of Irish, went over with other Irish, met more Irish over there and came home!!

3rd Tip:

TJ is no joke, it's really is one of the most dangerous places on the globe...it's great craic though so go but go straight to the club and straight back to the trolley...dont deviate!!

It's a seriously friendly place loved it and I cant wait to go back in 13 days. All the better that this time I have money to spend :D

By the way, nothing bad about SeaWorld really. Both SeaWorld and the Zoo pay the best but the Zoo was a truly amazing place to work and you got free tickets to SeaWorld.

To all going, hope my advice helps and have a blast. It's the best J1 destination.

• Advertisement

Katecro wrote: »
    4th June..You're not on the 12.50 flight to chicago from Dublin are ya? lol

No I'm on the 6:20am flight! to paris then LA. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Hey, is anyone having any luck with accomodation?Finding it very hard without a credit history or a US-based guarantor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SmeagolWynne

Hoping to go to San Diego next this summer but kinda need a job before going out. How would I go about getting one etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

When are people planning on heading there this summer? (2011)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 yourmother10

Davie89 wrote: »
    When are people planning on heading there this summer? (2011)

Hey,

Me & my friend are headed out to SD on the 27th May! Can't wait..:D when are heading out have you accommodation or anything sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

Myself and two others are heading out 29th May anyone found any links for jobs and accomodation??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 andrewrice22

Myself and about 3 friends are heading out in june, anyone got any advice or info on where to accomodation? Where's central area of San Diego? Is is hard to get a job?

There are several main parts in San Diego, its a bit of a sprawled out city.

There are 3 major beach areas:

Pacific Beach
    Mission Beach
    Ocean Beach

Then Downtown area, La Jolla is popular (but usually expensive)

There's College Area (SDSU), a bit inland but might be easier to get accommodation.

One place a lot of Irish go to is Clairemont area, its a short bus ride from the beach and might be possible to get short term accommodation there too.

Check out sandiego.craigslist.org for accommodation. I would suggest booking a hostel for the first week or two if you can't find accommodation, they are usually full of ads for rooms and places to rent/share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 andrewrice22

thanks, thats a great help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jayh6500

Hi, Me and a few friend are going to San Diego this summer on a J1 and don't know where to stay. Where is everyone going in San Diego this summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 seashore

jayh6500 wrote: »
    Hi, Me and a few friend are going to San Diego this summer on a J1 and don't know where to stay. Where is everyone going in San Diego this summer?
    Mission beach id say, was told to head there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Hey,

Me & my friend are headed out to SD on the 27th May! Can't wait..:D when are heading out have you accommodation or anything sorted?

Shall see you on the plane hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 j1student

I'm going to US this year on J1, so one of the options is San Diego. How difficult is to find a job there? I was last year in SD on a trip and I liked it a lot, so why not stay there for a while :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 stef.m

Myself and 2 other lads are heading over in May till September, we'll be looking for a group of people to stay with so accommodation is cheap. Let me know If you're interested!

Haven't got a clue where abouts we're staying yet or anything but we're heading over on the 21st of May!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IrishOutreachSD

Here are some hostels you can stay in for the first few days before getting a more permanent place to stay in San Diego.

Downtown is very close to the airport and check out 2 hostels: USA Hostels, 726 5th. Ave. San Diego. www.sandiego@usahostels.com
    619-232-3100

Hostel International 521 Market St. www.sandiegohostels.org
    619-525-1531

If yer going to SD go straight to the sweet shoppe in belmont park and ask for jen. if you're there early ur garunteed work. gr8 job 2.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dan1990

How hard is it to find jobs out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spuddy1

I was just wondering if people have found anywere to live yet in san diego . Im headin over on the 31st of may till the beginning of September bu all the places we've found are looking for 1 yr leases ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Anyone any luck on finding any type of jobs or oppertunities or does it look more like just wait till you get over there and try your best?!

Not overly worried about accomodation, once we find jobs we'll figure the rest out!

@IrishOutreach, registered with ye, looks like you provide a great service! Any advice on the jobs front also?

Thanks,

• Advertisement

The best way to get a job is to get over asap. Not many places will hire someone who's not in the country, let alone not even have a social security number. Your best bet is to travel over and search when you get here in person.

Advertisement