Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 - San Diego

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

Jobs and reasonable accommodation will be very difficult to get so make sure you have a lot of money coming over - unless you want to live in a two bed apartment with 25 other irish people like hobos.

Regarding jobs (and accomodation), forget it until you get here. Wont be able to sort anything from Ireland beforehand. Remember, you have the rest of america as well coming here to compete with and the Irish summer students have a terrible reputation here.

The best place to start and first place to go when you get here is definitely Irish Outreach SD in old town. They are brilliant and will set you straight on the real expectations and reality of spending the summer in SD. And will help with the hassle of the paperwork you must first sort out.
    Oh and they are a non-profit organisation so dont be a prick and take all the services and help and give nothing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 unimon

Do Irish-Outreach not charge $40 though? They sound like a great organisation but I'm not sure what exactly changes in terms of job searching when we get over there..

You get your own job. It can offer advice and guidance and maybe use its contacts but you are not gonna be given a job by them!

There is a lot of other crap you need to sort when you get over, like getting your social security cards and numbers and they can be the one stop shop for all that.
    They will help with run in's with the law, any other emergency visa and passport needs etc.

Really it is nothing to pay as opposed to the hassle of that and the advice and contacts they can help with.

Oh and some advice for anyone coming here ...... do not even think of going near Mexico, especially TJ. Its a hole and you really risk not being able to get back into the states and really risk getting robbed and all your valuable documents, money and stuff taken. It is not worth it.

Cool thanks, it sounds worth it considering most of us don't have a clue about accom/SSN and that stuff.

I presume they have accommodation details over there as it's too hard to get something sorted before we head over..

By the way, for work, would they interview you before you get your SSN or do you have to wait to get that? We're heading over end of May to look early so would that make a difference?

I presume it would all be sh!tty jobs like in Sea World or other places like resort hotels maybe.
    I wouldnt know where to start looking.
    If looking for a reasonable job then that would really be too hard to find.

SSN can take a few weeks at least but I am sure they will interview before you get that, just have your documentation.

I would expect at least a month trying to find a job and about two weeks to find accommodation.

Remember you will have no credit score and no history and will have to fork out thousands up front for a deposit (maybe two to three months rent) and they will fleece you for most of that at the end - depending.
    All depends on the group of people you are here with i guess.
    Its a very expensive place.

I would think jobs are scarce and getting here early to get them is probably the best thing. But when is early????

Just be clever about it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 stef.m

I went over last summer in early May, it was amazing. Stayed in an apartment with like 15 people- which was unbelievable craic. Went to TJ which is surprising not as bad as people make out. You'll only lose all that stuff if you bring it down with you (why would you) and as long as you're with a group you'll be fine. As far as finding a job, if you're there early you'll be sorted! Don't worry about it. Some people slate the place because the didn't enjoy their time there.

Also you'll find accom grand, and you're SSN can't take afew weeks. You'll get it soon enough over there! AND only fools pay thousands for deposits!

Thanks for the info but the stuff you're saying seems a bit negative for the area.. Don't think you'd have to pay thousands up front for a deposit and the SSN shouldn't take a few weeks.

And i've had mates working in Sea World which isn't bad at all.

As I said, be clever about it.
    That was just things to expect.

Regarding TJ, you need to bring your passport, visa and money anyway just dont go waving it about down there.

But really! Why live in an apartment with 15 people?

Its not actually negative, just the reality of living here.

probably the best part of the trip, non-stop banter everyday and night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 musacbaby

Hey me and 3 of my friends are heading over to San Diego for the summer on the 24th of May. Super excited and all but a little worried about jobs and finding an apartment. We want to be close to most things and have it be as easy as possible to get around the place as we probably wont have cars...

Any suggestions on best areas for apartments / Jobs etc???

Also I know ID is a big thing over there for drink and clubs etc... im 21 but i know ill still be ID'd is i possible to get an ID card while im there that they will except cause i dont want to have my passport out all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Have a look at DMV CA - ID Cards. You should be able to get one of these as long as you have a social security number. The requirements also ask for proof of legal presence and a "Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure" will suffice. You'll receive this when you first arrive in the US, it will be stapled into your passport. It can take a few weeks for these to arrive though, so ordering it asap is necessary and having a permanent address too. I would advise registering with the Irish Outreach Center and sending it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

Anyone heading to San Diego should look up:

http://www.electricdaisycarnival.com/LasVegas/

supposed to me amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 superquinny

Hey!! :D
    Me and my two friends are heading to san diego on the 2nd of June!! They are both 21 and I am 20.
    Is it difficult to get into bars/clubs??? or is it mostly houseparties??

Yep. You'll have problems getting into bars. They are very strict on id here - even for 50 years old in a lot of places. They say they can't id some and not everyone.
    But if you find one that you will get in try stick with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 superquinny

Would it be worth the risk getting a irish drivers license of another girl of age and photoshoping my face on?? It worked for girls I know who went to Chicago last summer.

Nope.
    They check for government holigramy things on id's.
    And a lot of places won't accept non-us id with probably a passport only being ok depending in the place.

They are very strict here - far more so than anywhere else I've been in the states. It's different here. And with the influx of Irish summer students and the bad reputation they bring they will wise to any tricks and be even stricter.

You'll just have to find a lax place and stick to it if you can get in repeatedly.
    I wouldn't worry. You'll find a few places it'll just be restrictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Robbielad

Summer coming up fast now. Headin SD 4 the summer on the 23rd(a few days ahead of the rest tho). Anyone heading out around then. Prob gona stay try stay in a hostel for a few nites and then get accom sorted pronto ( save a few pennys) anyone up 4 sharing let me no. already been talkin to a few pple that wana share !!
    Epic summer awaits !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vivers09

headin out the 2nd of june to san diego on my own :( tinkin of bookin into a hostel for a few days till i sort somewhere to live out. anybody up for sharing accomodation? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vivers09

im headin over the 2nd of june, kno its a good bit later than ye bt if ye're still stuck for ppl to live wit let me kno. im headin over on my own so i lookin to find ppl to share accomodation with.

Robbielad wrote: »
    Summer coming up fast now. Headin SD 4 the summer on the 23rd(a few days ahead of the rest tho). Anyone heading out around then. Prob gona stay try stay in a hostel for a few nites and then get accom sorted pronto ( save a few pennys) anyone up 4 sharing let me no. already been talkin to a few pple that wana share !!
    Epic summer awaits !

I'm heading over to with two friends, they're going on the 21st but I'm flying out on the 23rd. We're looking for people to share with aswell, give me an add on Facebook there and we'll try sort **** out!

http://www.facebook.com/stefan.mooney

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RichieLynch89

Any other good hostels in the Pacific Beach area besides Banana Bungalow?

Yeah we're in Mission Bay Motel.. like 1 minute from banana bay. We're looking at an apartment tomorrow in pacific beach so if you're interested just mail me on this.. 3 lads and if we get more should get rent cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 0013frank

unimon wrote: »
    Yeah we're in Mission Bay Motel.. like 1 minute from banana bay. We're looking at an apartment tomorrow in pacific beach so if you're interested just mail me on this.. 3 lads and if we get more should get rent cheap
    Myself and a m8 (2 lads) just arrived in San Diego last nyt, wer doing a bit of couchsurfing at the mo.(i.e camping on a random strangers couch, n can't over stay our welcome) we'd well up 4 living with u on pacific beach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FeistyOne

http://www.avaloncommunities.com/avaloncore/nfloor.asp?comm=46&source=placescom

This is the apartment complex where we got in. It's a decent sized apartment, pretty sweet spot. Theres three of us and we have a friend stayin for June but to be honest we wouldn't mind two more. Compared to some of the stories i've heard i'd say 6 in a one bed isn't too bad. It'd be cheaper for all of us as well. Add me on FB, Eamonn Kelly is my name http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1505164855 and heres my email eamonn.kelly.1@ucdconnect.ie And for anyone else reading this, theres a good few apartments available in the complex and other complexes around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 yourmother10

FeistyOne wrote: »

This is the apartment complex where we got in. It's a decent sized apartment, pretty sweet spot. Theres three of us and we have a friend stayin for June but to be honest we wouldn't mind two more. Compared to some of the stories i've heard i'd say 6 in a one bed isn't too bad. It'd be cheaper for all of us as well. Add me on FB, Eamonn Kelly is my name http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1505164855 and heres my email eamonn.kelly.1@ucdconnect.ie And for anyone else reading this, theres a good few apartments available in the complex and other complexes around the area.

Hey me and my friend (both girls) are heading out tomorrow! Was it easy enough just to get the summer lease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 0013frank

We are two lads looking 4 accomo in San Diego if any1 is looking for bodies to bring the rent down. Were very easy going n up 4 the craic. If interested reply 2 this thread or pm

P.s We have teabags

FeistyOne wrote: »

Hey
    me and my friend are already in san diego and attempting to find accomodation, we are looking for an apartment for 3 girlies and visiting friends...
    How did you secure an apartment in avlon?? i was on to them before but they were a bit of a nightmare... how much are you paying??

• Advertisement

Hellooooo :D Anyone interested in possibly having roomies? 3 girls for the most time but one of our lad friends is comin over in july too... mail me on this if you would be interested... girls or guys not fussy really :) 2 of us are here already and we will be here till august middle or close to the end... we leave around the 27th but may hit Vegas first...

Advertisement