Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 - San Diego

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 musacbaby

0013frank wrote: »
    We are two lads looking 4 accomo in San Diego if any1 is looking for bodies to bring the rent down. Were very easy going n up 4 the craic. If interested reply 2 this thread or ring us on the new. US number we got: 858 405 1461.

P.s We have teabags

Hello there sirs... we are 2 soon to be 3 girlies in san diego looking for roomies... i believe that there are 2 beds for rent in Avalon at mission bay... hopefully... and we had a cunning plan that yous and us could share??? possibly... cool to meet up or facebook first... you can mail me on this for all that info and such...

Ps we love tea...:):D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

6 of us heading over in a few hours! Cant wait ot get over there, be joining the race for accomodation and jobs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FeistyOne

Looking for 4 people to move into our apartment. The deposit is 150 each and then it'll be 250 a month! Let me know if you're interested. It's in Mission Bay, 5 minutes from the beach!

add me on facebook- http://www.facebook.com/stefan.mooney

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

0013frank wrote: »
    Myself and a m8 (2 lads) just arrived in San Diego last nyt, wer doing a bit of couchsurfing at the mo.(i.e camping on a random strangers couch, n can't over stay our welcome) we'd well up 4 living with u on pacific beach

Are these people you know or like a couchsurfing website you found? Me and one friend are going to be traveling California in July. Flying into Vegas end of June for electric daisy carnival (if you're free the weekend of june 24-26 you should try get down for it, my friend went last year and he said it was amazing) and then onto San Diego -> LA -> San Fransisco throughout July. I know this is probably a long shot, but if boardsies would put us up for a night or two while we're in San Diego (even a place to put our bags) it'd be greatly appreciated. We'd just prefer to stay with some Irish whilst we're over there as apposed to some random hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cormac1991

Does everyone on this thread have a J1 visa? I don't have but I'd still love to hit San Diego for the summer. I wonder how hard it would be to get a job without the visa? Would I be better off waiting till next year and getting the visa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 yourmother10

Hey, looking for accommodation ANYONE looking for roomies? Up for the craic! We have seen somewhere in Fashion Valley, right by the trolley line and convenient for finding jobs etc if anyone wants somewhere contact me - Mary !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spuddy1

Hi me and my 5 friends are in san diego at the minute and staying in a hostel down town at the moment and really need to find a house anyone no of any ??? :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭shanefitz360

spuddy1 wrote: »
    Hi me and my 5 friends are in san diego at the minute and staying in a hostel down town at the moment and really need to find a house anyone no of any ??? :):)

are u lookin 4 roommates?? were in the same boat in a hostel downtown just got back from poudin pavement all day by the beaches and we got NOTHIN!! theres 3 of us so if u think ur up for some sharein give us a shout back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spuddy1

are u lookin 4 roommates?? were in the same boat in a hostel downtown just got back from poudin pavement all day by the beaches and we got NOTHIN!! theres 3 of us so if u think ur up for some sharein give us a shout back :)
    We did the same all day aswell what hostel u in??.. il ask the rest if they mind sharin with extras i dont mind as far as im concerned the more the merrier... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭shanefitz360

We did the same all day aswell what hostel u in??.. il ask the rest if they mind sharin with extras i dont mind as far as im concerned the more the merrier... :)[/Q

add us on fb :)http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1225907965
    :)

• Advertisement

We did the same all day aswell what hostel u in??.. il ask the rest if they mind sharin with extras i dont mind as far as im concerned the more the merrier... :)[/Q

add us on fb :)http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1225907965
    :)

We have found somewhere in Fashion Valley it's on a trolley line and it's only a bus ride away from PB. It has a pool and all the rest! It's a fairly big 2 bed, so we're looking for a god few more to fill it. If anyone is interested add me on Fb http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000597562310#!/profile.php?id=1001791590 :D

Oh it's also a handy spot cos it's near loads of restaurants shops etc. Job wise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

Be very careful with the amount of people you have in the apartment.
    They know all about that stuff and they do check regularly and keep an eye out. There has been many many stories of loads of "irish students" being kicked out of apartments cos of more people living than on the lease - and no deposit returned. The 'residents' of the apartment have to be listed on the lease.
    You will also run into problems with apartments with only electronic access as they will only give out one fob per listed resident. And usage is logged apparently.
    For others common access keys cannot generally be copied.
    And most will also have only the phone numbers of the residents in the phone calling directory as an alternative way to open doors or will only allow one nominated number per apartment.

And if you are talking the actual Fashion Valley apartments i think you are - they will be very strict on checking for other people in the apartments!! Its not a studenty place! I lived there. There are not really any other managed apartment blocks in Fashion Valley.
    But if you actually mean mission valley and the Village at Morena Apartments - thats a common place for students and common place for them to come and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Well,

Myself and my three friends are looking for a place? If you've found a place and need people reply to us on this or http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1434882897

We're easy going

PS We have Teabags....Barrys and Lyons!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

FYI: Anyone in San Diego this summer there is an Irish gathering at one of the Padres game (baseball) in July. PM me for more info.

That's just the Irish outreach event.
    Their website has the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 unimon

We still have room for 3+ in our apartment just by PB.. its in avalon where all the irish are so its great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭feathz

I'm hoping to head over to San Diego this summer with 5 others. Just wondering how those that went last year got on? Any tips for us in regards to jobs, accommodation etc??

Also, anyone else happen to be going this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sully1214

You know th way in america they read th month first then th day... lets say your date of birth is 6/10/1991 would u get away with it because they will read it as the 10th of June???

No. Doorman and servers and barstaff will be wise to the different style of dates of births and irish passports. Your passport anyway says the month as a name.
    No other ID would be accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 unimon

Passport only in San Diego..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dean.shallow

hey guys i'm thinking of going to San Diego this summer with my friends but i wanted to go to Huntington Beach as i heard it can be hard to find jobs/housing in san diego. can anyone back this up? also i was told it can be near impossible to get your social secturity number which is used for tax back? could anyone who went before shed light on this please. thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Br1anC89

I went to San Diego in 2010. It is difficult to find jobs and housing but if you get there early and look for these things straight away you should be able to get them. Look for jobs before all the partying because most people party and say they'll get a job later and then all the jobs are gone.
    I wasn't in Huntington but from what I heard, it's not great. I met a lot of Irish lads who moved to San Diego from Huntington because they said they didn't like it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dean.shallow

i wont be going until the 13th of june so from what i've seen all the early birds get there towards the end of may and ironically i heard the same thing about ppl moving from san diego to huntington because they couldnt get jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

also i was told it can be near impossible to get your social secturity number which is used for tax back?

Most places won't even hire you until you have your social security number. I went to San Diego for the first time in 2009 and arrived around the same time as you will be. We applied for our social security numbers and had them a week later. I guess it was less busy or we were just lucky. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eniko

Hi i see this is an old post buuut I just wanna ask you something :D i have been on j1 couple times and now I would looove to go to San diego. could you please help me out with some information like where did u work? do u know companies who accepts J1 workers?

Thank you! :)

Hi,

Has anyone ever been on a j1 to america for the summer? Im going at the end of may until september to San Diego, really looking forward to it. Am just wondering if anyone has been to San Diego (or anywhere else), what did you think of it? I'm only 20, does anyone think i'll have hassle with drinking and clubs? any other relevent info is much appreciated.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 M1ckysm1th

Hi,

I've got a question I'm 22 and heading to San Diego at the start of July for a few months I was wondering what part of San Diego would be best to get accommodation in? And I recently graduated with 2:1 BEng in Civil Engineering (with enthuses on structural and architecture) and would love the chance of a graduate opportunity with either a contractors or consultancy firm? Would anyone have advice on where to apply to?

Many thanks

Michael

Does anyone have any suggestion or exact contact to someone, to some company who is hiring J1 students?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Seaworld usually hire a load. Try and get security work it's piss easy.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply! Do you think they would send me an offer to get the visa?

did you work there? Actually i did send them an e-mail before, but no answer. Do you have any contact by the chance?

Advertisement