Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone owners: Anyone *not* using protective cover?

• 01-03-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi

Are any owners of imported iPhones carrying them around in their pockets without any type of cover? How does it hold up, wear and tear wise?

I believe that the screen is a hardened material, though I am not sure. However there is also the silver sides and the plastic parts to think about.

I bought an iPod photo two years ago and the silver back got very tarnished straight-away, and so did the screen. Once that had happened, as time went on, you did not notice much change.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

Mine is 4 months old; no protection and no scratches on the screen. I fell off my bike a few days after getting it and there's a noticable dint in the back of it but the phone works fine. Someone asked me if it's fragile when I was drunk last week so I dropped it on the floor to s show it's fine. No company's going to release a product like this that requires more care than its compeditors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I use a screen protector on the screen only. Rest of it is without case of protector. Few nicks and scratches but nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Not sure if I need one or not, but thanks for the info.:o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

I stick mine in an iPod sock when its in my pocket in case it gets scratched by my keys. When I pull it out I have the naked phone in my hand. That way I can fully enjoy it. I cannot understand people who buy a phone and then put a cover and screen protector on it. Whats the point of that - take them off in two years time and you have a perfect phone, but its obselete!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I use a Brando screen protector, and I keep it in a Neoprene case (that I've been using for the last 5 phones I owned :)

I was using it for a few weeks before and I didn't scratch the screen at all so I don't think it's that easily damaged. The screen protector I have is very good though and you hardly notice it's there.

@jpfahy: I use one because the screen is so important with this phone. I don't care if the case gets a few scratches but the screen (and therefore most of the front of the phone) is a functional part. Once you get a few scratches it will be annoying when trying to read something. And that doesn't have to be after 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

alantc wrote: »
    ....No company's going to release a product like this that requires more care than its compeditors.

Some of the iPods scratch just by looking at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

jpfahy wrote: »
    I stick mine in an iPod sock when its in my pocket in case it gets scratched by my keys. When I pull it out I have the naked phone in my hand. That way I can fully enjoy it. I cannot understand people who buy a phone and then put a cover and screen protector on it. Whats the point of that - take them off in two years time and you have a perfect phone, but its obselete!

Resale. Some people change their phones quite often.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have mine a month or so, not a scratch yet, and I keep it in my pocket, I do keep everything out of the same pocket tho (i.e. no change or lighter), seems fairly hard duty

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

I've had mine since last November and no protective screen. Goes everywhere with me, in the pubs, to matches, everywhere, And no scratches on the screen.

Little marks on the back, but who cares? A quick wipe and it looks brand new. I'm very impressed with the phone's quality. I hope Apple doesn't skimp with the next gen iPhones the way they did with iPods with the resulting huge increase on returns...

I don't believe in covering it up, it's there to be used and can take the everyday wear and tear really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

the glass is designed to be scratch proof and to be durable as it's a touch screen phone. it is quite robust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, I must admit I do a cover - ARTWIZZ SeeJacket Crystal.
    41wMfZjBp6L._AA240_.jpg
    It's a grand cover.. adds a bit of bulk but the lock button at top can be tricky to get to.

I'd say I'll use until I notice a few scratches / dents on the cover and then I'll probably bite the bullet and take it off and use the iPhone without any protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

One of the only reasons I haven't got one yet is that I'm fairly hard on phones.

Currently I'm using Nokia 5500 sport, which obviously isn't as good a phone, but so far it's withstanded being kicked around on cobblestones and being dunked in pints.

Find me an iphone that durable and I'd pay almost anything.

Advertisement